SAU Community

Xenon Hid Lights Conversion For R32

Ronin 09

1. I just got a set of headlights from the forums... ends up cheaper than getting them from Japan

2. S2000 projectors are too wide to fit in std R32 housings. Honda Euros, if fitted the way i did it, fit pretty much damn perfect using std mounting points - just reversed the plastic screw in bits (you'll understand when you pull apart the headlight). Something like a E46 BMW Bosch projector will be fine too because that is smaller than the euro... but I don't know how to mount that in there. My folks have a E46 with HIDs and I reckon the beam on the Honda Euro is better.

3. I believe that most R32 headlights are H3C, but some are H1... but as far a I know, the projectors in both are the same, as are the cut-off shields - just the globe fittings are different.

Hope that helps!

dont know if you can put angel eyes on std projectors... don't see why not. something to consider, though, is that if they are plastic tube, and placed directly in front of the projector, over time they may melt / discolour / yellow due to the heat from the globe. They do get damn hot in there.

I think all GTSt and GTR came std with projectors; only the GTR N1 came with lighter square lights (better than GTS), and GTS with cheaper square non-projector lights.

Bleh do they remove them when they are imported?

cos my car is 96 r33 gt-st and it has the shitty reflector type lights.

in the R33 only the series 3 GTR came with projectors

Fired them up for hte first time last night - they look awesome - but didn't have my camera...

so we'll have finished pics on the car when the car gets assembled :wub:

so close now...

Fuark you have to be happy with that. It's been a long time building and the results look awesome. I must admit the normal projectors are pretty good with the HID kits (atleast my cefiro ones were fine) so I'm keen to see the result.

Pics of the output, at the headlight and general appearance when you have time would be awesome.

Great write up :D

Small bit of side info for the guys that were asking earlier =

The bi-xenon headlights don't in fact work as a high beam technically. The way it works is, as with all BMW headlights they have a shield if you will that creates that horizontal to the centre of the light then angled up to the left by blocking the light from the top half of the parabolic lense. Early xenons have this as well. With both these systems when you turn your highbeams on - the lowbeam remains on unaltered but your inner high beam comes on

With bi-xenons - lowbeam is on as normal with sheild in place. Turn high beam on and high beam light (halogen) illuminates but you low beam sheild folds up to unleash the full wrath of the xenon light.

It is physically imposible to just switch on and off xenon in a high beam even with the 40,000volt ignitors bolted to the back of them. They would simply go pop.

Small bit of side info for the guys that were asking earlier =

The bi-xenon headlights don't in fact work as a high beam technically. The way it works is, as with all BMW headlights they have a shield if you will that creates that horizontal to the centre of the light then angled up to the left by blocking the light from the top half of the parabolic lense. Early xenons have this as well. With both these systems when you turn your highbeams on - the lowbeam remains on unaltered but your inner high beam comes on

With bi-xenons - lowbeam is on as normal with sheild in place. Turn high beam on and high beam light (halogen) illuminates but you low beam sheild folds up to unleash the full wrath of the xenon light.

It is physically imposible to just switch on and off xenon in a high beam even with the 40,000volt ignitors bolted to the back of them. They would simply go pop.

so how can we retro fit projector xeon lights that will work like that? i work at a panel shop and have been collecting all the smashed bmw xeon headlights so when i do have a pair upgrade the ones in my 31, now its simpe enough to re-fit the new projectior, and run the right xeon globes/ballast/ect...

but getting the inner shield to move when you want high beam?

what if you just fit xeon globes into your high beam slot, so have another set of ignigtors/ballasts,obviously you couldnt flash people, but when you needed the high beam, youd have some crazy stuff

so how can we retro fit projector xeon lights that will work like that? i work at a panel shop and have been collecting all the smashed bmw xeon headlights so when i do have a pair upgrade the ones in my 31, now its simpe enough to re-fit the new projectior, and run the right xeon globes/ballast/ect...

but getting the inner shield to move when you want high beam?

nate, there is a trigger wire that runs to a solenoid that moves the shield.

AFAIK, you just wire this in with the high beam signal wire, and when you go for high beams, the shield moves down.

haven't done it, but that's the principle!

when my car goes in for paint i will go out to find these round type lights for my R32 since i got the crap looking square ones. where did you get the halos from and what size as i am thinking of doing this as i will have no car for a while

Heheheheh got 2 sets on their way fron japan....

hey man, did u get them from yahoojapan ebay shit wateva it is? lol. cause i went searching on their for ageeeeeeees.. n everything i came across i wanted it said (Will NOT Post Overseas) So if u got a source can u please PM me cause theirs a few things i wanted :D

Steve.

hey man, did u get them from yahoojapan ebay shit wateva it is? lol. cause i went searching on their for ageeeeeeees.. n everything i came across i wanted it said (Will NOT Post Overseas) So if u got a source can u please PM me cause theirs a few things i wanted :wave:

Steve.

if u ever find anything off yahoo japan that says 'will not post internationally' then u can still buy it. goto www.slidewizeimports.com and get them to bid for you. if u win the auction, the seller will post to slidewize in japan and then they forward it to ya. they take commision as well so make sure what ur buyin works out cheaper including their commision then buying it here in aust. hope that helps

if u ever find anything off yahoo japan that says 'will not post internationally' then u can still buy it. goto www.slidewizeimports.com and get them to bid for you. if u win the auction, the seller will post to slidewize in japan and then they forward it to ya. they take commision as well so make sure what ur buyin works out cheaper including their commision then buying it here in aust. hope that helps

thanks so much bro. :P

Ronin - yeah man have u got any updated pics yet!! :dry:

Awesome stuff Ronin, watching this with interest at the moment as I'm think out fitting projectors on a Nissan leopard if possible.. Just not sure what projectors would fit in it...

Edited by Yotis