SAU Community

V36 fuel economy and pinging

49 minutes ago, sonicii said:

Yep, about the best you could expect from an ECU tune with no supporting mods would be about 10-15KW.

Anything that plugs into the OBD2 port and claims power/economy gains will be a scam ,just don't go there!

At the flywheel, it is quite a bit less at the wheels where a dyno measures power. From what I have read a stock 370Z is around 200kw at the wheels, so the 370GT would be similar.

depending on km & condition they would make at the wheels
Manual 195-205kw
Auto 190-195kw

bro's bro's bro's. The V series skylines are from like 2003, to like 2012. During this period Japan im[posed speed and kilowatt speed restrictions on their car's. Car's produced at this time can easily be tricked to get Way better performance by simple mods once the cars is shipped internationally. No one has these car's which this forum say's and all yall own skylines from the 90's. What's wrong with you's?!

On 9/18/2022 at 10:18 PM, Aramith said:

bro's bro's bro's. The V series skylines are from like 2003, to like 2012. During this period Japan im[posed speed and kilowatt speed restrictions on their car's. Car's produced at this time can easily be tricked to get Way better performance by simple mods once the cars is shipped internationally. No one has these car's which this forum say's and all yall own skylines from the 90's. What's wrong with you's?!

lol

1 hour ago, Aramith said:

Wow, just wow 🤦

12 hours ago, sonicii said:

Yep, about the best you could expect from an ECU tune with no supporting mods would be about 10-15KW.

Anything that plugs into the OBD2 port and claims power/economy gains will be a scam ,just don't go there!

At the flywheel, it is quite a bit less at the wheels where a dyno measures power. From what I have read a stock 370Z is around 200kw at the wheels, so the 370GT would be similar.

I just go off all the internet sites I see. Google search quick answers, Wikipedia, specific tuner sites all say the car is 244-245KW’s and it doesn’t say at the fly wheel or the rear wheels or the engine.

I assumed this forum would be stating the same figures for granted.

my apologies if these aren’t compatible as common dialect with this forum.

19 hours ago, Aramith said:

During this period Japan im[posed speed and kilowatt speed restrictions on their car's

Umm..  speed limits.. yes, all JDM cars are capped at 180KM/H.

Power restrictions?  nope.. there was a 'gentleman's agreement' between different manufacturers back in in the 90s, which is why you see several Japanese performance cars specify 206KW, with plenty of rumours flying about how much the figures on some were understated (Just look at the official R32-34 GTR specs, conveniently all 206KW)

However, that was all gone by the time the V series skylines came along.  A VQ37VHR with a claimed power figure of 245KW, is going to be fairly spot on and you aren't going to get a whole lot more without spending some $$ on more than just a few ECU tweaks.

Edited by sonicii

19 hours ago, Aramith said:

Thats right its school holidays.....

Troll level achieved.

Aramith these guys are right and also cheeky with there comments because they come across new members asking and stating the same thing from time to time.

you can do a search on youtube and find some crew doing test and debunking these cheap power increase mods.

I've had the V35 the V36 and now the V37. They all cost alot of money to make more power, V37 a little less because it has a turbo and a tune does help alot, But done by a professional. I was quoted $1400 for a tune (extra 35hp at the wheels if i'm lucky)

your best power increase for your car will be a full exhaust and a better air intake

• Like 1

6 hours ago, V35_Paul said:

Aramith these guys are right and also cheeky with there comments because they come across new members asking and stating the same thing from time to time.

you can do a search on youtube and find some crew doing test and debunking these cheap power increase mods.

I've had the V35 the V36 and now the V37. They all cost alot of money to make more power, V37 a little less because it has a turbo and a tune does help alot, But done by a professional. I was quoted $1400 for a tune (extra 35hp at the wheels if i'm lucky)

your best power increase for your car will be a full exhaust and a better air intake

The VR30DDTT isn't too bad for making power with. Shame it's an open deck block though.

On 21/09/2022 at 8:56 AM, V35_Paul said:

How do you find the lack of LSD after having it in the V36?

On 19/9/2022 at 6:03 PM, sonicii said:

Umm..  speed limits.. yes, all JDM cars are capped at 180KM/H.

Power restrictions?  nope.. there was a 'gentleman's agreement' between different manufacturers back in in the 90s, which is why you see several Japanese performance cars specify 206KW, with plenty of rumours flying about how much the figures on some were understated (Just look at the official R32-34 GTR specs, conveniently all 206KW)

However, that was all gone by the time the V series skylines came along.  A VQ37VHR with a claimed power figure of 245KW, is going to be fairly spot on and you aren't going to get a whole lot more without spending some $$ on more than just a few ECU tweaks.

Well how do I prove you wrong brother? Because I have 3 sources all quoting 15-20% KILOWATT increases from just ECU tweeks? And I’ve only seen scepticism about it in this forum.

what do you recommend? Not buy the eBay box claiming 15-20% power increase and up to 10% better economy for $250?

not buy an apexi aftermarket ECU for $750 that claims 15-20%power increase?

or not get stage 1 ECU tune from the dealers workshop giving another 40-50kilowat increase for $1500

bro, I only had the car 2 weeks and I had all these options given to me.

Edited by Aramith
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Aramith said:

Well how do I prove you wrong brother?

Oh, that's easy.. go to a reputable tuner (preferably not the one that claims 50+kw from an ECU tune alone), run it on a dyno for a base figure, plug in your 'special' box.  do another dyno run and post the results!

Connect and tune your after-market ECU, run it again on the dyno.. post the results..

Or you could save yourself some time/money and listen to the people on this forum that have been down this road for themselves and learn from their experience/mistakes.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Aramith said:

Well how do I prove you wrong brother? Because I have 3 sources all quoting 15-20% KILOWATT increases from just ECU tweeks? And I’ve only seen scepticism about it in this forum.

what do you recommend? Not buy the eBay box claiming 15-20% power increase and up to 10% better economy for $250?

or not get stage 1 ECU tune from the dealers workshop giving another 40-50kilowat increase for $1500

Le sigh.

Point 1. You are right now communicating on pretty much the oldest and wisest Skyline forum in the world. Much knowledge was first disseminated here, before drifting out into the UK and US-centric forums. We know what is possible. We've been doing it for nearly 30 years.

Point 2. Of course the sources who want to sell you stuff will tell you that the stuff works miracles. And as you have been told already, it is trivial to adjust some dyno settings (or just hang the ambient air temperature sensor above the exhaust manifold!!) to get an artificially high power reading. And that's before you take into account the fact that your typical US dyno is calibrated to read horsepower from horses the size of large dogs.

Point 3. There is NO WAY you are getting 40+kW extra from a tune alone, on an already high strung NA engine. Not without something else added to the mix. That something else is not an exhaust or intake either, as these are only worth a handful of kW. I;m talking dyno fudgery, rocket fuel of some sort, or E85 plus a stupid amount of timing (stupid to the extent of being bad for the engine even if it isn;t knocking).

You need to stop this argument, because you are wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aramith said:

What do you think each one of these things do to the car so that it makes the claimed power?

On 9/23/2022 at 2:04 PM, colin.ssc said:

How do you find the lack of LSD after having it in the V36?

I would like to have an LSD installed. But i don't think my V36 had one, if it did it wasn't working very well

• 1 month later...

joined the v series group on facebook, there's 1250 members and most of ém have v series skylines THAT ARE LITERATE
It's australian. Thikning about swapping my v36 for a mitsubishi GTO.
Just istalled the GTR R-35 style headlights into my 370GT, They're kinda gimmicky but could come up good with powerful globes.
All yall who don't know what an ECu tweek is deserve to be suspended or banned and stop bullying new people with them. You Know Nothing.

Edited by Aramith
  • Haha 2

On 11/8/2022 at 7:44 PM, Aramith said:

joined the v series group on facebook, there's 1250 members and most of ém have v series skylines THAT ARE LITERATE
It's australian. Thikning about swapping my v36 for a mitsubishi GTO.
Just istalled the GTR R-35 style headlights into my 370GT, They're kinda gimmicky but could come up good with powerful globes.
All yall who don't know what an ECu tweek is deserve to be suspended or banned and stop bullying new people with them. You Know Nothing.

Post dyno charts bro

• Like 1