SAU Community

[Closed] Borg Warner Efr Series Turbos

Lithium

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/3886/PageID/9248/PZ-Tuning-660-WHP-Civic.aspx

9174. Any info on this this, Geoff? Is this just a shoehorned 9180 cold side with a 8374 hot side that someone has banged up?

If you put anything smaller than a 9180 on that new motor I will disown you!

• Like 1

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/3886/PageID/9248/PZ-Tuning-660-WHP-Civic.aspx

9174. Any info on this this, Geoff? Is this just a shoehorned 9180 cold side with a 8374 hot side that someone has banged up?

Article says as much. Though unclear whether BW itself created it or some other supplier.

more info + dyno here http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ID/3849/PageID/9105/GTA-Road-Atlanta-teamcanada.aspx

Edited by Skepticism

Hi Geoff,

For your RB kit with the 6258s is it possible to use an external wastegate on it ? and why did you go with the internal wastegate set up ? was it just for the utilizing the parts that already came with ?

Thanks

our RB twin turbo kit is designed as IWG only. The kit was designed in this configuration for maximum performance and simplicity. These internal gates work extremely well and if you need a particular boost config the turbosmart IWG's are a good option. Going to an external gate adds complexity and cost due to the dumptube/ewg/flanges/clamps/hardware... This weekend i get to drive a built 2.8L Twin 7163 R34 GTR -looking forward to it ;)

"Reaper" is running a 8374/1.05 on a stock bottom end with step 1 V-Cam.

:thumbsup: 8374 is a lot of fun, I can only imagine with the V-cam

yes the 9174 was initially tested on Sierra Sierra's Time attack evo in the early days. It spools right between 8374 and 9180 and makes power right between 8374 and 9180. It was never released but we've seen through testing it is a good unit and may put into production. The biggest advantage is this turbo has the ability to spin the EFR 91mm compressor wheel to 125k rpm (9180 max speed is 116k rpm)

If you put anything smaller than a 9180 on that new motor I will disown you!

lol :ban: - in all seriousness, the singles have their place (got one on my car) but twin EFRs are next-level

Pretty keen to hear how the twin 7163 goes Geoff please keep us updated! Wouldn't happen to be able to share a dyno sheet of the above mentioned car?

I have a 7670 with 1.05 rear coming for my stock block evo 9 in a few weeks!

Making my own manifold and plumbing up too. Cant wait to see how it goes!

Edited by Mick_o

^^^ I like where Reaper's heads at.. Have ordered my 9180 1.05 EW should arrive today or tomorrow fingers crossed

What's it going on? Setup please!

Going into my UCF11 Celsior with VVTi 2JZGTE + T56 6 Speed + Haltech Elite 2500 and some e85.. Initially meant to order the 8374 but entered the 9180 in and ordered that instead so I shall see how it goes

post-39081-0-14926400-1435534299_thumb.jpg

Edited by Weapon

the 82mm is a monster turbo and the 87mm turbine wheel in 1.25 a/r works very well. However I prefer twin S300SX to giant single S400 or S500 when targetting really big power numbers. although for a drag car singles are no question easier to package and service, both have their upsides

Have you had much to do with the Tial v-band exhaust housings to suit these turbo's ? Hard to get? Pricey ?

• 2 weeks later...

Haha getting there.. Waiting on mostly transmission gear and Haltech gear now.. Definitely keen to get the thing humming away. Should sound tits fingers crossed

Have you had much to do with the Tial v-band exhaust housings to suit these turbo's ? Hard to get? Pricey ?

Tial's traditional GT40/42 vband housings will work on BorgWarner Airwerks S300 and S400 turbos, when machined to fit. attached are a couple photos of these.

post-28839-0-61016600-1436396468_thumb.jpg

post-28839-0-73076100-1436396351_thumb.jpg

We helped tial with some of the EFR housings initially, but these EFR housings are different from other turbine housings and do not swap/carry over. It requires all new tooling and investment castings so it will be a bit longer until they are available

Going into my UCF11 Celsior with VVTi 2JZGTE + T56 6 Speed + Haltech Elite 2500 and some e85.. Initially meant to order the 8374 but entered the 9180 in and ordered that instead so I shall see how it goes

nice!! i have wanted to do the same in a UCF20, cool project

• Like 1

Nice! I have a good friend who asked me about the Tial housings for the S300's.. I'll definitely be showing him that..

Yeah something a little different to the norm to liven the old girl up and have a bit of fun with. Next up probably going to the 8374 with the twin scroll internal gate housing for the Aristo as I am super impressed with the 9180 I got the other day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Geoff,

I have recently finished building a twin 7163 setup on a inline 6 (not RB) and we are unfortunately having issues with the turbos shuffling/surging.

Would having the larger comp covers with surge slots alleviate this issue? If so is there some way we can purchase them?

Can you machine the 7064 comp cover to fit the 7163?

Have the twin 7163s on R35 or your RB kit suffered this?

Cheers Blake

dont knock it, if you havent tried it :) that 7163 is a sick little turbo. the fact that it's in a smallish package is just to help make my life easier when fitting twins on an R32 or R35. If that photo of the 7163 was taken next to a 3071R and it doesnt look so tiny but the b2 EFR is a big frame size

By the way, putting a huge diameter inlet ported shroud compressor housing on the 7163 saw zero benefit across the map. the decision was made to keep the package size minimal with 2.5" inlet and 2.0" outlet.

hi blake - I need more information. did you get the turbos from Full-Race, if yes how long ago (specifically are these gen1 or gen2 7163?) What displacement is this engine and what rpm are you experiencing the surge? I would suggest to spend some time on borgwarner's matchbot page and figure out this engine's operating parameters to the best of your ability

Hi Geoff,

I have recently finished building a twin 7163 setup on a inline 6 (not RB) and we are unfortunately having issues with the turbos shuffling/surging.

Would having the larger comp covers with surge slots alleviate this issue? If so is there some way we can purchase them?

Can you machine the 7064 comp cover to fit the 7163?

Have the twin 7163s on R35 or your RB kit suffered this?

Cheers Blake

• 1 month later...

Posting on behalf of "Reaper".

Stock N1 engine (V spec II nur)

Borgwarner EFR 8374 1.05 AR rear

AI industries surge tank and Holley 1800 dominator pump with Walbro E85 intank pump

Bosch 2200cc injectors
Tial 44mm wastegates
Full Race twin scroll
4" dump into 3.5" kakimoto exhaust
ATS carbon twin clutch
HKS 100mm intercooler

HKS Step 1 V cam (248 @ 8.6mm)

AAF5E4D7-F072-4218-B83D-7D64932E8EAD_zps

Jezzebelle stopped there because of the standard engine.

* Green line is as it was dropped off, Red line was the final result.