SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

Used for the past two years:

Potenza GIII 255/40ZR17

Dunlop FM901 235/45ZR17

Rate both sets of tyres, the GIIIs are quite grippy and provide excellent traction in both wet and dry, whilst the FM901s are very predictable with good feedback.

Does anyone know if the FM901 successors- Direzza DZ101 - are available in a similar size? I can't seem to find anyone who stocks them locally, and I'd love to try them out.

Failing that I will be running Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 on the front. They've received good reviews (eg Motor magazine) and several friends have them and rate them quite well, incl on the track too.

Just some info on maxxis for anyone who's interested.

Maxxis are a rubber technology company that have been in the bicycle tyre market for a fair while, they actually sponsor Steve Larsen who is ranked no. 1 in the US for cross country cycling. Their HQ is in the U.S.

They've only started braching out into car tyres in the last few years, hence the price. Their car tyres are manufactured in taiwan.

I've got victra 235/40 r17 on the front and victra 255/40 r17 on the back of my line and they're fantastic for the price.

anyway, just thought i'd put in my 2 bobs worth.

Edited by Ol_Mate

All,

This is a very interesting and long topic.

I am looking for new tyres now and narrowed it down to 2.

1. Pirelli pzero nero's

2. Yokohama AVS V102's

Any body used these tyres?

Prices arnt too bad either!

im running DUNLOP SP3000A`s there GReat for a standard GTS-t grip really well in dry and wet but have slipped then in the wet ...

Once u get more power there not as good but other than that there good for the lowwer power cars..

BUT my shocks r gone so it could be them not the tyres...

IT sounda like the TOYO T1R`s R the way to go ...?

From what I was told by some tyre shops, the Dunlop SP Sport 3000A is an average tyre. Probably 5.5 to 6/10 for overall performance. But it's not very expensive and it's made in Oz.

since they wieght of all skylines are in the 1300 - 1600kg range I reckon the recommendations are pretty relevant.  Suspension mods make much more difference to tyre performance that power.

Unless you mean rear traction problems out of big power cars? 

Either way, if you buy a sports car, modified or not, buy the best tyres you can afford for it, they make more difference to performance than any other mod.

I mean traction ,handling,and braking nproblems with 2 and 4 wheel drive cars.

I have Potenza S-03's on my car (R34 17" GTT rims)

R33 gtst, with basic intake/exhaust mods, and still original suspension with around 90k on the clock.

They're quite expensive I suppose, to a fair few other tyres out there, but they grip pretty darn well in the dry, probably let more down in the rain, although its not hard to tell why when you look at the tread pattern.

I'm not sure if i'll buy them again, they're wearing quite well, and they have next to no road noise compared to other tyres I've had on (Goodyear eagle F1's)

• 2 weeks later...

using some sumitomo htz or something like that - 215/40/17 ...... only been using them for the last couple of days cos i just changed my rims and they came with....

before that was using nexan not sure which ones 225/50/16 fronts and 225/50/16 kuhmo ecsta bot weren't too bad the kuhmos were a bit worn out they came with the car when i got it

Here are the tyres I have had experience with;

326's

I don't really need to comment. Standard magna 195 rubber was better than 326's in 235. You could easily break 3rd gear (it was manual) in the wet...... Redefine scary torque steer.

Firenza's

195/50/15

These were on a mirage that saw a LOT of track work. We went through 2 sets.

Dry: 6/10

Wet: 6/10

If you have to buy cheap tyres get these.

These are a really impressive tyre and on the track they would last 5-6 laps before over heating but that said the car is light. From the feedback I have heard, on bigger cars they have less grip than the likes of s03's as you would expect but everyone agrees that they are incredibly predictable and provide plenty of feedback. I just had a report from my dad who has an my03 and reports the same thing. (i told him not to buy tight arse tyres for the rex but he wouldn't listen)

Goodyear Eagle F1's

195/50/15

Dry: 5/10

Wet: 6/10

I didn't rate these as much as the firenza's surprisingly.

Falken Azenis ST115

225/45/17

Dry: 7/10

Wet: 9/10

These were on my 99 wrx and these saw track work and 20,000km of daily driving and I loved them. They were predictable and the sidewalls were stiff.

Dunlop SP9000

205/55/16

Dry: 3/10

Wet: 4/10

These are on my current s15 on the standard wheels and I HATE them with a passion. There is hardly any grip and the sidewall is soooo soft. There is almost no feedback at all and probably due to the profile they are very slow to react.

I would go as far as to say that the Simex (or whatever they are) that the car came with were better.

Maybe Duncan they are better in a lower profile and with extra width but I just cant speak strongly enough about how bad they are.... I can't wait to destroy them at the track in a couple of weeks :D

It may be that I liked the st115's just because I had a wide tyre on a rex which has so much grip anyway but I would buy them again at the right price.

James

ROADSTONE DH-55

Dry - 7/10

Wet - 2/10

Value For $ - Didnt buy them, came with the car :)

Probably the worst wheels ever. The tyreson my gf's beat up '87 magna are probably better. In the wet they tend to spin a lot and i start drifting around corners alot! Spun out twice.

Well, Just got new tyres yesterday

Tyres that came with the car Nankang EX505's 225/50 R16

Dry 5/10

Wet 2/10

Value ??

These were crap. They would understeer at around 2km/h round a bouts, getting the rear out was EASSY. Did a hill run though, they were OK for that. 60km/h at a 45 degree turn, i would start to understeer...and my cars pretty well balanced (ie doesnt tend to do either under or oversteer)

New tyres

Hankook K104's in 225/45/17

Ill keep everyone posted, so far they are much better.