SAU Community

PonieBoi R32 Sedan Build

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2023 at 5:54 AM, PonieBoi said:

Rears can tuck 17x9 +30 with stock arms (bought camber arms all round just in case)

20 hours ago, GoHashiriya said:

Looks really nice, good work

Except that it is clearly too low at the rear (and presumably at the front) and will handle like a bucket of puss. The suspension arcs are not supposed to work with the wheel pushed that far up into the well.

If you're going to run it that low then you really should be using different bushes to push the rear subframe up towards the floorpan as far as it will go, and drop spindles. Drop spindles at both ends. The GKTech ones are good, and you will need/want to use their upper and lower arms with them also.

Edited by GTSBoy

On 05/04/2023 at 1:43 PM, GTSBoy said:

Except that it is clearly too low at the rear (and presumably at the front) and will handle like a bucket of puss. The suspension arcs are not supposed to work with the wheel pushed that far up into the well.

If you're going to run it that low then you really should be using different bushes to push the rear subframe up towards the floorpan as far as it will go, and drop spindles. Drop spindles at both ends. The GKTech ones are good, and you will need/want to use their upper and lower arms with them also.

Coilovers are how they came out of the box. Only just got the car home today.

Got camber arms for front and back but don't really need them.

Got the car home for the first time in nearly 6 months.

Fresh kit, paint job and wheels.

Next on the list is chucking in a non hicas subframe which I'm in the middle of doing the gktech reenforcement plates on, and also will be looking at new injectors and one of mine has a leak.

PXL_20230407_042956015.jpg

PXL_20230407_043025875.jpg

• Like 2

Now that I can go back to working on this thing. Back to trouble shooting.

One of my problems is the car doesn't like to start again after it's hot (hot start). I have to disconnect the fuel pump to starve the motor, reconnect and start.

Got the injectors tested and cleaned, pretty much all above board. Will wack them back in, take the car around to Jaustech (SA), get the hot start config looked at.

PXL_20230412_072049789.jpg

Screenshot_20230413-115224.png

On 4/7/2023 at 3:38 PM, PonieBoi said:

Coilovers are how they came out of the box. Only just got the car home today.

Got camber arms for front and back but don't really need them.

What GTSBoy was mentioning has nothing to do with if they fit or not while stationary.

At super low ride heights, the top and bottom arms, along with the tie rods, move into some very odd areas, where as the wheel travels up and down, it will actually start to turn left and right.

Low ride heights, end up with bump steer.

Perfectly fine if you have a show car, but if you want to actually be able to drive down the road and have the car NOT automatically turn left and right unpredictably (with no steering wheel input) then super low height won't work. Camber isn't the only thing you need to worry about...

On 13/04/2023 at 7:09 PM, MBS206 said:

What GTSBoy was mentioning has nothing to do with if they fit or not while stationary.

At super low ride heights, the top and bottom arms, along with the tie rods, move into some very odd areas, where as the wheel travels up and down, it will actually start to turn left and right.

Low ride heights, end up with bump steer.

Perfectly fine if you have a show car, but if you want to actually be able to drive down the road and have the car NOT automatically turn left and right unpredictably (with no steering wheel input) then super low height won't work. Camber isn't the only thing you need to worry about...

I know what he meant haha. I've raised the car since then but the moment I got them out the box without adjusting them, that's how they sat.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been a minute. Haven't really done much with the car. Just enjoying it.
Pretty much finished my non-hicas subframe.
Figured I'd re-enforce the tabs and mounts before it gets painted.
It's not pretty but for my first time welding, itll do alright haha.

dzvHClmW1EIEbTmayOdmR3dhNmQgbiJgETJkwb6a9lHkPhNIfT_Le6XklAvLcA1Dgah6yAXiyYp56vM6nhmd7wqnGCDX8UO-QXExDGh-T7YBuNUSudVh5x95_ZT9GQR1k1bqRMeyxp-XBhzKlI2gOw1iB7F6tkeZFCrUTniztHB7sF2-Zy31MjgJlL8floVZva_bD43qB4AAQZe3LopSrhFda6fwUW9rNF_CW7FYlvfZNFQ6B3iJfEJAx5zxpQq4kpY5rYJOMS8VvHDMmCEGVXaUFyqLkNpQ6nMM-xCnTULhIShIRJS5IFVkiiRqEkO_5f1ZXzftFGaNf223ATn6bRaIaJFey5LIhoJzZ5V5vnxzFhpZbFXt_p4mMQpdfD4N41tJDgiQqOl3hvKX_RUTemRqpSnl3zBxeMVrqeKAo7zGkkJa_EnVWMNbuAveq0_bl3n0GgldyPRyKRpwnSKPYlKQ5Zibr29njHfL6jTVnJbQivXm05G0EIBV1OJxRdS4lWUOzWMNpr-5p8iK1e_k52aQ6xGonPxpO8D_hiOvQG1Npv3Y-s9p2VVFl8a73LTKIEoTik5hgDpddS3KxDV2A8CoDVSYXWhTCGRD1hO30WmpFzc3-PQyI9igOIQZcxkLmIKkVPSvATLrBRusoc-YrJumY4l_DeeDIyeo8pszwTbt6nhRQEeg72yFJ8cZnzivTPWkT_lECkfzo-VvntwP0EK1ZyqPxwuS3PTlczbqizEVsXtspMarCb1Arg6J0JULaKmtvVhE0UhaHOeuzSJxphWrFHudYt1Cmnew9kNzypnFGhQ_xIxD1B7GL7l1w3KN46Ne6oqvA7Tj5t8ejlNluGWBfdueaE1rj9lcfTwk6CGaICc1YnHlNHZgiZKOVyG4ZcXH6xPhRSYU8cnX4Aqkryq5nBiP-8wVMGdIkTTNK-SmuxnOGQ=w1328-h1000-s-no?authuser=0

Pulled my knob too hard (haha) and shifter bushing became non existent. Went to get a gktech solid bushing from Sleekas and it turns out the bushing has worn that much, I need to get a new/not f**ked shifter. 

If anyone has other aftermarket options they have used, hmu.

PXL_20230603_034304178.jpg

PXL_20230601_071522531.jpg

Turns out there are 2 different sized shifter balls, and therefore 2 different size shifter bushes - noting they might both have the same outer diameter where they go into the gearbox

Looks like R32 sedan is the smaller shifter ball