SAU Community

R32 full RWD swap

We're building an R32 for Pikes Peak and am strongly considering yanking the AWD to save weight, remove complexity, and reduce breakage potential. We're running MoTeC (already controlling ATESSA) and are going DCT so we can add enough TC strategies to go from mild to wild... putting the power down won't be an issue between TC and aero.  The big question is what am I missing?  I'm my head it seems pretty straight forward - 

Remove OS88 / Xfer case
Pull front axels (this is where I'm unclear what to do on the hub side)
Get DCT adapter plate
Bolt up DCT with 1000hp clutches
Fab up new cross member
Add BMW or aftermarket DCT Shifter
Get new length DSS Driveshaft made
Tune HGT 
Tune MoTeC
Connect paddle shifters and TC knobs to MoTeC
Throw in some secret IMSA sauce
Go racing

Like I said, seems pretty easy but I'm not sure what's needed to keep pressure on the inner oil seals on the front hub.  I know this is a drag car thing in AUS so hopefully someone has some notes or pics to help us out.

20220114_231141487_iOS.thumb.jpg.8940d82c84bc8c22c700a3b522a9fc09.jpg

Edited by LeadChange

There are RWD engines for Skylines. If you're going to spend cubic dollars with going RWD, you'd be best off considering getting an RB30 built with the 26 head. That way you don't have to futz around with all the silliness of the front diff in the 26 sump.

But then......why run a GTR as a RWD? Just start with a RWD Skyline?

• Like 1

Not going to debate the GTST v GTR topic... this is the car I have, the one I built, and the one that's going up the hill.  Yes I know purists are going to be pissed but it is what it is.

I forgot to mention we're going dry sump so the AWD sump will be gone anyway.  Shedding all that weight and making the car more pointy is one of the biggest reasons I want to make the change.     

Is pikes peak paved all the way to the top these days?

You definitely need to address the hubs because the driveshaft keeps them on. I've never done this but assume R32 GTST front uprights and hubs are the simple solution.

More information on the car would be interesting, perhaps even motorsport build thread over here: https://www.sau.com.au/forums/forum/272-motorsport-builds/

• Like 1

Might be easier given going rwd and dry sump at same time just source all r32 gtst front setup (which is also half s chassis stuff)) and put that in. Job done and no if buts or maybes

I use gkteck drop knuckles in my r32 gtst 20mm drop assist suspension geometry with lower etc and 1.4kg per knuckle lighter than std

Gonna need that traction control ive got all what you have setup and prob more aero etc i dont have tc yet but run boost by gear and dbw and using advan 050 295 semis getting power down in 2nd and 3rd out of corners with anything more than about 550rwhp is tough

Good luck let us know !!!

Btw the Seyamax Admix R32 gtr time attack car in Japan did what your thinking and went rwd

Edited by bcozican
  • Like 1

You might be saving weight, but you will be sacrificing a heap of grip.

Nissan raced these things in Oz, and they ran as AWD, not as RWD, and were basically unbeatable, even over a 1000k race (Bathurst 1000). I don't think Nissan would have spent $$$ developing the AWD system if its additional grip factor did not overcome the additional weight factor.

• Like 1

On 14/02/2022 at 8:50 PM, blind_elk said:

Nissan raced these things in Oz, and they ran as AWD, not as RWD, and were basically unbeatable, even over a 1000k race (Bathurst 1000). I don't think Nissan would have spent $$$ developing the AWD system if its additional grip factor did not overcome the additional weight factor.

This, if you wanted a fast RWD then a M2 would be a much better platform overall to compete with.

AFAIK in the R35s disabling the AWD makes them especially awful to drive because the suspension isn't really optimized for rear-end grip, it leans quite heavily on the AWD system. The R32 to my knowledge is similar, the rear-end has a pretty ridiculous amount of anti-squat from the factory. 

• 2 weeks later...

not dogging on your quest to make the best out of your skyline but i honestly would think in what you're wanting to do awd would be much better considering the front will pull you  through the corners instead of having just the rear push you through them and possibly allowing the rear to overpower the front pushing you into a drift state [ not saying you wont be doing some drifting as it is] Me personally if i were in your shoes i would spend the time and money building the motor to its max potential and reducing weight elsewhere if possible. but thats just my 2 cents

On 2/15/2022 at 5:04 AM, joshuaho96 said:

The R32 to my knowledge is similar, the rear-end has a pretty ridiculous amount of anti-squat from the factory. 

But this is reasonably easily fixed by lowering the front mounts on the LCA.

On 3/1/2022 at 2:20 AM, GTSBoy said:

But this is reasonably easily fixed by lowering the front mounts on the LCA.

Right, just important to keep in mind that everything is engineered together as a system so you have to make those adjustments if you're going to do something as significant as deleting the AWD system.

On 3/2/2022 at 7:43 AM, joshuaho96 said:

Right, just important to keep in mind that everything is engineered together as a system so you have to make those adjustments if you're going to do something as significant as deleting the AWD system.

Well, maybe, but I'm inclined to say no. You should do that mod to any R32. RWD or AWD.