SAU Community

Opinions Welcomed On Track Car

garage5ran

Ok, im new here and still searching thru the mountains of information in the forum. But i thought id start a thread to get advice from you the ones with the knowledge. Ok quick history, brought up with car racing, my dad raced sportscars and i spent most of my young life going to race meetings. I did build up a 260Z for marque sports around 2002,i ran some track days and later sold the car when i found i couldnt afford to run it in the state series, which is now winning events and championships in Malaysia, I moved interstate and got into other things.

Anyway im back in Melb, making a little more money (not heaps, but getting better) and am looking at building up a track car, for sprints, track days hill climb etc My top contenders are a S13 Silvia, a 180sx or a R32 or R33 as my base. Any thoughts? I intend on buying something that cannot be registered and have some contacts for getting a car out at a very reasonable price as a track only car. I intend on stripping out all that is not needed (int, seats, heater etc etc) and doing the safety stuff, ie race seat, fire ex, bat cut off etc etc and throwing some decent pads and tyres and getting out and running some laps. What in you opinion offers best out of the box value. I will throw better suspension down the line and then up horsepower with basic things, but its not getting the royal treatment to begin with. Anyway this is already far too long a post. I look forward to all your opinions and thoughts.

cheerspost-35252-1170930812.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of the cars you mentioned, I think the R32 is the best value and package 'out of the box'.

My reasons for this are:

1. Nice light chassis (not as light as S13 but is pretty close)

2. Better equipped than S13 (brakes, 5 stud and RB motor!)

3. Cheap (I've seen R32 GTS-t complied for $8k)

4. RB20 is strong and loves to rev.

5. Turbo is more accessable and easier to work on than S13/180SX

But in the end, I reckon you can't go wrong with any of them. All of those cars are great, but I have a soft spot for the R32.

Perhaps try and drive one of each to get an idea which feels better for you. Good luck and have fun. :)

either an SR20 powered S13 (either silvia or 180) or the 32 GTST would be the go I reckon.

as you can import one not needing registration either one will be very cheap.

my ultimate cheap (ish) sprint, track, hill climb car would be:

R32 GTST

SR20DET conversion

small external wastegate turbo (around 2835, making around 250rwkw with all the supporting gear)

stripped weight to around 1100 - 1200 kilos

all the other obvious track stuff

that would be a winner I reckon.

Not sure if by R32 or R33 you mean a GTS-T or an R.

In any case I would nominate an R32 GT-R. They aren't too expensive. There are plenty of them about & upgrades are equally plentiful. In terms of cost there isn't a whole heap of difference between, say, uprated suspension for a GTS-T or for a GT-R. So why not go the GT-R?

Best of all a gutted, light weight GT-R will be much, much quicker around the track and particularly on a hillclimb than any of the other cars you have listed. :)

If your going to buy a GTR, i would spend the extra money on an R33 GTR. They will always be quicker with better brakes and suspension, better computer for the 4wd.

Again an R33 GTS25T is a better bet then an R32 unoless you are happy to throw away the R32 engine and gearbox and start again with the R32 chassis

track ready GTS for sale and it will maul most GTR's around a circuit. A big comment i know but having owned all the above suggested cars i honestly feel im not just saying that.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...id=2902566&

post-34927-1170995665.jpg

post-34927-1170995684.jpg

Edited by URAS

Just an idea, does it have to be a Nissan? If you don't mind going three star then the evos make decent race rockets. You can pick up versions 1 to 4 for next to nothing in Japan. Parts are a little more scarce in Australia though. Also imported WRXs or if you need it RWD a rotary would make a nice light club car, early versions of both are really cheap here too. WRXs and Evos were made as race cars so even with out modification they can be a lot of fun on the track. 180s, s13s and non GTR 32,33s will take a bit of work.

i have a track ready GTS for sale and it will maul most GTR's around a circuit. A big comment i know but having owned all the above suggested cars i honestly feel im not just saying that.

pm for details.

That's a pretty gutsy statement, what sort of times has this car done on the circuit??

Just an idea, does it have to be a Nissan? If you don't mind going three star then the evos make decent race rockets. You can pick up versions 1 to 4 for next to nothing in Japan. Parts are a little more scarce in Australia though. Also imported WRXs or if you need it RWD a rotary would make a nice light club car, early versions of both are really cheap here too. WRXs and Evos were made as race cars so even with out modification they can be a lot of fun on the track. 180s, s13s and non GTR 32,33s will take a bit of work.

ok. i must say, i know the evos are fast but im just not a fan, i looked at a wrx, but after talking to a very good mate who has a subaru mechanic business and a subaru parts business it was decided to get good hp it was going to be outside my budget even thru him on parts etc. I also love the newer Rx7s but know nothing about rotarys, actually i know less than nothing..lol so i come back to Nissan. R32 is looking good at this point, but if a cheap 180 or silvia came up i may be tempted as they are lighter.

I do have this thread on another forum (nissansilvia) so as to get both sides. Thanks to all for your thoughts, i will keep you up to date if you want on what i choose and how things go.

Beer Baron's idea has my vote.

Best chassis and driveline support gear, and a lighter alloy 4cyl to improve chassis balance front:rear

A bit like having a Supra running 3SGTE.

If you're looking at bringing something in for motorsport use only, then the cost of an EVO would (should) be in the running too. And the grip advantage means they're damn competitive in hillclimb and any short track events. Bigger hp really only comes into its own when you can stretch the legs...

either an SR20 powered S13 (either silvia or 180) or the 32 GTST would be the go I reckon.

as you can import one not needing registration either one will be very cheap.

my ultimate cheap (ish) sprint, track, hill climb car would be:

R32 GTST

SR20DET conversion

small external wastegate turbo (around 2835, making around 250rwkw with all the supporting gear)

stripped weight to around 1100 - 1200 kilos

all the other obvious track stuff

that would be a winner I reckon.

sounds like some good ideas, cheers

Out of interest, how much lighter would an SR20 be compared to a single turbo RB engine?

Also...for out of the box performance an R33 GTS25T would take some beating.

Also budget, budget, budget. For about 20k you can get a GTSt much like what i have and its been reliable. Its a pretty std car with off the shelf non adjustable shocks, turbo setup with ecu and truth is if i did things over i could make it a lot faster for the same money.

You should rock up to the PIARC day next weekend and see some of the guys running various cars

i'm not sure exactly how much ligher the SR is vs the RB, but it's also shorter which help keep that weight closer to the axel line. plus only 4 of everything. 8 less valves, 2 less plugs, 2 less coils, shorter mani less likely to crack, parts are just as plentiful (more so?) than RB parts. you could build a 2.2 litre stroker SR20 with the good gear a fair bit cheaper than say building an RB24 or an RB30 or even a top shelf RB20, but judging by your track record building the thing in the first place is not a requirement! just boost them till they die then buy a new one for a slab of beer.

Face it troy! SR20 is a good motor! smaller, lighter, torquey etc. only downside is they cost a little more to begin with.

I like the idea of an alloy 4 cylinder up the front of an R32 GTSt. Sadly i dont think i could run an SR20. Sure they are a good motor, but if i was goign to do the conversion i would want to run a more recent design motor. I have heard that a CA18DET is lighter then an SR20 ??? So being all alloy cant be doing them all that much good.

All the good 4 cyl engines seem to be iron blocks

i'm not sure exactly how much ligher the SR is vs the RB, but it's also shorter which help keep that weight closer to the axel line. plus only 4 of everything.

Face it troy! SR20 is a good motor! smaller, lighter, torquey etc. only downside is they cost a little more to begin with.

Hillclimb car and (presumably) short tracks for club days.

It's about the turn-in and mid corner speed. Weight distribution F:R is the key, rather than too much technical discussion about RB vs SR. Lets face it, either one is capable of producing USEABLE power in the 220-240 rwkW range, which is probably WAY more than adequate for the intended purpose.

That said, a stock Evo would probably carve it up for breakfast and be a turn-key option into the bargain. Depends on what you want I guess.

:)