SAU Community

Am I getting scammed on my RB26DETT for a RB25DET

Im getting my RB26DETT rebuild and the shop is taking a long time . They have my engine since 6/14/21 and I still haven’t got it back they have been giving me the running around and finally today sent me a estimate and told me these are the parts that are going into my gtr

CP Forged Pistons Nissan Skyline GTS-25T R33 RB26DET 86.5mm +0.5mm 14.7 cc 9.0:1-SC7305
Manley Forged H Beam Connecting Rods 21mm Pin Skyline GT-R R32 R33 R34 GTS-25T R33 RB25DET RB26DETT
SKU# 14028-6
ACL Race H Rod Bearings STD Skyline GT-R 89-02 R32 R33 R34 GTS-25T 94-98 R33 RB25DET RB26DETT
ACL Race Main Bearings STD RB26DETT RB RB26 Skyline R32 R33 R34 7M2428H
ARP Main Stud Kit for RB20/RB25/RB26/RB30 - 202-5403 -
ARP Head Studs ARP2000 Skyline GT-R RB26DETT R32 R33 R34 202-4207 Nissan RB Cylinder Head Oil Drain Kit CP Forged Pistons Nissan Skyline GTS-25T R33 RB26DET 86.5mm +0.5mm 14.7 cc 9.0:1-SC7305
Manley Forged H Beam Connecting Rods 21mm Pin Skyline GT-R R32 R33 R34 GTS-25T R33 RB25DET RB26DETT
SKU# 14028-6
ACL Race H Rod Bearings STD Skyline GT-R 89-02 R32 R33 R34 GTS-25T 94-98 R33 RB25DET RB26DETT
ACL Race Main Bearings STD RB26DETT RB RB26 Skyline R32 R33 R34 7M2428H
ARP Main Stud Kit for RB20/RB25/RB26/RB30 - 202-5403 - Drop ship to Marcin 5/18/21
ARP Head Studs ARP2000 Skyline GT-R RB26DETT R32 R33 R34 202-4207 Nissan RB Cylinder Head Oil Drain Kit 

I looked up the cp pistons SC7305 on  google and found out they are rb25det pistons so I want to make sure I’m not getting a rb25det instead of my RB26DETT. What should I look for to find out if I’m getting scammed also does a RB26DETT have a long block or short block . Thanks 

TBH, you either need to trust your machine shop, or not.  The real work that goes into the engine is the machining and measuring, not so much the parts which seem like a pretty common list. There would be a bunch of gaskets and seals including the head gasket to add to that list, often a high flow oil pump, and a heap of external stuff like timing belt plus it's tensioner and bearings, hoses, accessory belts and often painting/powder coating the engine covers

The "short engine" refers to the block and rotating assembly (crank, pistons, rods etc). Here there may be costs for linishing or straightening your crank, particularly if you are getting a rebuild due to a spun bearing, and possibly even tunnel boring depending on the damage. Obviously they've decided you need to go 0.5mm oversize pistons (which is common) and will need them to bore out the cylinders then hone them for the required clearance for those pistons, and they will have to do ring end gaps.  The fact they are putting in standard bearings suggests they are OK with the crank, and they may need to deck the block for straightness after checking it. Depending on your goals and the machine shop's knowledge there may be some oil gallery work and/or enlarging the block oil returns

The "long engine" is the short engine with the head on. There is nothing in that list for the head so hopefully you are at least having it cleaned and measured, costs there can include closing and honing the cam caps if there is an issue, and often valve springs need replacing due to age or more aggressive cams. Some cams will require them the relieve the head for clearance too.

Bottom line, at east 50% of the cost will come from cleaning, measuring, machining and re-measuring. If they do any of that wrong your engine will not last.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2022 at 7:56 PM, Ben C34 said:

Ask them. 

While you are at it make sure they aren't building it to be low compression.

This is the only way to know. If they give a dumb answer I would not trust them with anything. My experience is that the people that really care are going to be very passionate about the parts they choose and why, which often leads to "my way or the highway" as they don't want to warranty an engine build that isn't their preferred formula. 

• Like 1

The engine is going to be an rb26 no matter what pistons are fitted.

If they manage to fit pistons that don't fit it will still be an rb26, it will also be potentially f**ked and not work, however you would think an engine builder knows what to .

Pretty sure rb26 crank and rods with rb25 pistons will hit the head.

On 1/3/2022 at 3:03 PM, ASTRO_GTR said:

@RB25DETonation 

what do I need to look for or look out for besides the pin heights to find out if it’s not a RB26DETT 

Also mate you arent checking pin height when you're sent an engine that is assembled.

On 1/2/2022 at 8:53 PM, ASTRO_GTR said:

@Ben C34 what can I look for than to find out if it’s a rb25det or if anything has been changed out 

The block has a serial number plate on it, too late now but you should've taken a photo before sending it out to make sure you got your block back instead of some random one they pulled out of a junk pile.

@joshuaho96 @Ben Camilleri@RB25DETonation the block i had was toasted so they got me a used RB26DETT block but that’s what there telling me but I want to make sure there not lying and trying to scam me out of my RB26DETT for a rb25det block because the CP Pistons they got me has me really suspicious . This is the only performance shop that can work on my GTR because they have 2 other GTR at the shop 

Edited by ASTRO_GTR

On 1/2/2022 at 9:13 PM, ASTRO_GTR said:

@joshuaho96the block i had was toasted so they got me a used RB26DETT block but that’s what there telling me but I want to make sure there not lying and trying to scam me out of my RB26DETT for a rb25det block because the CP Pistons they got me has me really suspicious . This is the only performance shop that can work on my GTR because they have 2 other GTR at the shop 

The serial number on the block will start with the engine code. If it starts with RB26 then it's an RB26 block.

@joshuaho96 @Ben C34 @RB25DETonation okay thanks . How els would I be able to tell if it’s a RB26DETT and not a rb25det? Please help I paid a lot of money to get my skyline GTR and get it imported . No disrespect to the rb25det owners but i don’t want to end up with rb25det and getting scammed out of my RB26DETT . It’s really stressing me out and the shop that has it is the only performance shop near me that can work on it 

Re rb25 vs rb26....there is not a lot of difference and everything is physically interchangeable with small detail differences. Like Josh said you can make sure the block was originally rb26 by looking for an engine number starting with rb26 (noting that brand new blocks are supplied without numbers so it could start as anything). A better check is rb26 block will have 05U cast into it.

The capacity of the engine comes from bore (86.5mm) x crank stroke (73.7mm) which is the biggest difference between 25 and 26 so as long as you get an rb26 crank back in the block it will still be 2.6 litre

Re the pistons, you need to ask the shop. Per above there could be a difference in the pin height which affects how far the piston pokes into the head/valves at TDC, but with aftermarket there are lots of combinations of pin height and target compression to consider.

Also, the head is totally different between rb25 and rb26 (noting the neo rb25 has a better head than rb26) and the externals like intake manifold, throttle(s) and exhaust/turbos etc are clearly different.

There is no chance the shop is trying to pass off a rebuilt rb25 as an rb26

• Like 1

lol not to mention that if you somehow got a GTR back with a RB25 in it, they would have had to do a lot more work to get that RB25 to run correctly in a GTR and retain AWD than they ever would by supplying a RB26 😛

There's an argument that a RB25DET Neo GTR would be better than a 26, but it requires so much specialized knowledge to get that going that absolutely 0.0% of people would ever consider it than simply supplying a RB26, because it would cost the shop way more time and money to do a scam like that than simply supplying a 26!

Just ask them about the piston. They may have actually just ordered the wrong part, or clicked the wrong button on a website which is way, way, way more likely!

Am I the only one that noticed that both the pistons and the rods are listed (in the OP) as being to suit both RB25 and RB26? Given that the Neo25 uses RB26 rods to go with the unique Neo25 pistons, it would seem quite reasonable that CP and/or Manley would have one part number that could be used on either a 26 or a Neo25.

OP, you are worrying about the wrong things. Follow advice above. Then start wondering why they are not telling you what the plan for the oil pump and/or drive is, why there's no mention of the head, gaskets, timing belts, water pump, etc etc etc. Ask them about those things and listen for a confident response. If the response is not confident, you will likely need to go elsewhere.

• Like 1

That list of parts would suit a RB26 block with a rb25 crankshaft. Is your RB26 crank toast and they are using a RB25 one instead? SC7305 pistons would poke out the top of the block at TDC and not work with the RB26 crank.