SAU Community

How careful driving a RB26

Hi guys,

This questions might be stupid but when driving with a rb26 (r33 gtr), how much do I need to care about revs, fast throttle let off and stuff like this. 

My car has around 380 crank hp and 310 whp. (Bigger injectors, twin plate clutch, stock boost)

Of course regular maintenance is done :)

BR

As long as it is warm but not overheating, oil pressure is right and the tune is good, you should do everything to it, all the time, except hit the rev limiter more than briefly.

If you are doing track work on good tyres, oil surge causing loss of oil pressure can be an issue.

If your tune is not right for your fuel octane, or you have a fuel system problem (failing pump, pump wiring, clogged injectors, failing regulator) it could ping and melt a piston (keep an ear out for that, it is a distinctive "rock in a tin can noise")

If your timing belt, and the idler and tensioner bearings have not been replaced every 100,000, do so ASAP.

If it is misfiring, stop pushing it and sort out the problem (many causes)

If it uses oil between changes (I'd suggest every 5-10,000klm depending on what you use and how you treat it), start saving for a rebuild (head and/or bottom end)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Duncan said:

As long as it is warm but not overheating, oil pressure is right and the tune is good, you should do everything to it, all the time, except hit the rev limiter more than briefly.

If you are doing track work on good tyres, oil surge causing loss of oil pressure can be an issue.

If your tune is not right for your fuel octane, or you have a fuel system problem (failing pump, pump wiring, clogged injectors, failing regulator) it could ping and melt a piston (keep an ear out for that, it is a distinctive "rock in a tin can noise")

If your timing belt, and the idler and tensioner bearings have not been replaced every 100,000, do so ASAP.

If it is misfiring, stop pushing it and sort out the problem (many causes)

If it uses oil between changes (I'd suggest every 5-10,000klm depending on what you use and how you treat it), start saving for a rebuild (head and/or bottom end)

Thanks so much for that info.

Helps me a lot. Btw i have the power fc installed, how high should i set the rev limiter? Any suggestions?

6 hours ago, fatz said:

If you are America (or wear a Gucci man purse in Australia) and like to sit in car parks in neutral banging the limiter for flames...they don’t like that

Haha no im not that type xd livin in europe (austria) my only goal is to keep that car healthy ✔

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joshuaho96 said:

Don't bounce off the rev limiter, do a gentle warm-up of the engine, wait ~5-10 seconds for idle to stabilize after cold start and don't exceed ~50% throttle or 3000 RPM until coolant is over 70C. 

Thanks

4 hours ago, djr81 said:

8000rpm.

Seems a bit high or not?