SAU Community

Rob's S Chassis track cars. Now with more s15 and less 180sx

robbo_rb180

Thats pretty much exactly where my filter is on the race car, no issues so far, obviously the GTR has a pair of BOVs forward and below that would get hit first.

I also have my oil cooler thermostat block up and forward of that location. It's all still behind the reo but potentially a problem in a medium or larger front crash

Also, having it angled down like that really helps tidy oil changes, and access to that location is good without getting under the car

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ActionDan said:

Awesome progress, well done.

Filter setup looks neat, not worried about it being damaged there?

Cheers, no issues with damage there as Duncan said it's out of the way in any major incident. 

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

Thats pretty much exactly where my filter is on the race car, no issues so far, obviously the GTR has a pair of BOVs forward and below that would get hit first.

I also have my oil cooler thermostat block up and forward of that location. It's all still behind the reo but potentially a problem in a medium or larger front crash

Also, having it angled down like that really helps tidy oil changes, and access to that location is good without getting under the car

Yep exactly same reason I have the cooler on the back of the radiator for that just in case. The reason we angled it was to get the fitting work but great to know for changes.

• 2 weeks later...

Well made it to the dyno and all run in with a soft base setup.

20221024_163623.thumb.jpg.0b9f215cd09fbfa835ccc9bcab6da455.jpg

Made 261kw and 450nm on 18psi.

IMG_20221024_172220_613.thumb.jpg.a16637ae13e35b5faf788fb7f9473fa6.jpg

Held it back as concerned about breaking the sr gearbox so Looking at the 350/370z gearbox conversion and a r35 coilpack setup as was breaking down at 20psi.

Got to now rebleed the brakes, adjust front camber washers as struggled getting tie down straps on, fit rear wheels and get an alignment.

Looking at 10th November for first outing at QR to shake it down and see what else needs sorting before committing to events next year. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Looking very spicy, will be entertaining trying to hold it straight when it comes on haha

Right foot should be able to help a little, I am more concerned about the sr gearbox.

11 minutes ago, bcozican said:

💪 ducting looks good too

what coils setup ?

Cheers, currently old splitfires but looking at Taarks or PRP R35 kits.

Minister of finance has agreed to mods but need to sell my pinball machine to fund it. First world problems.

Edited by robbo_rb180

I missed the last bit, have you chosen between the pinball machine and the minister of finance yet?

Anyway, in your old thread you said "Also fitted and wired up a new oil pressure/temp sensor and sorted fuel pressure with the old oil pressure sensor now reading it. Got a cheap Android double din wired up and have the link data showing on real dash app. "

Can you expand on that? Are you using CAN2 inside the Link to one of the Seeedstudio adapters to the head unit USB? It's time for me to do something similar for the stagea as neither the Epson EJ1 nor the Nismo dash have stood the test of 3 decades....

46 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I missed the last bit, have you chosen between the pinball machine and the minister of finance yet?

Anyway, in your old thread you said "Also fitted and wired up a new oil pressure/temp sensor and sorted fuel pressure with the old oil pressure sensor now reading it. Got a cheap Android double din wired up and have the link data showing on real dash app. "

Can you expand on that? Are you using CAN2 inside the Link to one of the Seeedstudio adapters to the head unit USB? It's time for me to do something similar for the stagea as neither the Epson EJ1 nor the Nismo dash have stood the test of 3 decades....

Hey Duncan,

Yeah pinball machine is going to fund next mods. Good game to being a star wars premium. 

I have the usb tuning cable running to the head unit then run realdash app 

http://realdash.net/index.php

You can run it over CAN to a usb adapter the info is on the site. I have found it great to use once you get use to it and setup. If you want to get fancier and send messages over CAN if ecu can do it there is the toucan device

https://www.hawkemotorsport.co.uk/Store/jti-toucan-display

Thanks mate. Some of the doco is conflicting (or out of date), I understood the tuning cable was not an option for the G4X plugins and you had to use the USB adapter (or CAN to OBD2 to OBD2 bluetooth to head unit), good to know the cable is an option.

Do you run a USB splitter of some sort so you can still plug in easily?

15 minutes ago, Duncan said:

Thanks mate. Some of the doco is conflicting (or out of date), I understood the tuning cable was not an option for the G4X plugins and you had to use the USB adapter (or CAN to OBD2 to OBD2 bluetooth to head unit), good to know the cable is an option.

Do you run a USB splitter of some sort so you can still plug in easily?

I am still using g4+ so heaps simpler. G4X needs an adapter, needs to be run on can2 to the adapter. I'll see if I can find the adapter I bought to test with. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well test day finished up early......

Started day with power steer res being too full and sparying part of the bay, bonnet and windscreen. Car also felt really weird in the corners so adjusted rear Sway bar and dampners which helped the under steer but still moved around and heap.

The steering was feeling weird the whole time then one of the hoses stared leaking from the fitting at the rack so sorted that which was fun to do 😅

Got it sorted for a few passenger ride sessions but car still was weird moving around in the corners. Just thought should check the pressures as started at 24psi cold they weren't coming up so went 30psi and that sort of fixed this weird shimmying thing but steering felt off. Went for one more session and dropped a wheel in a corner and when it got back on the track heard a bang and lots of clunking 😪

Got it up on stands in the pits and found the diff making noises so called it there. Don't know if it's the gears or the centre yet.

So got a few decisions to make on whether to fix it or jump into the new car........

20221110_072903.thumb.jpg.ea9b6f0143ea2a239c39179477453436.jpg

IMG-20221110-WA0001.thumb.jpg.4e56f7f778099b826211bab464463024.jpg

IMG-20221110-WA0003.thumb.jpg.a7602a6eb1a38911c3e663c1bb394c42.jpg

A quick video of the new cars interior, so much nicer than the 180sx. Now with few issues with the 180sx may be time to swap drive line over.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bcozican said:

not got alot of luck there do you

new car interior really nice - wish they all stayed that way

Is it literally going to be everything from the 180 straight into the s15 or anything new?

Yeah this car has fought hard with this rebuild. Almost a sign to give up on it.

Yeah was going to swap engine and diff. Was going to upgrade box when came time to swap it.

S15 is pretty much good to go besides ecu and display, looms all there. Got evo brakes to go on. Suspension wise its mca golds, pedal box, multiple pick up points on subframes, flat sway bar conversion. Ex ipra car that was setup really well. 

3 minutes ago, ActionDan said:

It's called a test for a reason lol Shit breaks, fix repeat go fast etc. 

Interior looks lovely :)

I have a soft spots for 180s vs Silvia's, so many times I have almost bought a 180 roller but I can't part with my shit heap. 

Yeah that's it. Just issue of no where to work on it now as shed won't be up until February now with the new builder and probably not setup properly with power and hoist til April.

Yeah it's a super nice car, love the way the 180sx is looking now but s15 chassis is so much better. 

• Like 1

Just now, ActionDan said:

Properly caged they are very similar, especially when you can run an S15 subframe in everything else. 

I will not be tempted again... 

Probably, be interesting to feel the difference as I could tell between the sil80 and s14 I had.

Well it will definitely be a roller by Xmas next year. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 9:49 AM, robbo_rb180 said:

Yeah this car has fought hard with this rebuild. Almost a sign to give up on it.

Yeah was going to swap engine and diff. Was going to upgrade box when came time to swap it.

S15 is pretty much good to go besides ecu and display, looms all there. Got evo brakes to go on. Suspension wise its mca golds, pedal box, multiple pick up points on subframes, flat sway bar conversion. Ex ipra car that was setup really well. 

Yeah that's it. Just issue of no where to work on it now as shed won't be up until February now with the new builder and probably not setup properly with power and hoist til April.

Yeah it's a super nice car, love the way the 180sx is looking now but s15 chassis is so much better. 

Jeebus, that's a long wait for the shed!

How are you doing all this work without a garage?! 😮

1 hour ago, MBS206 said:

Jeebus, that's a long wait for the shed!

How are you doing all this work without a garage?! 😮

Some stuff happened and I can't legally say but got a new builder who has jumped in at short notice and fitted us in.

Not doing anything now but a mate was letting me use his shed to get it together and running. 

• Like 2