SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

Toyo Proxies RA1s - great in the wet, very good on the street (very sticky, traction similar to my old MT drag radials but can go around corners with these) - no good for track days as they turn into molten goo after 2 laps.

Edited by slapper

Here is a real tyre comparison, Same car, same track, same driver.

(I know some smart a$$ will make some crack about the driver, so I will get in first, yes I know the driver is crap!)

R34 GTR. Dry weather, Oran Pk GP

Yoka E300 265x35x18 1:27.3180 (Offical time)

Toyo T1R 275x35x 18 1:25.5 (Stop watch)

Mich Carrera Cup Slicks 240's 1:22.6884 (Offical time)

The E300 are a crap cct tyre.

Since the topic has somewhat shifted to semi slicks, what do you guys think of the RE55s? Or has anyone here use the Michelin Pilot Cup Sport?

Bridgestone Re55 and Dunlop DZ02G are the best semi slick tyres. There are plenty of cheaper options than both, but these are the best.

We did back to back testing of the Yoko semi slicks with the Dunlops, the Dunlops were .7 sec quicker around wakefield, same car same day. My feeling is the Dunlops are slightly better than the Bridgestones but I've never tested them back to back, both are brilliant.

Ok, so Im in the boat of needing new tyres again (the bobjane dude even said 'You back again ALREADY!' (suspension probs))

Soooo going thru this it would seem a few tyres keep coming up and rate highly with everyone. The rest there were some mixed reactions. I think 14pages is enough to narrow it down to the following.

Size I need is 215/45/17, I got the following prices today from BobJane with my SAuQld Discount.

Toyo T1Rs $250 (not bobjane)

Mich Piolet Sports $470+ (I can not justify that money)

Brig SO3s $330

Brig G3s $299

Dunlop SP9000s $350

So obviously the T1Rs are by far the cheapest. I have G3s on the car now and find them ok, but I think I could to a fair bit better. Duncan and SK rate the Dunlops quite highly, and they do actually know what they are talking about. And the SO3s dont really have a lot of info other than that wheels test...

So given the prices, tyres will be used on the street only, it is my daily car, and does a fair wack of highway miles. What would you lot go for?

I would buy Bridgestone S03s again, I've gotten nearly 20,000 kms out of mine with 1.5 deg camber and still rate em highly esp in the dry.

Wheels this month has a tyre test of 235/45 R17 size. The final ratings were:

Tyre_______________________Rating /100___Average Price

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx_________97.1________$285

Goodyear Eagle Revspec RS-02_96.9________$279

Maxxis Victra MA-Z1__________96.3________$225

Pirelli P Zero Nero____________96.3________$290

Michelin Pilot Preceda_________95.8________$261

Nokian NRY_________________95.8________$290

Federal 595 RS______________95.2________$148

Toyo Proxes T1R_____________93.4________$316

Linglong L688________________89.3________$139

Interestingly (for me, anyway) is that the winning tyre was a good all-rounder. In fact the Federal blitzed all the dry tests (tied with the Pirelli for hot lap time) and did ok in the wet cornering, but performed relatively poorly in the wet braking. I reckon if you took just that wet braking test out of the final results then the Federal would've won easily. But of course it's a semi-slick tyre so you might not get too many km's out of it on the road.

A similar batch of tyres was tested a few months ago in Motor I think (the results are earlier in this thread) and the S03 was comparable with the winners here, but again if you excluded the wet results it actually kicked their ass pretty significantly.

I've had everything from Ziex 326s and nasty compliance tyres (dangerous) to G'Grids (pretty good) to BFG Sports (average) in the past and the S03s take the cake.

It might also be worth having a chat to Scott at TyreZone Capalaba, he can pull off some pretty good deals on Falkens (street or street/track).

On another note I took some Bridgestone RE55s to the QR track day recently, these things are worth at least 2 seconds a lap (I improved my National Circuit time by about 4 seconds) and are phenomenal to drive on. They grip so much I was having a hard time getting it sideways which is normally NOT a problem....

A bit soft though, probably used 1/3 of them up on the day. :unsure:

Hope that helps!

Edited by jmac

I need new tyres too, but am after something that can take some track day racing but also provide superior dry and wet public road conditions for family safety.

I had my eye set on the Yokohama AVS V102 or the AVS ES100 or even the AVS V103 but none of them are available in Australia in my 225/45 R17 size at the moment.

I am currently using GIII's and and contemplating getting them again, unless someone can convince me of a better tyre for my requirements at around the same price <$300!!

JMAC, how did "you" find the S03's in the wet??

I decided to go with the Dunlops, they go on tomorrow, so I'll report back after the weekend with how they go. Managed to get them down to $337.

BTW, if anyone hasnt noticed yet, if you ring lets say a bobjane, and think their prices are all the same, just try ringing another 1 or 2...

I also got the G3s down to $280 with my SAuQld discount if anyone is interested.

Well. *I* found them ok, they certainly didn't have more grip than I was expecting but they haven't tried to kill me either. They generally let go at both ends fairly progressively. The only brown undies moment was driving down the SE Freeway in the rain and the car stepped sideways pretty suddenly when it spooled in 3rd gear. I didn't lose control but it certainly got my attention. :P

But otherwise, in the rain, they hang on to about the point where you kinda think you're pushing too far anyway.

Rain is pretty rare in Brisbane so I'm happy to trade a little wet weather performance for better dry grip.

Thanks for the info. It helps to hear true experiences to help deciding on tyres to buy.

Well. *I* found them ok, they certainly didn't have more grip than I was expecting but they haven't tried to kill me either. They generally let go at both ends fairly progressively. The only brown undies moment was driving down the SE Freeway in the rain and the car stepped sideways pretty suddenly when it spooled in 3rd gear. I didn't lose control but it certainly got my attention. ;)

But otherwise, in the rain, they hang on to about the point where you kinda think you're pushing too far anyway.

Rain is pretty rare in Brisbane so I'm happy to trade a little wet weather performance for better dry grip.

I need new tyres too, but am after something that can take some track day racing but also provide superior dry and wet public road conditions for family safety.

I had my eye set on the Yokohama AVS V102 or the AVS ES100 or even the AVS V103 but none of them are available in Australia in my 225/45 R17 size at the moment.

I am currently using GIII's and and contemplating getting them again, unless someone can convince me of a better tyre for my requirements at around the same price <$300!!

Actually a tyre store I went to for prices was trying way too hard for me to buy Yoko V103 or ES100 around $340-$365 255/40/17's that's fitted. He just kept saying "no they are the best..." and he wouldn't quote me on anyhting else. I personnally think they are too new to have been proven yet... I haven't heard much about them...

just out of interest i believe they got the price wrong in the wheels tyre test for the federals ($148) it cant be right in that size, they must have mixed up the models.

i got a set of the new dunlop sp sport maxx's on the front last week, so far i have found them quite good, but need more time to wear them in and give them my own 'tyre test' to let you guys know how they are :D Im assuming they will be awesome seeing that they replace the sp9000s and won the tyre test.

Bridgestone G-II

Dry: 6/10

Wet: 3/10

Value: ---

Came with my car when I got it. Grip in the dry actually wasn't too bad, but never had much confidence with these in the wet - grip would just be non-existent at times.

Yokohama Advan Sport (V103)

Dry: 9/10

Wet: 9/10

Value: 8/10

Actually picked these up for the same price as a set of Yoko ES100s after the Yoko factory made a mistake in my favour - so maybe I should be rating the value as 10/10 lol...

As a road tyre these are fantastic - magic in both wet and dry conditions so far. On the day I got them, the weather was miserable and I was surprised how much grip was available from the word go - and it's been improving still as it's been worn in.

A bit of road noise (but meh, you get that - equivalent to the G-IIs anyways) up to about 120kmh, then gradually rising to a bit of a howl at speeds above 140kmh :D

After about 1200kms use I took them up to Winton to see if I could find some limits of the tyres. They went really well - very predictable and really inspired confidence with each corner I took which was encouraging for someone like me with limited track experience. After about 4-5 hard laps, they began to to slide around a bit, but again progressive and predictable. I'm wondering if the fact that the tyres are still so new had something to do with it, cos there is still stacks of tread there (possibly moving around on the tread blocks). I'd like to go back in a few thousand kms time and see how I go then as well.

Two thumbs up from me so far :)