SAU Community

Hobbies Scale Model Kits

I used to make models, mostly modern jet fighters but also some ww2 german armour.

bought all the airbrushing equipement etc etc for it, really fun but takes ages and can be frustrating when you ruin a months work on the air brush pain job.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Arch, my guess is Sean is using K&H stop putty from Autobarn. Looks just like what I use. Should be impressive too when it's done.

Cheers Geoff. :)

:) Damn you guys should never have posted the link to Hobby link Japan. I just got on there and ordered a stack of stuff.... it's gonna send me broke.

One thing I couldn't find though are some flare guards. Anyone have any idea where I can get some? I want the old school bolted on looking ones for a 1/24 size model. Maybe I might just try and mold them myself with the putty....

Yep Geoff's right Archie. I used a tube of k&h stop putty to fill bumpers. It works a treat. Beware though, it etches into the plastic to bond. Cut and sands easily.

Geoff how did you suss out the bare metal foil on the bumpers of the Corvette? Specifically, how do you hide the fact you're using multiple pieces?

and to Archie! :mellow: I too know the pain of HLJ. You should see the top shelf of my wardrobe. And it makes me oh so popular with the Minister of War and Finance :mellow:

Mate if you find flared guards, please post a link or let me know where you found them. I have an old school Skyline on the shelf, with some Fujimi Wantanabes (sp?) after I was inspired by an SAU member with an older GT-R. I forget the model, but I think it's the one that looks like a 240K.

I’m still looking for the flare guards at present, but I may try and fashion some out of the putty… If I find some, I’ll let you know.

I’ll definitely need them though cause I ordered some deep dished 345 Watanabes and I’m fairly certain they will hang out past the body work… but then again that was the idea… They will be going on the GC110 that I posted a pic of on the previous page…. Hopefully I can get started this weekend….

Mark, sorry I didn't answer that. I didn't mean to be rude.

On bumpers and complex shapes I use Alclad paint out of the airbrush over gloss black. It can be found here at Snowy Mountain Models Altona in a range of types in their paints.

It's super fine and needs only shaking then straight out of the brush. It deteriorates with polishing so you can have really polished areas and really worn spots.

Around the sides and backs of the seats I used BMF in larger sheets to get a continuous chrome finish but not flexible enough to completely fill the detail on the sides.

Still too ashamed of the disaster area to show it off. Haven't been doing anything so it's a horizontal storage space.

I must mention there are some fantastic looking kits showing up. Well done to the builders.

For those with an addiction:

If anyone knows of any self help groups that can help people wean themselves from this addiction, now would be a good time to come forward... this addiction is starting to spiral out of control. wacko.gif

I recommend a good club, like mine for the Melbourneites. First Tues of the month at

Bundoora Community Centre

Noorong Avenue

Bundoora

At 7:30

First visit is free, annuals are $15 and $3 per club meeting after.

This is coming up as well:

Australian Model Expo 2006 Link clicky

10-12 June 2006

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

Overtime i have collected some awesome model kit cars...

I have about 23 at the moment and it wont stop there, I dont build them though i prefer to

collect them cause some are kinda rare and discontinued models..

Here are a list of the cars and a couple of pics...

The HKS GTR R32 was the hardest one and rarest one i have come across costed me $$$,,,,

-HKS GrA GTR R32 (TAM)

-GrA UNISIA JECS '93 GTR R32 (FUJ)

-GrA UNISIA JECS '92 GTR R32 (FUJ)

-GrA Kyoseki '92 GTR R32 (FUJ)

-GrA TAISAN '92 GTR R32

-Prince TOKYO GTR R32 (FUJ)

-MINES GTR R32 (FUJ)

-CWEST GTR R34

-VEILSIDE COMBAT GTR R32

-HKS KANSAI SERVICE GTR R32

-CALSONIC GTR R34 (TAM)

-NISSAN R390 (TAM)

-NISSAN FAIRLADY Z-Turbo (TAM)

-NISSAN SKYLINE GTR Vspec R33 (TAM)

-MITSUBISHI GTO Twin Turbo (TAM)

-NISMO GTR R34 Z-TUNE (TAM)

-FORD CAPRI ZAKSPEED TURBO (TAM)

-NISSAN FAIRLADY 280Z-T (FUJ)

-FERRARI F40 Competizione '93 Monte Shell (TAM)

-CASTROL TOYOTA TOMS SUPRA GT (TAM)

-PORSCHE 911 GT2 Road Version Club Sport (TAM)

what you think?

If any one wants any to buy make offers via pm but not really looking to sell : )

post-5465-1149909846.jpg

post-5465-1149909975.jpg

post-5465-1149910120.jpg

post-5465-1149910312.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here a VG30DETT motor I built the other day for one of my models.... the shell is next, after I finish a few little touch ups on the engine. Anyway here is a pic. I made the Dizzy and ignition leads from scratch :D

dscn19010js.jpg

heres some ive made

JGTC R34 (sort of street version lol)

shelf-10.jpg

EVL R34 progress

EVLR34-01.jpg

Bayside blue turbo RX8 and Kandy pink R32 GTR

shelf-14.jpg

Midnight blue R33 GTR, Silver Veilside R32 GTR, Black Astra V8 touring car

shelf-13.jpg

Top secret R34 GTR

shelf-09.jpg

JESTR kandy red S15 and MR WRX Black ice pearl MY04 wrx

shelf-08.jpg

It's the Tamiya kit. Tamiya gloss black (the can job - lacquer) followed by fine wet 'n' dry. Tamiya clear lacquer with lots of sanding in between. Then polishing compound. Then special modelling polishing cloths. I am still trying to get over how realistic the paint looks. I'll try and dig up some more pics of his work - lost of other 1/24 autos.

med_gallery_14114_569_64513.jpg

gallery_14114_569_19148.jpg

thanks guys

its red mica over a gold base

Thanks for the info. I have always thought the colour of your car looked very nice so I decided to build my Sard S15 and paint it a kandy red mica. I have a decal sheet for scale carbon fibre and was thinking about painting the roof black ala 180SX style, and then ricing it with a few stickers I have left over.

Cheers!

tell me people where do you get the motors from i have tryed all the web site and no one has them and if they do they are asking more money then the 1/24 scale model? Or do you just pay for the motor?