SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

Anyone had any experience with Goodyear Revspec RS-02's?

There was a good review on them in the Wheels tyre comparison article early this year, yet it doesn't seem like anyone on here is using them.

I got relatively good price quote for them ($1154 for all 4 corners), but am I better off spending a bit extra to get the Toyo T1R's ($1370 for all 4) as it seems like quite a few people on here rate them...

Tyres will be going on an R33 GTST (front: 235/45/17, rear: 255/40/17) with around 270rwkw.

Can anyone help? ;)

Anyone??? :)

Well here is my 2yen about that.....

There is absolutely no point in buying a great performance car and then putting crap tyres on them.  And the Falken 326 are crap.  They are basically among the cheapest tyres that you can get in big low profile sizes so compliers fit them on a lot of freshly imported cars.

The difference between a bad road tyre and a good road tyre is amazing, you really can feel it and you will enjoy your car heaps more with decent tyres.

So.....enough crapping on....I am saying don't spend 250ea on tyres + 1000 on an intercooler, spend 500ea on tyres instead you will love the difference.

Anyone that has been in a car on the track on race tyres will know what I mean about the difference :)

There is a massive difference, and the car will be faster for sure, but then again, since i got some t1-rs to replace my old yokos(had gone off) i sort of miss the car being edgy and powerslides ;)

Now the rear of the car is simply stuck.

I have a R31 s2 silo, not exactly high performance. The falkens seem good enough for me and are way better than the tyres I have now. I have to agree on the wet handling of the falken ziex, but he dry handling I thought was pretty good (for my car). I also cant afford $200+ tyres.

Just got my 255/40Z/R17 Toyo T1R's fitted @ $350 a pop.

I must say they stick very well. Alot like my Continential Sport Contact 2's but they were really bald.

Will post up more when I drive the T1Rs abit more.

I can't believe the prices you guys are willing to pay for ordinary old road tyres. Some of the cheap stuff is junk, but some of it is very good too. But the same goes for expensive name brand tyres. The worst tyre I've ever driven on were Pirellis. They were just downright dangerous - in the dry! I took them back the next day. And the Michelin Pilot Sports i had were pretty damn ordinary too. Not dangerous like the Pirelli, but still pretty awful.

Best value for money tyre I've used is the Simex SM8000 on an old R31 daily driver and they were as good as any Yokohama/Bridgestone/Toyo road tyre I've ever used. When I needed tyres recently for my HR30 coupe, I didn't hesitate to buy them again - 225/50*16 for $130ea retail. And my GTR is just about due for new road tyres (17"), and I know exactly what I'll be using for it too. I think they're about $170. A friend who has also been involved in motorsport for years has a WRX daily driver and uses Tornado tyres. His 225/50*16 were around $140ea, and they are just fine too - even for spirited driving on the wonderful roads around his Sunshine Coast Hinterland home. If you want to pay mega dollars for a name brand, go right ahead, but they aren't any better than alot of the cheap tyres.

Bridgestone GIII's

Had them on for a week and done a few hundred km on them.

235/45 17

So far very impressed.

Noisy tyre at 40-50km, but at 60 you can't hear them.

Grip - amazing. Cornering is spot on, very predictable handling, and corner speeds are noticeably higher (based on some well-known laps in an industrial area).

Wet performance was solid, really had to try to lock them up, which was dead easy on previous rubber.

I'd give them an 8-9/10 overall, but i've never driven on S-03's or T1-R's or the like to compare.

Previous tyres have been Simex (i'd rate them a 4/10) and k104's (6-7/10)

Edited by Beeble

Currently got an Astra 2.2. Runnin Hankook K104 sport's on it. They're pretty good, I can still take em to their limits around a few corners, but not sure if it the tyres or the car (it's a sporty astra, but its still an astra).

Gettin a R32 GTS-T next week *fingers crossed pre-purchase inspection goes ok* Lookin to get some new wheels and tyres for it.

Possibly some Konig Trouble rims in 18x8 ($425/each).

post-22691-1132365805.jpg

And lookin at maybe some Toyo T1-R's

post-22691-1132365754.jpg

If anyone is interested in prices.

265/35ZR18 97Y - $495

225/40ZR18 87Y - ????

265/40ZR17 96Y - $420

235/45ZR17 97Y - $320

Will prob get the 265/35 18's on the rear and 225/40's on the front.

Does that sound like a good setup? Are those prices ok? I'm gettin a call back on a package deal with the wheels and tyres all from one place.

Yes the shi7 rubber just doesnt cut the mustard.You can get them to hold in for a lap or 2 but after that you are figting it for grip.

why would you expect them to? all normal street tyres are crap on the track. And not just after 1 lap - they have no grip to start with, and only get worse from there.

I purchased a set of Toyo T1R's for the front of my car the other week and am very impressed with them. Braking and steering has definately improved.

I have tried a lot of tyre places and the best prices I have found have always been Total Tyres in Oakleigh, MELBOURNE.. and no I don't work for them. These guys prices are always cheaper than their competition in my experiences, buy a good margin usually. They have a large range of tyres.. may need to go elsewhere for rims but ask them for a price anyway. These guys are not a bunch of grease monkeys either, they are careful with rims. A friend had some painted rims which 2 other places scratched (after being told to be extremely careful) and these guys haven't made a mark after numerous visits. They can install suspension too, during the week only though.

Just though I'd let you know.. If any one knows of somewhere that has cheaper prices in melbourne preferrably in the SE region then POST IT UP, I want to know.

I couldn't see one but is there a section for good tyre places stickied somewhere??

Go the T1R's!

Edited by Fry_33

Bridgestone Grid IIs 215/60/15

Responsiveness - 9/10

Dry grip - 8/10

Wet grip - 7/10

Value for Money - ??

These tyres came with my 180sx (from import dealer) and were fairly second hand by the time I picked the car up. The responsiveness was outstanding. If you found yourself understeering on a corner, you wind in more lock and the tyres would do exactly as you tell it. I felt very comfortable with these tyres in the dry or the wet. In fact when it came time to replace them, I was so scared that the next set of tyres wouldn't be as good.

Bridgestone Potenza GIIIs 215/60/15

Responsiveness - 6 / 10

Dry grip - 9/10

Wet grip - 7/10

Value for money - 8/10 ($150 a tyre)

Have been fairly happy with this set of tyres. Have problems breaking traction in a straight line in the dry and even in the wet sometimes. Responsiveness was not as good as the Grid IIs, you need to make sure you take the corner at the appropriate speed. However the grip is certainly there.

Damn you lucky ppl with small widths. Cheap good tyres.

I have Dunlop Formulas (FM9Y?)

245/45/r17, all fours, r32gtr.

Very sticky, I would go back to these though very exp.

Be aware this is on a GTR

Dry 9/10

Wet 7.5/10

Value for money 5/10

Okay tyre though very exp.