SAU Community

R32 Nostalgia

On 3/5/2023 at 8:04 PM, The Bogan said:

It looks real nice in the picture, and still has the stock rims which is a bonus, looks like it has been loved

On 3/5/2023 at 8:45 PM, MBS206 said:

That looks clean as!

Goodluck!

Bone stock car which is pretty rare these days. One of the things I like about the GTS-4’s is that usually they’re unmolested as they’re slower than a GTR for the older guys and they’re not RWD so the drift kids haven’t slid em around. Usually grandpa spec.

FFE5883A-4E00-4E6B-B654-800EAF6A0BF1.thumb.jpeg.e488892a3e82ca46d2c5dec4e851fa28.jpeg

0810D7CB-184B-4FAB-895A-4356D369514C.thumb.jpeg.ed7bb5163f9b331dd594de2820aa820a.jpeg

you know it’s grandpa spec when it’s got the factory option parking pole

On 3/5/2023 at 8:02 PM, Duncan said:

Nice, limited edition KH2

Super rare AF lol. I’m still kicking myself that I didn’t buy the DH0 one that came up in November.

Ah well. 1 of 2276 made in KH2 instead of  1 of 364 in DH0.

actually by the numbers only 17k GTS-4’s made compared to 44k GTRs

• Like 1

On 04/05/2023 at 3:25 AM, r32-25t said:

Maybe when buying new the price difference wasn’t that much and buying the gtr just made more sense 

Yeah probably. When new the GTR was roughly 4.5M Yen, the GTSt was about 2.5M Yen and the GTS-4 split the difference and was 3.5M Yen. They made a lot more of them in the first batch that came out with the GTR (same chassis after all), but halved the production numbers for series 2. Meanwhile for GTRs they produced double the amount after the first release. So sales numbers for the GTS-4's can't have been that shit hot.

On 04/05/2023 at 10:25 AM, Dose Pipe Sutututu said:

Get an AWD RB25DET NEO ready to slot in, solid lifters and VCT dis dat. 

Yeah Stagea engine did cross my mind. Billet block and header is on my fap list.

If I look at this as a multi year plan...
Phase 1 - interior upgrade + modern ECU

Phase 2 - exterior upgrade + suspension

Phase 3 - engine upgrade

Main objective right now is to have a car to take the wife and kids on weekend car cruises once in a while to get back into the culture.

If I find a nicer car that comes up for sale before Phase 2 I'll probably flip it.

• Like 2

Current snowball/fap list looks like this:

• Phase 1
    • Replace sound deadening with new deadening and underlay
    • Plush dark grey carpet
    • Whiteline rollbars and bushes
    • Speeduino ECU
    • Replace tacho with single RPM tach + 2 digital MFDs (porsche style) + custom 3d printed cluster cover + delete speedo cable
    • 3d printed centre console cover + 13.3" android touch screen
    • leather retrim of dash and centre console
    • R34 M Spec GTR front seats + reupholstered R32 GTR seats
  • Phase 2
    • Widebody kit
    • S14 rear subframe
    • wider wheels
    • GK tech links etc.
    • electric power steering conversion
  • Phase 3a
    • 8HP75 gearbox + shifter delete
  • Phase 3b
    • bigger engine - either RB25DET Neo from Stagea or fresh build RB30
    • GT35 MHEV e-turbo to chase the 1 lambda
    • aircon upgrade
    • Fuel upgrades etc to support bigger better engine
  • Phase 4
    • Full hybrid EV motors (alternator replacement + torque convertor replacement) + 400W 17kWh battery pack from Jeep Wrangler 4Xe

I've structured the mods with optionality so it's staged from mildly time and money sink to full retard, with increasing sunk cost and ability to sell the car without the upgraded parts for a better car (probably a newer GTS4 or a GTR). I'll probably never get to phase 4, that's the moon shot.

The good thing is that I'll never upgrade to an R33 or R34, so chances are even if I change the underlying car I'll be able to move the parts over.

• 2 weeks later...

Waiting for car. In the meantime going thru all my old shit. This weekend’s find in a box in the back corner of the garage…

007DD637-C696-4D88-9545-1D64A422885D.thumb.jpeg.337db6dfe8b5109b39dfb62ae7dd38a9.jpeg

R32 sales brochures and the brochure for my old R32 GTS V Selection 2

5CBFF682-2AB7-4B43-9C89-7D70DCAC8A16.thumb.jpeg.443c6d7765c47847b822821d201525a9.jpeg

brochure for R34 GTRs and sedans plus optional parts list for 34’s and the M Spec that I’ve always wanted to get

9324D5A1-7167-4598-830B-325CC865950B.thumb.jpeg.16357e3fa38d1f2c7cf387afd4a6c10c.jpeg

brochure for a 260RS from another lifetime and my old man’s Ceffy

93433B02-68AB-48DC-B65C-EE4376BB5C57.thumb.jpeg.a5af0d598afc036e52e6fecdf989f903.jpeg

original sales brochure for the AE86 Sprinter that I bought for $600 back in the day.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/5/2023 at 6:03 PM, GTSBoy said:

If you could print me a hinge (that would work, which might be hard for a printed part) I'd happily send you beer. I made mine by using some mystery plastic sheet (nylon or something) about 2mm thick and partially scoring it to fold it to make the hinge. Worked, but was always on a limited future.

Found the lid in a dusty box at the back of one of the shelves. The lid might need a retrim at some point as it’s been nicked in a couple of spots.

Is the curved bit the one you wanted?

IMG_4867.jpeg

IMG_4869.jpeg

IMG_4870.jpeg

3 minutes ago, funkymonkey said:

Is the curved bit the one you wanted?

Nah, the actual hinge. With the fold in the middle, which is broken on yours too. Which is why I said it would be a bit tricky to print. The original has a kinda deliberate weak point in it to act as the hings, but it's solid moulded as one piece. I made my replacement by scoring a piece of sheet plastic with a knife, but it only lasted a few years of very infrequent use.

image.thumb.png.402a203058e4e43198302b2c374177a2.png

On 15/7/2023 at 1:37 PM, GTSBoy said:

Nah, the actual hinge. With the fold in the middle, which is broken on yours too. Which is why I said it would be a bit tricky to print. The original has a kinda deliberate weak point in it to act as the hings, but it's solid moulded as one piece. I made my replacement by scoring a piece of sheet plastic with a knife, but it only lasted a few years of very infrequent use.

image.thumb.png.402a203058e4e43198302b2c374177a2.png

Ohhh yeah was gonna say mine is snapped too. I kinda assumed I’d just get this:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/prestige-610mm-matt-black-continuous-hinge_p0294090

and cut it to suit

Small update… car has landed in Melbourne port! Should be in the driveway next week.

unfortunately I’ve found a slightly nicer GTS4 in Japan with less km and newer by a year, so might actually sell this one. Will make a call once I see it in person.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I set a budget for all of them and they all came in under so thankfully didn't spend too much. I think there's a couple that are 100% intact so I'll be using those, and the rest I'll 3D print the broken bits (which I can scan off the intact ones), plastic weld it, and keep as spares. So in reality, 2 pairs of non GTR good indicators, 3 broken ones to play with, and a pair of GTR indicators cos I wasn't sure if I'd do a frontend swap at some point - I've got a pair of GTR guards lying around begging to go on, in the same colour code as the car (who knew 12 years ago when I got the guards I'd find a super rare KH2 to match them 🤣).

When I was buying it I was thinking of moulding them and pulling copies of them for the community as aftermarket R32 indicators look super tacky.

Brand new vents from the Nismo refresh line, cos some muppet at the port decided to try to pull my passenger side vent out and break it into a million pieces.

And a pair of fake electric Mines style mirrors that came up cheap, cos I despise Ganadors.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...