SAU Community

V36 fuel economy and pinging

And the comedy continues. I don't get it. If you are so adamant that you are right with the tuning box, then prove it. Dyno before and after and 1/4 mile time slips. Prove us wrong. We have all been in the car modding community for long enough to know what are gimmicks and whats real. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Aramith said:

joined the v series group on facebook, there's 1250 members and most of ém have v series skylines THAT ARE LITERATE
It's australian. Thikning about swapping my v36 for a mitsubishi GTO.
Just istalled the GTR R-35 style headlights into my 370GT, They're kinda gimmicky but could come up good with powerful globes.
All yall who don't know what an ECu tweek is deserve to be suspended or banned and stop bullying new people with them. You Know Nothing.

Aramith i have had all the Vs done dyno runs before and after mods. You will be lucky to get 10hp more on a stock V36 with a tune. 

Get yourself some bolt on mods then get a dyno tune. Not a plug in from ebay. 

If it sounds to good to be true.....

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/08/2022 at 4:02 PM, V35_Paul said:

give the MAF sensors a clean first. I had problems with my V35 when oil from the K&N filter would get on them.

Have them a good clean and left them to dry for a few hours. Thought it had worked, but no. Today is like 28 and there's that rattle again :(

Do I need a scanner to check O2 sensor next? What comes after that, gallery gasket?

On 12/9/2022 at 1:25 PM, awsam said:

Have them a good clean and left them to dry for a few hours. Thought it had worked, but no. Today is like 28 and there's that rattle again :(

Do I need a scanner to check O2 sensor next? What comes after that, gallery gasket?

Did it work for a time?

The K&N filters aren't dripping with oil are they? 

On 13/12/2022 at 8:23 PM, V35_Paul said:

Did it work for a time?

No it didn't work at all. The next day it started again. The filters were blown with air after a service about a month ago. Pulled them out the other day, didn't notice any over the top oil. My pinging has been happening for a couple of years. But this year its quite bad. Only ever used 98 since purchasing about 10 years ago.

On 13/12/2022 at 8:23 PM, V35_Paul said:

Did it work for a time?

A guy commenting on this video seems overly confident adding slightly more 5/30 oil with LSPI solves it.
Pinging sound at 24sec

Edited by awsam

• 7 months later...

Its an old thread, but I saw something last night that had never happened before on my 2008 370GT Coupe.

I *think* I normally get around 500 kms between each full tank. I dont go to totally empty, but at least till it stops giving an estimate how much is left. I normally do most of my K's around the city, in traffic, and Im not a lead foot. I also see that if you add the KM's travelled (trip meter) plus the estimated range left to empty, its always more than I get.

On monday night, I did a trip from sydney to macarthur, mostly via freeway, back to sydney, and then back to macarthur, and then back to sydney the next day not using the toll road. Long story... and looong drive. Not all is freeway. When I got close to city (around pyrmont) with loooots of late night roadworks along the way, my trip meter said I had done around 300KM and the range indicated I had another 400KM remaining. thats an estimated 700KM on a single tank.

Are others seeing these kind of reading/estimates. Driving through the traffic soon after, it dropped pretty quickly. I made a wrong turn in the changed traffic conditions due to poorly posted construction diversion, and had a wasted tight loop through backstreets to get back on track.

Yea in the V36 my milage varies depending on where I go. The usual commute to and from work it gets to 12-13L/100km, but if I do a long drive to rural areas, consumption drops to 9.5-10L/100km