SAU Community

Rare Skyline Register

here is an email from my brother:

This is what I can remember.

1. The VIN number is 001 in 1989. It has a Jap plate & Aust plate.

2. Car was on display in Scuderia in Melbourne only. Scuderia Sydney had nothing to do with these cars. It was on display for 2 years & sold in 1992 or so.

3. 6 cars were imported: 3 privately sold and 3 for racing.

4. It has Scuderia dash & Aust compliance upgrades (Switch to dim parking lights etc).

5. Jap log book (all in Japanese text, but it does tell you around certain Jap circuits what speed & gear you should be doing around corners).

6. Aust Scuderia log book (this one tells you how to adjust your seating position, seat belts, how change a tire etc, for compliance purposes) It seems to be typed on a typewriter.

7. It also has a N1 boot lip, N1 openings in bumper bar, etc. These have been pictured on the car from factory in 1989. Apparently these items were on other cars at a later date (1992 - 93 models).

Also car is not for sale!

Hey Marko....I drove 001 a few years back when it was previously up for sale....wasn't standard anymore, and it went just fine. It must have been returned to stock in between. The price was very reasonable for what it was, and I should have bought it at the time.

The history behind these cars was very simple, and basically the same as the full rego R35s that came into the country a few years back.

Under the old import scheme, if the manufacturer did not bring in a car, a private importer could. Scuderia did. I understood it was 5 but I have been wrong before. I would also be amazed if some were sold to gibson for racing, although Alan/Jim/Fred or Terry could no doubt confirm...those cars came direct from nissan jp AFAIK.

Once the manufacturer decided to import, no-one else was allowed to anymore so it was shut down (good old monopolies protecting off shore manufacturers). There were no more full rego GTRs imported until late 1993 after Nissan started selling them (which makes my 91 one of the very few in the country for that matter...)

• Like 1

^^ Correct Duncan, a similar thing happened with series 4 RX-7s with base models being brought in new ex-Japan and undercutting the local models by a good margin.

From memory, part of how the system worked back then was that there was a bit of arm twisting from the car manufacturers that wanted to take a swipe at the importers for using their name, hence the Nissan Skyline GT-R became the Scuderia GT-R so Scuderia didn't get their arses sued.

Hey Marko....I drove 001 a few years back when it was previously up for sale....wasn't standard anymore, and it went just fine. It must have been returned to stock in between. The price was very reasonable for what it was, and I should have bought it at the time.

The history behind these cars was very simple, and basically the same as the full rego R35s that came into the country a few years back.

Under the old import scheme, if the manufacturer did not bring in a car, a private importer could. Scuderia did. I understood it was 5 but I have been wrong before. I would also be amazed if some were sold to gibson for racing, although Alan/Jim/Fred or Terry could no doubt confirm...those cars came direct from nissan jp AFAIK.

Once the manufacturer decided to import, no-one else was allowed to anymore so it was shut down (good old monopolies protecting off shore manufacturers). There were no more full rego GTRs imported until late 1993 after Nissan started selling them (which makes my 91 one of the very few in the country for that matter...)

hey duncan - thanks for the response.

where did u see the car for sale? my brother bought it from alastair @ powerplay imports over 10yrs ago now (how time flies)

i find it interesting that the car was modified as well which is why i want to confirm we are talking about the same gtr, what mods did it have when u drove it as the car looks like virgin & you can still see the yellow paint markings on all hose clamps!?

here is the compliance to prove its '001' for the non believers haha

post-8728-0-29519300-1302045751_thumb.jpg

other visual noted changes as per below pics:

1. rear left antenna (for aust compliance)

2. rear wing brake light (for aust compliance)

3. under dash dimmer switch (for aust compliance)

4. scuderia 300km dash

5. scuderia bootlid badge

6. finned rear diff housing

7. front n1 bonnet lip & snorkels (from factory)

8. rear n1 boot lip (from factory)

9. scuderia log/service books

10. gtr booklet which came with the car, has quirky info & shows all tracks in japan & what speed/gear to take with each corner

from reading the log books, it has a vin number (as per blue i.d. plate) & serial number (as per scuderia plate)

post-8728-0-62804300-1302045858_thumb.jpg

post-8728-0-61883000-1302045865_thumb.jpg

post-8728-0-59855300-1302045921_thumb.jpg

post-8728-0-00735600-1302045932_thumb.jpg

post-8728-0-64999100-1302045997_thumb.jpg

post-8728-0-15009900-1302046005_thumb.jpg

post-8728-0-10514500-1302046104_thumb.jpg

post-8728-0-37847700-1302046146_thumb.jpg

post-8728-0-21966100-1302046175_thumb.jpg

post-8728-0-24019600-1302046246_thumb.jpg

post-8728-0-46666700-1302046436_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marko R1

Bit more background info on this scuderia gtr:

Paul Whitmarsh (2nd owner) bought the car from Chris Smith who was the 1st owner and it was standard. Paul wanted to use it for Targa Tasmania but said the car was too clean for it. He raced some other car for Targa and used the gtr for track days & the odd drive to work and back.

Paul Whitmarsh may ring a bell to those involved in motorsport, races in the porsche cup.

What have you done with your other 2 GT-R's Marko? What are you plans for the Oz GT-R?

i sold the red gtr & i sold my rb2630 from the black gtr & decided to wreck the rolling chassis. still have a stack of parts left...

plans with the aust gtr is to enjoy it & not spend money on it

hey duncan - thanks for the response.

where did u see the car for sale? my brother bought it from alastair @ powerplay imports over 10yrs ago now (how time flies)

i find it interesting that the car was modified as well which is why i want to confirm we are talking about the same gtr, what mods did it have when u drove it as the car looks like virgin & you can still see the yellow paint markings on all hose clamps!?

here is the compliance to prove its '001' for the non believers haha

hmmmm...I thought it was more like 5 years ago than 10....but I had been dealing with them for that long. The car was at powerplay when I drove it. mods may have been minor...remember I am a standard guy not a 400kw e85 guy :P

but still....what did actually happen to the returned cars....perhaps they turned up as prototype/MA cars too. They would have been very hard to sell in 1994 with 1991 build plates

I will assume you mean the R32's post Bathurst?

I may be a newbie to this forum, but been involved in cars all my life.

Racing and working, factory teams & dealerships...

Ferrari did something similar, and MG did also. (when I worked for them)

Bring in cars for homologation/racing/evaluation purposes. in my experience these vehicles returned to the factory, and were crushed, after usable parts were removed, as they were aften 'bastard children' with a mix and match of parts, and often non compliant to the relevant design regs of the countries thay went to originaly.

i do know of a few instances where these cars were used for further developement studies back at the factory ie; component testing.

hope that helps.

hmmmm...I thought it was more like 5 years ago than 10....but I had been dealing with them for that long. The car was at powerplay when I drove it. mods may have been minor...remember I am a standard guy not a 400kw e85 guy :P

i would suggest you drove another scuderia duncan - if that is possible though :)

my brother bought the car in 2000.

• 4 weeks later...

I know of a WRC car which was minus a motor and gearbox only that got crushed, it was here for display and demo, it's useable period came to an end, and my mate was directed to take it to the crushers and watch until it was 100% crushed and destroyed, seats, harnesses, struts, lock, stock, the f**ken lot... And it was pucca...

Speaking of cars imported then getting wasted... So back to rare Skylines...

Edited by iplen

• 1 month later...

Bit of an odd rarity i noticed a series 1.5 4 door R33 built in i believe December 96. GTS25T with the model code ER33 instead of ECR33. Guessing they made too many non turbo shells and decided to make them turbo for the final releases of series 1.5. I know this wasn't a conversion because the build plate had the model and rb25det on it. totally Meh discovery for most but i found it interesting and thought i would share.

• 2 months later...

Well in '95 GTR V-spec is on that list then Im in :).

ad6aa986.jpg

P1010020.jpg

I havent checked to see if its a genuine vspec, but I have looked at the rear diff and that had the sink fins.

If someone would like to check to see if its genuine then im more than happy if you sent me a pm to check it.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if my R32 GTR is rare but it has the chassis number BNR 000082. Its a 1989 model.

Very early GTR off the assembly line. Havent seen another one even close to it yet(in first 100) in the country, (chassis number that is).

Doesnt have a VIN plate tho, didnt when i bought it 6 years ago. Had some trouble with a cop that pulled me over about it but its all good now.

Any one got a chassis number around mine or lower?

Would mine be classed as rare cause of low chassis number?

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have a 94 model Tommy Kaira type R R32 GTR. post-84621-0-37231600-1323166421_thumb.jpg

Im guessing that it is rare because I can't find a thing about them. There were 450 R33 models made but I can't get squat on the 32. Has build plate and all the Tommy bits and pieces. Unfortunately the wheels and seats were taken out in Japan prior to me getting my hands on it. Would love to get them but I think this is and would be mission impossible.

Edited by TKR32GTR