SAU Community

Turbo Charging A Commodore

Dingo

No, they're complete and utter shit.

Get on Street Commodores, or Just Commodores.

The guys who are running those superchargers are getting some impressive figures on the dyno. But not ONE of them, can run a decent time. Guys with a tricked auto, cams, and exhaust, are running quicker times.

Those superchargers are absolute rubbish, power is WAY too high up in the rev range ABSOLUTELY USELESS power in other words.

As for turbo charging the Buick, VN - VR, beautiful engine for it. With a compression ratio of 8.5:1 they love some boost.

Snort performance are selling bolt on kits for $5000 (Haven't yet seen them used overly as they're a new kit), with everything required, except the retune (Injectors, manifolds, turbos the lot) (There are also a few other places starting to make kits, for the same price and same pieces)

The VS - VY engine is a bit of a different fish. Whilst still based on the same design. A lighter weight material was used to build it, and it also sits basically, at the minimum specs that it can. Hence, it is quite well known to punch a whole in the block at 12PSi. Whilst it's earlier buick 3.8L will run for a year or two on 12PSi without showing a single issue.

With just a bolt on turbo kit, and running 12PSi down the throat of a buick, for $5000, you're going to be expecting around 200RWKW.

When you get bored there, pull the heads off have them high flowed and ported, get a good size cam, and then send the intake manifold away to be smoother out. Whilst the heads are off, and cam is being done, upgrade the valve springs, seats, retainers.

In the end, around $8000 with turbo kit, and top of the engine done, and you're going to be up near 300RWKW.

Now, I currently own a VR V6 Commodore, (Hence, I know ALOT about them, I grew up with them) but I worked it out, VR Commodore, worth around $5000 at max, add $8000 to be pushing up at around a max of 300RWKW, with the bottom of the motor still standard (So a touch stressed) you've just spent $13 000. You still have standard crappy brakes, boat like suspension, and standard gearbox. Gearbox isn't such an issue with a manual (Clutch might be) but for an auto, it will be. So factor in another $2000 (MAX) there for a good shift kit, and heavy duty bands and clutches in the auto. But, now your car goes in a straight line, but won't turn.

Now go and have a look in the for sale section at the price of R33 S1 Skylines. Same vintage car basically, (Touch newer). For a stocker, you may only be making 130-140RWKW, but the suspension is far superior, the brakes 10times better. And 200RWKW is only a FMIC, exhaust, boost controller and tune away.

And hence, you can now figure out why my VR is for sale, and parked on the front road, whilst my R33 is now in the garage.

Whilst a commodore can be made to go hella quick in a straight line, for not overly huge dollars in my opinion, you still have other limitations. The Commodore was built on a "family car budget" and hence, pieces in the drive line are NOT tricked up, and WILL need upgrading.

No matter what you do to the Commodore, it will ALWAYS be a family car.

But, for a simple answer, turbo kits start at $5 000, and then you need to start to fix things up as they break.

lol, r33s are family cars too.... just built better :)

Since I've actually come from the SC and JC forums (From when I was going to do my Commodore up) I actually picked that nice bit of information up on Street Commodores.

The V6 was a very last minute decision.

Hence, why when holden got some more time (Between S1 and S2) they managed to change the engine design around a little bit.

It isn't known by many, but there is technically 3 series of VN. Unfortunately, the first two series of VN, are classed as a Series one.

The first was released. It was an absolute torque monster down low. Holden realised this after many complaints of people loosing traction. They quickly changed the head and cam design and changed the tune again, this is basically the "series 2", but is not recognised as an actual series.

For my VR, I would have loved the VN S1 early model Cam and heads (And yes, they do bolt on although many people don't beleive it)

bahahahaha, the buick pig motor was planned late vl because they had to scrap the rb30 due to cost, no rb25 was EVER going to touch a commo. imo vn after they changed the INLET MANIFOLD and tune went better than the s1 vn and felt smoother(very slightly)

as for turbocharging a commo, go to a commo forum. lol or buy a supercharged one.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the compression of the buick style v6 in vn-v4 commodores is almost perfect compression for boost.

And they respond very well due to their torquey nature, its like an xr6t without the big horsepower potential. A few people on here seem to forget that a manual vr wagon is a good match for an r33.

And they respond very well due to their torquey nature, its like an xr6t without the big horsepower potential. A few people on here seem to forget that a manual vr wagon is a good match for an r33.

Are you talking stock for stock? (GTS-t VS VR Wagon V6) As I'd say no. Being that I own a VR Manual, V6, and it's hell slower.

But if you're talking turbo VR, then that's totally different.

And sorry, I did mean the RB30ET. For some reason I was thinking RB25DET (Prob as that's what I've been playing with lately)

I was only asking out of curiosity, I dont personally have a Commodore, chill people chill.

Thanks for your help anyhow

R u now going to steal our babies and say you didn't eat them Dingo...... :laugh:

I am going to ask about turbo charging my Ferrari Enzo. :)

• 3 years later...

sell the holden get a cheap ea-el 5speed, turbo kit for 2grand 250rwkw so much less f**king around

mate is currently in the process

and where is this bullshit about holdens torquey nature, thats exactly what they lack is torque.( i am comparing this to the ford 4ltr but even still they dont got shit all pull )

they seem to get good rwkw such as in america making some of them 210rwkw n/a

yea i was looking up stuff on the xr6t's and this was tagged and had a read n thought what shit is this so posted forgetting to check when it was made

its a good idea to remind people though that holdens have shit shit engines

I havent seen many results from turboed v6 holdens but wasnt the v6 motor based on the v6 from a buick that was sold turboed in america and is a pretty good performer with a few mods....Im talking 10seconds good...

That said still it isnt worth the efffort

Id love one of these though :whistling:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1985-1987-bu...ational-gnx.htm

Edited by Arthur T3

yea i was looking up stuff on the xr6t's and this was tagged and had a read n thought what shit is this so posted forgetting to check when it was made

its a good idea to remind people though that holdens have shit shit engines

funny thing is ive seen a few std v6's with XR6 turbos hanging off the side... nice easy 260rwkw for next to nothing.