SAU Community

Screamer Pipe Vs Split Pulse Dump Pipe

im just wondering which of these 2 dump pipes will give you more power - screamer dump pipe or split pulse dump pipe?

Im looking at getting either one which works best for my RB25 Turbocharger im using on my RB20DET engine

Ive seen heaps of companys selling split pulse pipes on EBAY etc but not many selling screamer pipes, anyone know of any companys that sell screamer pipes?

if you want it too sound horridly retarded, get a screamer...

they sound VERY bad on small turbo/pipes IMO.

Heard them on SRs and its pretty p|ssweak compared to a big turbo with an ext gate

If you exhaust is 3" then get the one that plumbs in.

There shouldnt be a performance loss if its 3" to begin with.

Correct. On an internal gated turbo, and a RB25 one at that I would say get the split pulse dump that joins back to the exhaust system. Just get one that seperates the wastegate gasses for a decent length, say 300mm if possible. Not the ones you see that seperate it for 50mm.

A screamer version, which vents it to atmo "might" make a tiny bit more but is ridiculously loud which attracts unwanted attention and is also illegal to boot.

A screamer pipe or "divorved" downpipe will always give you more power.

Whether or not you want a louder exhaust is up to you.

Back to back tests were done on a 7M-GTE (3.0 liter supra turbo) using a full 3" downpipe that replaced that replaced the cast turbo elbow and all, vs. a full 3" downpipe with a divorced wastegate or screamer pipe as you call it.

The result was a gain of 22 wheel horsepower from just the screamer pipe. This was done on a bone stock motor with only a cat back and an air filter + the 2 aforementioned downpipes.

Pretty big difference if you ask me.

you'll only have a gain if the exhaust is restrictive enough that you loose power.

There are a few cars the come to mind that have been tested with/without the atmo gate (on bigger cars) and there is no loss.

mind you this is using 4" exhausts and stuff. But for a small turbo setup that obviously flows a lot less... should b arite

• 1 month later...

screamer pipes are somewhat illegal, anyonet hat thinks that this noise is tops, well drive ur car to a racetrack or drag strip. Put it on, and go for a hoon, then take it off again and drive home. On a street car i beleive it is a stupid idea. :D

have a nice legal streetable car. be it mostly legal. hehe

peace out, yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Back to back tests were done on a 7M-GTE (3.0 liter supra turbo) using a full 3" downpipe that replaced that replaced the cast turbo elbow and all, vs. a full 3" downpipe with a divorced wastegate or screamer pipe as you call it.

The result was a gain of 22 wheel horsepower from just the screamer pipe. This was done on a bone stock motor with only a cat back and an air filter + the 2 aforementioned downpipes.

Pretty big difference if you ask me.

My guess is the difference will be bugger all compared to a split dump pipe, not a open dump like you suggested.

For example, A CES dump pipe. That would have been a much better comparison.

screamer pipes are somewhat illegal, anyonet hat thinks that this noise is tops, well drive ur car to a racetrack or drag strip.  Put it on, and go for a hoon, then take it off again and drive home.  On a street car i beleive it is a stupid idea. :D

have a nice legal streetable car.  be it mostly legal.  hehe

peace out, yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i beg to differ.

My car is a daily driver and i have a screamer on my Rb20 and dont have any problems or a rep as being a hooooon.

Its all in the way you use the right foot if you ask me as i have heard some cars down here (turbo's, V8's) that are louder than my screamer pipe :D

Beauty of living somewhere like the Apple Isle where they are pretty easy going on mods and no EPA here at the mo either :(

Cheers B

• 7 years later...