SAU Community

Customs Notice on car parts $220?

Reedy

I bought in 2 shipments tein super street coilover $1253 and Nismo 555cc Injectors $939 as the weight was to large for 1 shipment through Perfect Run www.perfectrun.com.au;

Shipment 1.

3 of Tein Dampers + Nismo injectors: shipping costs = A$313

Shipment 2.

1 of Tein Damper: shipping costs = A$154

Shipment 1 has ben charged an customs assesment notice with;

Declared Value US57000

Customs Value A$718.79

Customs Duty $107.82

GST $112.93

Amount Due $220.75

Do I have to pay all this? Is this amount fair customs duty is 15% of value seem to be coorect? Do I or perfect run have to pay the GST as it does not say on the website GST is not included? I have sent perfect run an email as well and am waiting on them to reply.

I got a reply from perfect run the declared value is Japenese yen and the duty is correct 15% and GST is 10% of duty plus shipping but he say I have to pay GST "When you order the products, we didn't charge you any GST at all, which means we cannot pay GST. Australian government charges the GST as a part of the import taxes and all these import taxes charged by Australian government need to pay on your side." which I'm still not sure about has it does not say GST not included on website?

Yes mate, often it comes without duty if it sneaks through, but in theory the importer is responsible for paying GST and Stamp Duty. Since you are the importer you are out of luck.

GST is an Aus only thing, a company in Japan is under no obligation to charge it.

Mate you have a declared value of $57,000 US, I take it that is a type on your part here not what is on the customs docs?

I was stung the same way when I bought my car in and car bits in it. The customs broker called up and started chatting about what was in the car and the values, he said "this isnt for tax purposes" so I gladly told him as I felt an obligation to. I recieve the invoice for the customs and I have been taxed on all the car bits. Fortunately they were not for me and the other guy didnt mind paying. Paid nearly $3000 in tax all up for my stuff.

That looks like it should read ¥57,000. Apart from that the calculations look correct.

Duncan's right though - no matter where you get parts from, if you are importing them then you are liable to pay GST and Import Duties to the Government. Same as when you import a car.

• 4 months later...
That looks like it should read ¥57,000. Apart from that the calculations look correct.

Duncan's right though - no matter where you get parts from, if you are importing them then you are liable to pay GST and Import Duties to the Government. Same as when you import a car.

OK digging up this old thread to ask my question (I believe in recycling :( )... what about fees on importing USED parts?

I imagine Import Duties would still be payable - but what about GST - coz isnt that only charged on new goods - not second hand? (eg there's no GST on second hand cars is there?) So for example if I imported a second hand set of rims - would there be GST as well as duties?

Secondly - saw on today's Budget announcement by Costello a quick flash up on the TV screen saying "Import Tariffs Abolished" - anyone know what that relates too?

:(

Adam

why are there even tariffs on importing anything?

the govt sux.

What a stupid statement.

It's there to protect the jobs and livelihood of millions of Australians. It makes sure we are competitive with our products. It protects industy.

Well at least i got a laugh out of your moronic comment.

False declaration saying it's a gift is an offense. Where in the law book and how, not sure but I've been assured by a number of Customs officers that it is. Better be safe than sorry.

I've bought things from Greenline and they refused to mark it as a gift for this reason and it's easily understood I suppose.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm also thinking about getting some parts over from the US (cause there so damn cheap) my sisters over there was thinking of getting her to buy it there, then send back to herself or me.

Will she get taxed if it's hers getting sent back here? for herself

Also wondering what/if people have paid for air feight from US it will be probably be a big box and hopefully under 400 kgs

thanks

Had a few 'Smaller' things from Nengun now....nothing has attracted the tax yet...all has been marked 'Gift'.

Awaiting arrival of Exhaust system from them however....that will be more of a test!

• 3 weeks later...

I just imported a HKS GTSS turbo kit for my GTR, i bought it through Greenline. Paid $3430, customs wanted 10% GST plus a $48.85 fee (cant remember what for). Total $377 fee. The box was marked as a gift and I showed the receipt from greenline to the customs office.

This is the biggest and most expensive item ive had imported and had been lucky enough to of not of paid GST before. So yeh $377 on a $3400 turbo kit isn't bad..Still some $2000 cheaper than buying retail here in Australia.

• 5 months later...
does anyone know what amount you would have to spend to attract tax?

sorry for digging up this thread, but its better than starting a new one with the same shit

Just got a turbo sent from OS, got caught up with customs. The customs guy told me a grand was the limit, anything more you got slugged.