SAU Community

JJR Coil Packs Vs Oem Vs Splitfire Vs Other

I managed to get my hands on OEM coils really cheap so have just bought a new set of these. Still to go on the car. From what I've read on here these are the best coils; it's just that the others are expensive. This correct?

The OEM's are expensive but supposed to be the best yes.

Able to mention where your sourcing your coils for cheap?

• 3 weeks later...

great thread. have read the whole lot. my car has developed a flat spot in the midrange on a cold night, everything I have read suggests coil packs. So I might replace them with some of these yellow jackets as everyone seems thrilled with them and with a 2yr warrenty who can complain!.

How long from ordering have people been receiving them when paying express postage?

great thread. have read the whole lot. my car has developed a flat spot in the midrange on a cold night, everything I have read suggests coil packs. So I might replace them with some of these yellow jackets as everyone seems thrilled with them and with a 2yr warrenty who can complain!.

How long from ordering have people been receiving them when paying express postage?

Im located in NSW and I got mine within 2 days. depends where you are located. express normally takes 2-4 days max.

The flat spot wont be coil related.

If its happening on a cold night, then id put money on it being RnR. As the cool air is more dense, so your maxxing out your AFM. Mine does it too when its cold out. SO dont go spending big $$ on coilpacks just yet!

A tune of sorts will sort that out.. largely being a full ECU, or marginally a piggyback.

I managed to get rid of most of mine with an SAFC, but the stock ECU pulls alot of timing in the upper rpm anyway as i have seen.

hi, i might be needing to replace my coil packs and would like to get a set that will perform and last... iv noticed that there are the JJR coil packs (which are nicely priced under $400) that iv read and claim to perform as well as splitfire coil packs which people have used for a long time ($500), will the OEM coil packs perform as well as these other two?

would like your feedback or any info on these coil packs or any prefered or recommended brands...

cheers

4drftn

super spark get em on evilbay cost around $490 they are a direct replacment and work perfectly

• 1 month later...
Bugger that. Go Yellow Jackets. They are only $390 delivered. Come with 2 year warranty. They own SuperSparks.....FTW!!

You can "Go Yellow Jackets" if you want to but I won't ever again.

I had a set put in my S2 Stagea back in May '10 and a couple of weeks later took it to a Supersprint at Wakefield. They didn't last one lap before the car was on 5 cylinders - about $250 worth of entry fee and fuel wasted! O2 Autosport quickly found the offending coilpack. The company that supplies them eventually sent out a replacement and, soon after, I posted a thread about this experience - but that wasn't to be the end of it.

A month or so later I noticed a bit of a miss at high revs and while the car was having a Nistune modification it quickly became clear that another of the Yellow Jacket coil packs was failing.

Enough is enough - out with the Yellow Jackets and in with a set of Splitfires. O2 Autosport was then able to successfully tune the ecu on the dyno. But will the supplier take the set of Yellow Jackets back and refund their cost? No way, at least he's refusing to do so at this stage. Says he hasn't the equipment to test which one is faulty and reckons that his warranty is only to replace the crook one. Fortunately for me, as O2 Autosport supplied and fitted the Yellow Jackets initially, they put in the set of Splitfires for just the difference in cost and are now the ones having the argument about the refund. I feel sorry for them.

Like I said at the beginning I will never touch Yellow Jackets again and would not suggest anyone else does either.

Why didn't you get the second coilpack replaced under warranty?

I have YJ's, they been good for about 15 months...have attended a few days of high revving action...then recently one failed but they replaced it under warranty for me, sending out a replacement coilpack first. Then a couple days later another one went and they sent out a replacement for that. Now it's running ace and I'm still $200 better off than having bought the Splitfires, who aren't exempt from faulty batches either. Warranty issues suck but all manufacturers of coilpacks have had them at some stage. What is important is whether the manufacturer stands by their warranty and as far as I'm concerned YJ do. Spending another $600 on splitfires after you've already bought YJ's, without getting replaced under warranty is a bit silly. But I guess it's not your problem anyway, it belongs with the company that supplied and installed them for you.

You can "Go Yellow Jackets" if you want to but I won't ever again.

I had a set put in my S2 Stagea back in May '10 and a couple of weeks later took it to a Supersprint at Wakefield. They didn't last one lap before the car was on 5 cylinders - about $250 worth of entry fee and fuel wasted! O2 Autosport quickly found the offending coilpack. The company that supplies them eventually sent out a replacement and, soon after, I posted a thread about this experience - but that wasn't to be the end of it.

A month or so later I noticed a bit of a miss at high revs and while the car was having a Nistune modification it quickly became clear that another of the Yellow Jacket coil packs was failing.

Enough is enough - out with the Yellow Jackets and in with a set of Splitfires. O2 Autosport was then able to successfully tune the ecu on the dyno. But will the supplier take the set of Yellow Jackets back and refund their cost? No way, at least he's refusing to do so at this stage. Says he hasn't the equipment to test which one is faulty and reckons that his warranty is only to replace the crook one. Fortunately for me, as O2 Autosport supplied and fitted the Yellow Jackets initially, they put in the set of Splitfires for just the difference in cost and are now the ones having the argument about the refund. I feel sorry for them.

Like I said at the beginning I will never touch Yellow Jackets again and would not suggest anyone else does either.

In my own defense. I did request that the 2nd faulty coil was "isolated" from the rest. I now have 6 coils in my hand, 5 of which there is absolutely nothing wrong with, So there is 1 faulty one amongst the 6 and I have no idea which it is!!

O2 have actually stated they are happy to take a replacement set or a refund. I have not refused to co-operate.

I have always said I would replace the faulty one only. I now have to try and determine which one is faulty so I can replace it.

Warranty terms are warranty terms. The buyer cannot make them up just to suit themselves. It is the same with any product from any company.

The choice for O2 to install Splitfires was at there own discretion and I shouldnt have to bear the cost of the Yellow Jackets.

It would have made the whole warranty process a lot smoother if the faulty one was isolated from the 5 good ones.

I think the pressure you put on O2 didnt help the situation either.

I guess its a case where something was bought to do an intended job, it failed, that is frustrating.

So it was replaced under warranty, then fails again. Being even more frustrating. Then you get silly and start pressuring people.

See it all the time when people build cars, they get pissed of with stuff and go do something silly because there sick of waiting. Like get new coils without giving the seller a chance to rectify, or buying an expensive part when you "think" its the problem, when a 10 min swap would have eliminated it.

But GOOD THINGS TAKE TIME!

I cant say i have heard or read anything bad about YellowJackets before, and even if there was it was always rectified.

Just received my Yellow Jackets...thanks performance wise.

Will report back once installed.

Relax champ, most users have no problems. I've had mine for a few weeks now and haven't had a mis, not one, it's been amazing!!

Thanks PW

In my own defense. I did request that the 2nd faulty coil was "isolated" from the rest. I now have 6 coils in my hand, 5 of which there is absolutely nothing wrong with, So there is 1 faulty one amongst the 6 and I have no idea which it is!!

O2 have actually stated they are happy to take a replacement set or a refund. I have not refused to co-operate.

I have always said I would replace the faulty one only. I now have to try and determine which one is faulty so I can replace it.

Warranty terms are warranty terms. The buyer cannot make them up just to suit themselves. It is the same with any product from any company.

The choice for O2 to install Splitfires was at there own discretion and I shouldnt have to bear the cost of the Yellow Jackets.

It would have made the whole warranty process a lot smoother if the faulty one was isolated from the 5 good ones.

I think the pressure you put on O2 didnt help the situation either.

I don't blame you for speaking up in your own defense but you don't seem to realise that to isolate the faulty coil pack O2 would have to replace one coilpack at a time and then run the car on the dyno to see whether it was the faulty one. Can you imagine how time consuming that would be? Why would they want to spend all that time and labour cost in order to be able to tell you which one had to be replaced? It has already cost them money to replace the first faulty one, yet you expect them to do more.

For my part I was disillusioned enough when the first coil pack failed and cost me a wasted supersprint event. When one or more of the remaining Yellow Jacket coilpacks started to give trouble I wanted no part of them. I put no pressure on O2 - they called me when the car was on the dyno and confirmed my suspicion that another coil pack was playing up. It was very easy to just say "replace them with Splitfires" and they were in total agreement, given the alternative trial and error testing.

I always believed that if a customer is dissatisfied with a product because it misperforms he should be entitled to a refund, no matter what your terms of warranty might be.

Why didn't you get the second coilpack replaced under warranty?

I have YJ's, they been good for about 15 months...have attended a few days of high revving action...then recently one failed but they replaced it under warranty for me, sending out a replacement coilpack first. Then a couple days later another one went and they sent out a replacement for that. Now it's running ace and I'm still $200 better off than having bought the Splitfires, who aren't exempt from faulty batches either. Warranty issues suck but all manufacturers of coilpacks have had them at some stage. What is important is whether the manufacturer stands by their warranty and as far as I'm concerned YJ do. Spending another $600 on splitfires after you've already bought YJ's, without getting replaced under warranty is a bit silly. But I guess it's not your problem anyway, it belongs with the company that supplied and installed them for you.

The first time the YJ coil pack failed, it just died - nothing on that cylinder at all, so it was easy to identify the problem coil pack. This time one or more of the coilpacks showed signs of breaking down at high revs on the dyno when the car was having its modified ecu tuned. At idle all was normal. This meant that coilpacks would have to be changed then tested at high revs on the dyno, by trial and error, before the faulty one (or more) could be identified. No joy for the workshop in committing all that labour at its own cost just so that faulty ones could be replaced under individual warranty claims.

You may be prepared to accept replacement under warranty on more than one occasion from the same set of coilpacks but I certainly would have no faith in the product under such circumstances; who is to say another one wouldn't fail the next time on the track? I had five years of reliable supersprint performance from the Splitfires in my R33.

You may be prepared to accept replacement under warranty on more than one occasion from the same set of coilpacks but I certainly would have no faith in the product under such circumstances;

One even has to jump through hoops to get warranty approval on Splitfires :D