SAU Community

Turbo Beanie VS No Turbo beanie

djvoodoo

I can't seem to find many topics on this on SAU.

So there are 2 sides to this story that seem to play out.

1. They reduce radiant engine bay heat while increasing turbo efficiency by keeping heat in the turbine housing.

2. Can cause oil "coking" of the bearing due to keeping excess heat in/around the housing

Have watched a couple of vids by Engineering Explained and the like on YT, and performance wise, they seem to work well. 

Don't seem to have much real world data on the oil coking bit.

Many RB workshops run them in Aus and all over the world. Anyone have real world experiences with Turbo bearings failing due to Beanies?

P.S (i recently bought a turbo beanie and running it on a water cooled GTX3576 gen2)

1 hour ago, GTSBoy said:

Coking is not a thing on a running turbo that has cooling (ie sufficient oil and/or water flow).

Seems to be more related to when the car is shutoff as opposed to running? Opposing side to that is if the turbo is also water cooled, the water should in theory take out the excess heat anyway.. *After you've let the car cool down*

Similar to the BOV VS No BOV debate

I've always run beanies on turbo cars, never had an issue 

+1 for reduced enginge bay temps and no melted "stuff"

Coking was a thing on old only oil cooled turbos, water cooled turbos "percolate" negating this

#Physics 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, djvoodoo said:

increasing turbo efficiency by keeping heat in the turbine housing.

This part I find a bit some what controversial... 

I run one, have always run them to stop things melting at the track. All my turbos have been fine, just the motors explode instead 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

This part I find a bit some what controversial... 

I run one, have always run them to stop things melting at the track. All my turbos have been fine, just the motors explode instead 😂

Isn't there a delta in temperature across the turbine housing? Some of that heat has to go into generating KE for the turbine no? It's probably a second order effect compared to the delta in pressure so I doubt it'll be a huge benefit for performance but it's probably not entirely make believe.

10 hours ago, joshuaho96 said:

Isn't there a delta in temperature across the turbine housing? Some of that heat has to go into generating KE for the turbine no? It's probably a second order effect compared to the delta in pressure so I doubt it'll be a huge benefit for performance but it's probably not entirely make believe.

Maybe in a F1 car, but not our shit boxes to be honest.

Like GTSyoda explains, it's fark all.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was getting concerned smelling resin from my cf bonnet, so I put a beanie on my big single, I noticed MUCH lower engine bay temps. No more resin smells.

I also noticed slightly higher ECT/Oil temps on average - By around 2-3 degrees maybe, but I do run an oil cooler so thats no issues at all.

I've just heat wrapped my downpipe and its improved underbonnet temps even further.

1 hour ago, Predator1 said:

I was getting concerned smelling resin from my cf bonnet, so I put a beanie on my big single, I noticed MUCH lower engine bay temps. No more resin smells.

I also noticed slightly higher ECT/Oil temps on average - By around 2-3 degrees maybe, but I do run an oil cooler so thats no issues at all.

I've just heat wrapped my downpipe and its improved underbonnet temps even further.

I still don't understand why there is seemingly so little consideration paid to heat shielding in most single turbo conversions.

8 minutes ago, joshuaho96 said:

I still don't understand why there is seemingly so little consideration paid to heat shielding in most single turbo conversions.

Because most of these single turbo conversion guys only use it for drag racing or roll racing.

Car is on noise for like a whole 8 to 12 secs.

Put any of those cars around the GP Circuit at Eastern Creek and watch things melt.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Because most of these single turbo conversion guys only use it for drag racing or roll racing.

Car is on noise for like a whole 8 to 12 secs.

Put any of those cars around the GP Circuit at Eastern Creek and watch things melt.

100%. Mines already shielded on the side, all the way from the ABS down to the rail, plus i have heat reflective tape all over the body by the hot side inc firewall.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Predator1 said:

100%. Mines already shielded on the side, all the way from the ABS down to the rail, plus i have heat reflective tape all over the body by the hot side inc firewall.

The way it should be done!

Most of these "Instagrammable" cars would ignite after one lap of a real circuit.

So, what's the goto for turbo blankets? What are you guys using? Asking as someone who hasn't looked into this much before.

4 hours ago, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

You have this uncanny ability to make me worry about oddly specific things. In a good way. Yes, I'd like to go around GP Circuit at Eastern Creek and no, I don't want to watch things melt. Not that I'm running crazy power but stuff still gets hot.

38 minutes ago, soviet_merlin said:

So, what's the goto for turbo blankets? What are you guys using? Asking as someone who hasn't looked into this much before.

I'm just using a PTP one, so far it hasn't spontaneously combusted yet lol... Has been two motors, plenty of heat, plenty of anti-lag LOL..

• Thanks 1

Truck spare parts have quality beanies

Most of the aftermarket stuff is average or costs an arm and a leg

• Thanks 1

Beanie stops paint fading on the bonnet. But it does makes the bearing housing and turbine housing extremely hot. In cases of oil cooled only or people can't be stuffed connecting water pipes, turbos run without the beanie lasted alot longer.

• Like 3