SAU Community

Tyres you use(d) and how u would rate them

When people say the Michelin Pilots are great or bad, are they talking about the Michelin Pilots Sports, or Michelin Pilot Preceda?

And has anyone has experience with the Avon brand of tyres? I see on www.tirerack.com that the Avon Tech M550 A/S "beat" every other brand of tire (ultra performance, all seasons category).

I have Ziex 326 and wanna upgrade to much better ($300-450/corner) tyres, as I'm sick of spinning the wheels in 1st, then 2nd and even third from the lights without even trying! Not even modified either, just exhaust :) Wear isn't so much an issue as I only do about 15K kms a year and it's mostly city driving with the ocassional coast trip (which is all highway anyway, no off road).

OK. but didn't really answer the question...

Michelin Preceda or Toyo T1-R will cost me a bit over 400 a corner and lots of ppl have been talking about them so immediately they are ahead compared to any $500 tyre. 1600 i can *kinda* justify, but definitely not 2 grand.

Then again, this site with the Wheels test: http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/printthread.php?t=23777

says there is less than 5% difference between all the tyres in the test (5% in what I wonder.. too vague). Anyway, I have just seen the Maxxis Victra MA-V1 in 235/45 R18 for only 209 each @ Bob Janes.. so the Maxxis Victra MA-Z1 couldn't be a whole lot more (even if it was 100 more, that's still only 300 a corner). I would expect about 250-260 each.

Has anyone had experience with these tyres that are supposed to provide comparable performance to several 350-400 buck tyres? Apparently my Falken 326's cost about 200 each.. I find it kinda hard to believe the Maxxis could do so well for so cheap, so I really wanna hear from anyone who has them (and has owned enough tyres to compare fairly).

what size rims rice, the new fedrels are not to bad i have some on the rear, and after the first few weeks they have settled in very well, little spin in first then nothing but hook up in second.

r33 gtst 216rwkw 18 /265/35 the new ones have a lot more silica in them, so before ppl go baggin them there different now

!!! RICE?! ri*N*cewind :P man.. hope most ppl aren't reading it that way lol uh nevermind :) Those who know, know.

Rim size is 235/45 R18. I dunno about the width.. how can u tell by looking? I didn't put them on myself so I dunno.

Quickfit just 5hat on Maxxis from a fair height.. saying they are a long wearing budget tyre (about 40k's instead of 25-30k), that they sacrifice on grip, and that Wheels is a biased magazine and the next magazine on the rack will push some other tyre make/model. He also said that they don't have much experience with them though.

Grr

had falken 326's on the rear... and they were ok in the dry and just death in the wet.. anyways after spinning out just the other day.. i put my foot down and decided to ditch the falkens as they were ABSOLUTE rubbish

replaced them with the same size (245/40/R18) as before but toyo TPG's

paid $540 fitted for the two

and they have worked out allright.. i wouldnt say they are fantastic... but as an upgrade on the falkens they are damn good.. i wanted t1-r's... but found out how expensive they were

i give the toyo tpg's a wet: 6.5/10 and dry 8/10

value for money would get a 8/10

I just got quoted 250 a corner for Maxxis MA-Z1. I can't go past that, seeing how well they did in the magazine road tests (I heard Motor gave them a good review too), for 1K as opposed to 1600, the decision is now all but made!

The fitter said the reason they are so cheap in Australia is cos they've only been in the car tyre market here for about 2.5 years. My mechanic also says they're great, so I'll give em a go.

I just got (after recommendations in this thread) Hankook K104s... unreal tyres, I got:

-255 * 40 * 17 (rears, 9 inch rims)

-235 * 45 * 17 (fronts, 8 inch rims)

Very sticky at the moment... I have a stockish R33 GTS-T, and full throttle out of most corners I have problems spinning them at all, lol, and the rear end is very very stable. Wet weather driving is great too. But coming from Falken Ziex 326s, anything is a huge step up.

Will report back in ~10,000kms anyway.

since they wieght of all skylines are in the 1300 - 1600kg range I reckon the recommendations are pretty relevant. Suspension mods make much more difference to tyre performance that power.

Unless you mean rear traction problems out of big power cars?

Either way, if you buy a sports car, modified or not, buy the best tyres you can afford for it, they make more difference to performance than any other mod.

I had the Toyo T1R for almost 2 weeks which I put them in the front (235/40/18) and in the wet holding is pretty good plus confirdent. Dry is excellent. I am waiting for my rear sets next week (265/35/18). I was told it's better than Yokohama AD07 in the long term usage. You guys reckon it's true?