SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

Well got the T1-R's fitted about 2 or 3 weeks ago now and am yet to drive it in the rain still so i can't comment on that but in the dry they are awesome they just hug the road like no tomorrow.

Dry 9/10

Wet ?/?

Value 8/10

Falken Azzenis(Spelling?)R comps,255/40/17 on R32GTR

I had a set of RS-V04s for a while. They were great once they heated up. Too bad they're not actually street legal in Australia.

Also, can you tell me where you got R-Comp Azenis in that size? I can't find that tyre size for any of their R-Comps on the Falken Japan web site.

well i've been using Federals for some time now. the 595 for street and the 595 RS for track days....

Federal 595 (street)

Dry: 7/10

Wet: 8/10

Value: 9/10

I bought these through a friend in tyre industry, even though i got a discount, they are still a hell of a lot cheaper than other brands for the same kind of tyre. these are the top-of-the-line street tyre in the Federal range, which is one below the semi-slick. when i 1st got them, they weren't that great, but once they wear the top layer of rubber off, they are just awesome! however, once they reach their peak, they drop off quite a bit and you dont have the same amount of grip again, but for the price, i would definately buy them again. i paid around $600 for a set of 4. (Front: 235/45/17 - Rear: 255/40/17). "regular" prices i've been told aren't that much more expensive....

Federal 595 RS (semi-slick)

Dry: 9/10

Value: 8/10

I bought these from the same friend, but he couldn't give me as much of a discount as with the others. these are the semi-slick version in the Federal range. i bought these recently for my track day at Wakefield last saturday, and i gotta say that i had so much grip that i didn't know what to do with it!!! i had them on the car a few days before so i could wear them in. i used em in the wet and dry and was surprised to find that they had extremely good grip in the wet. i paid about $1400 for a set of 4. (Front: 235/45/17 - Rear: 255/40/17). these tyre's are supposed to be good for about 10,000 km's or more. i'll definately be buying these again.....

R33 Gts-t 166rwkw

Goodyear F1 225/45/17

Dry: 6/10

Value: 7/10

I'm not sure which series F1 these were, but they were an ok tyre. Better for wet weather than dry. I had a problem with a puncture repair and the tyre and I soon replaced the tyre after that.

Bridgestone Potenza re040 225/45/17

Dry: 8/10

Wet: 7/10

Value: 7/10

Good tyre in the dry, nice stiff side wall. Heaps of grip except for the last couple of thousand kays, they because very slippery. Wet weather wasn't the greatest.

Currently:

Bridgestone Potenza GIII's

235/45/17

Dry: 8/10

Got these cheap, as bridgestone is have a sale. Was quoted $295.00 a tyre first, then on sale now: $249 a tyre, fitted.

Very good in the wet, and so far very good in the dry. Handles nicely, the sidewall is a good mixture of stiffness and give for comfort driving. Little more road noise than the other tyres I've used, i'd say thats the main downside if any,

I recommend these tyres.

It depends on what you want to do aswell and how you drive.

Im more into straight line power track sort of driving. So a set of p zeros etc would be the shit.

But back in the day when I was a young fella with a s13 going sideways I would prefer some cheap shitty nankangs (which by the way dont actually seem to bad, shitty is probably harsh for these tyres).

Bridgestone reo40's arnt that bad either.

I had a set on my 33 when I first bought it and they gripped pretty good. However, as someone posted just before me, towards the end of the tyres life they seemed to harden up and becom quite gripless and a bit unpredictable.

well i've been using Federals for some time now. the 595 for street and the 595 RS for track days....

Federal 595 (street)

Dry: 7/10

I bought these through a friend in tyre industry, even though i got a discount, they are still a hell of a lot cheaper than other brands for the same kind of tyre. these are the top-of-the-line street tyre in the Federal range, which is one below the semi-slick. when i 1st got them, they weren't that great, but once they wear the top layer of rubber off, they are just awesome! however, once they reach their peak, they drop off quite a bit and you dont have the same amount of grip again, but for the price, i would definately buy them again. i paid around $600 for a set of 4. (Front: 235/45/17 - Rear: 255/40/17). "regular" prices i've been told aren't that much more expensive....

Federal 595 RS (semi-slick)

Dry: 9/10

Value: 8/10

I bought these from the same friend, but he couldn't give me as much of a discount as with the others. these are the semi-slick version in the Federal range. i bought these recently for my track day at Wakefield last saturday, and i gotta say that i had so much grip that i didn't know what to do with it!!! i had them on the car a few days before so i could wear them in. i used em in the wet and dry and was surprised to find that they had extremely good grip in the wet. i paid about $1400 for a set of 4. (Front: 235/45/17 - Rear: 255/40/17). these tyre's are supposed to be good for about 10,000 km's or more. i'll definately be buying these again.....

I just picked up the Federal 595 RS (semi-slick) for a 265X35X18 for $260 each at payless tyres and brakes at Chatswood... Very Cheap. so I am running semi slicks full time.

shaolin, the place where i bought them from hasn't sold too many of them and couldn't give as much of a discount. i bought em from a wholesaler. you must've gotten yours hell cheap.... damn canberra's stupid high prices :(

duncan, i heard about these from a couple of guys down here who know their stuff. i took their word for it, cause i trust em and it paid off. i looked around for a link, but because im lazy, i didn't get very far. i can tell you that on my car around wakefield they were pretty damn good. i drive a near stock R33 gts-t with lots of suspension work. for my 1st time out i managed roughly a mid 1.12 lap. i couldn't pick a fault with em. however, they did start to go off towards the end of the day, as the temps got warmer and warmer.

are those federal semi slicks noisy?

do they only work well when they are really warmed up?

i need new front tyres and i want good grip, was going to go for a top of the range road tyre but if those semis are not too expensive and ok to live with then maybe ill get them....

i've only used em for a short time, but they do grip really well for just general street driving. they are great in the wet too. however, they are reasonably noisey when cruising around or highway driving, but the stereo should fix that! they dont 'screech' either....

Is it these tyres?

ss595.jpg

"Features:

Low profile sidewalls for ultimate performance

Large size range

Excellent comfort characteristics

Uni-directional tread pattern

Flange protector for alloy rims

Affordable price

ZR and VR speed rated

Designed for use on all high performance vehicles

Proven in Targa Tasmania - Australia's toughest bitumen road rally. Many competitors use the SS595 for:

Road holding

Excellent wear

Wet weather performance

Unequalled durability "

To be honest they don't look like a semi to me...maybe a good performance tyre?

no, those are the 595. they are the street tyre.

these are the 595 RS (semi-slick)....

Link...

if i'd had known about this website before, i would've bought em from there!

Edited by Frink

um.. im pretty sure that its a yank only website

HA! i think your right. i didn't even look at the website, i was just trying to find a picture of the tyre :huh:

i've only used em for a short time, but they do grip really well for just general street driving. they are great in the wet too. however, they are reasonably noisey when cruising around or highway driving, but the stereo should fix that! they dont 'screech' either....

Thanks for the info.

I dont want a noisy tyre (much noisier than the average performance tyre) so i think ill give them a miss from what you have said :D

Ill probably have time in about 2 weeks to get out and get some tyres and at this stage i will most likely get some dunlop sp-sport maxx's. they are the new top of the range dunlop street tyre (replaced sp9000) and come oem on a few very high powered stock cars so should be good.

Is it these tyres?

ss595.jpg

"Features:

Low profile sidewalls for ultimate performance

Large size range

Excellent comfort characteristics

Uni-directional tread pattern

Flange protector for alloy rims

Affordable price

ZR and VR speed rated

Designed for use on all high performance vehicles

Proven in Targa Tasmania - Australia's toughest bitumen road rally. Many competitors use the SS595 for:

Road holding

Excellent wear

Wet weather performance

Unequalled durability "

To be honest they don't look like a semi to me...maybe a good performance tyre?

I am in the hunt for some good tyres that will perform at the track,Those federals rs595's sound like they are allright And for a price like that i am more than willing to give them a go..

Duncan,i found the federal ss595 tyres to be alright untill they got allot of heat into them at the track.It got to the point where i was frying them in 2nd and sideways in 3rd.arround 165rwkw.Me thinks i should have calmed down a bit i.e.cool down lap..

I just picked up the Federal 595 RS (semi-slick) for a 265X35X18 for $260 each at payless tyres and brakes at Chatswood... Very Cheap. so I am running semi slicks full time.

Hey! long time no see.

That is some cheap ass semi slick tyre for 265X35X18.

So you bpought them from payless chatswood.I might give them a call 2mozz 2 see there prices in 17''.

Hey! long time no see.

That is some cheap ass semi slick tyre for 265X35X18.

So you bpought them from payless chatswood.I might give them a call 2mozz 2 see there prices in 17''.

Sorry Guys...

I did not actually get the semi slick.

i asked for the semi slick and when I got there I asked if they were the semi slick which they said yes, the we checked it and it is not actually the RS model so just the standard 595's but I will still say they are quite good in the dry and wet.

next time I will be sure what tyre they are putting on the car. ;)