SAU Community

"Popular on SAU" popup - how to disable

Recently I have started getting a very annoying popup in the bottom LH corner of my screen labelled "Popular on SAU" with a preview of a post and post heading - I can't find a way to disable it nd it's giveng me the sh***s. How do I get rid of it?

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, PranK said:

Fwiw this has been in the bottom right corner for many years now. It's not new.

Yeah, but it comes and it goes. Some days I see it, others not. This has been going on for a long time, so it's not related to the recent software update.

I use NoScript to kill most site automations on most sites (and block SuckFace and other trackers) so I'm always willing to credit odd behaviour of this sort of shit to my own hamfisted actions to cripple other stuff. But even if I permit everything to run on SAU I still get uneven behaviour on that stuff. That "popular on SAU" thing annoyed me every time it appeared on the lower RHS also. Mainly because it would hover over something else that I might want to click and I'd have to scroll. Trivial stuff, I know.

No, not trivial at all. If I don't hear from people on issues that affect them then I can't make things better. I'm trying to promote content to encourage clicks but I need to balance that with usability and experience. If I'm reducing people's positive experience by trying to get clicks, then its not worth keeping it.

It's hard to keep making the ends meet these days.

I'm happy to disable or try to show it to guests only. 

I actually quite like this feature (mostly).

Sometimes, older topics have come that contain DIYs that I know I will need soon but haven't started searching for yet.

In some cases, it does obscure the very bottom of the screen.

21 hours ago, PranK said:

What about it gives you the shits? Does it get in the way? You using desktop or mobile?

As per GTSBoy, it seems to always be in the way of something I'm reading or want to click on. I'm on a PC, and until a couple of days ago had never seen this popup. I thought it was something new.

• 4 months later...

For the love of god, please say you made it a user setting. I've logged in here after awhile away coz I'm buying a new stag and that thing is as annoying the mosquito you can't find at 2am...

The only thing I'll add to this is that lots of these 'Popular' pop up threads are years old.........and then you get somebody that doesn't check the date trying to reply to MrSkyline from 1956. 

Dragging up relics from the past.......thats called archaeology!!!!!  So maybe change the 'Popular on SAU' to 'Digging up Dinosaurs '

If it gets clicks that funds the SAU machine I'm happy to deal with it

Without funding what would happen to SAU?

As long as I'm not getting spammed with adds and shiz I say send it

People get spoilt, or forgot about little things, like paying bills 

And yes, I'm drinking whiskey at the moment 

10 hours ago, niZmO_Man said:

It takes quite a bit of effort to modify the forum software, so the reports and threads are helpful.

What whiskey you drinking mlr?

Was just some cheap Johnny red mixed with Pepsi max

I do overly opinionated when drinking cheap whiskey, well, more so than normal