SAU Community

Removing Hicas On R32 Gtr

oRiCLe

I'd like to know this also :wave:

Here's the image again:

untitledded8jz.jpg

Sorta, but the connection is lower down. I will photo shop it tonight and post up the correct connection.

:O cheers :D

What would happen if one removed the rear steering rack with the lines that run into the "junction box" (I've got no idea what to call it!) and simply put 2 bolts into the holes that the lines came out of?

What would happen if one removed the rear steering rack with the lines that run into the "junction box" (I've got no idea what to call it!) and simply put 2 bolts into the holes that the lines came out of?

The power steering pump rear rotor would fail

:) cheers :w00t:

Alright guys i took some pics just before (meant to post earlier but got stuck into wiring up the new battery feed >_<)

img13031kp.th.jpg

img13056ud.th.jpg

img13066nh.th.jpg

img13084xc.th.jpg

The hose i got was heater hose as it needs to be oil resistant. And yes i do know there aren't any clamps on the new hose yet, i still have to get them :D

Hope that makes things alot clearer. If you want any more pics, let me know

Hmm...

I recently had the rear steering rack removed and one of Geoff's HICAS lock bars fitted. Where the two hoses were removed along with the rear rack, bolts were inserted to plug the open threaded fittings. I assume from your post Gary that this isn't the correct way to perform the job and will need a hose that runs between these two points in order to keep the fluid flowing?

ok, i have compltely removed everything that looks like or even smells like hicas on my car....First remove rear rack replace with the lockbar...rip out every power steering line that goes to the back of the car and just follow them where they go into the valve system near the plenum...you can completely remove the valve system no worries....remove the pipes that is meant to be a cooler. remove the hicas resoviour, buy a r31 steering pump a a 3 slat belt to suit. you will need a spacer to space the pump away from the block a bit to clear the cam cover....i used a s14/r33 power steering resoviour, all the pipes hook up nicely to the pump from resoviour and steering rack....ok now under the rear parcel shelf there is a silver box that is the hicas ecu...you can unplug that....Now once you have hooked up the new basic power steering system with the r31 pump and new resoviour....you will notice you have very jolty steering and it will be hard to turn the wheel backward and foward quickly and it will feel like shit.....this is wher some people dont know about...BUT if you look on the actual steering rack iteself you will notice that there is a electronic valve on it on the drivers side with 2 wires coming from it....unplgu it and unbolt this solenoid...Watch out cos fluid will piss outta the rack....then you will see 2 holes in the rack that the fliud comes out of what u need to do now is get some steel or alluminium sheet metal only need enough to cover those holes...so cut out a peice and drill 3 holes to bolt the plate to seal these holes.......once sealed you will have very very light steering...make sure you fill the resovoiur up full when you start the car and then watch the fluid or else the steering pump will sound like its scrapping things...and top up as nessecary. NOW what that little solenoid on the steering rack does is bypass the fluid from the rack back to the resovoiur so that you dont get much fluid in the rack creating hard steering....once its covered the fluid stays in the rack causing very light steering....

Anymore questions about it just pm as i have done it all myself.......also i weighed up the sutff that is removed and subtracted the new stuff put in to make this work and it works out to be a 21.5kg loss of weight......so really youll go faster and use less fuel :dry:

What a timely thread discovery! I just pulled all my hicas stuff out of my cefiro as the previous Jap owner had put a lock bar in. He only put nuts on the ends of both hydrolic lines that use to go into the rear Hicas rack - meaning there would be an obvious build up of pressure at the rear end of the car as the fluid couldnt go in a cycle. Let it be said that nearly every seal in my main steering rack must be fked, as i go thru more power steering fluid than I do petrol.

Im currently replacing my steering rack with a s13 or s15 rack, and I will most likely put a tranny oil cooler in and run the rear part of the pump to that.

Im yet to comprehend what sort of piping and fittings i'll need to do this from reading above - but if someone can assit me that would be great.

My idea is to have the rear output of the pump go to the cooler - using about 1m of hose, then from the cooler back to the HICAS resovior. But will this still have too much pressure going back into the resv? I dont want an explosion of fluid everywhere if I can help it!

thanks!

JK

Edited by jaik

i just thought i'd get someone to clarify this before i start hacking away on my power steering lines.

on a r32 gtst, looking at the hicas solenoid in the drivers side of the engine bay...

Line 1 goes from oil cooler to hicas solenoid.

Line 2 comes from bottom of engine bay into the hicas solenoid.

What is the best way to make the connection to line 2? there are no rubber hose sections that I can find, they are all metal screw fittings. Do I unscrew one of the fittings and just hacksaw the screw bit off? What's the best way to approach this?

From what I understood of what sydneykid posted, you can just hoseclamp the rubber hose onto both line 1 and line2, but i can't find where on line 2 that this can be done without hacksawing off one of the screw fittings.