SAU Community

JJR Coil Packs Vs Oem Vs Splitfire Vs Other

hmmm we dont have to wait for a mag to test them ether we just need someone with doh to donate 1 of each and im sure with all the tech experince on this site we could put together a test device .... hmmm i go get my pen and paper out

Ok i could think of 1 way ...... find a model EG series 2 r 33 ..... find people who have splities jjr yellow jackets ect ..... who have run them for around 20000 kms who are within the same power range let say 180-200 kwatw and test them with the multi meter then compair results with an adverage ?

Really? Like everything these days? Thas fascinating.

Ok i could think of 1 way ...... find a model EG series 2 r 33 ..... find people who have splities jjr yellow jackets ect ..... who have run them for around 20000 kms who are within the same power range let say 180-200 kwatw and test them with the multi meter then compair results with an adverage ?

The multimeter readings won't prove much vs. real world results IMO. I dynoed my S15 track car with Splitfires and then with YJs. This is a 280rwkw car on E85 and the differences were negligible when overlayed. Where the Splitfires achieved 3kw more at one point, the YJs would be 3kw higher at another point. In fact overall I was a little happier with the YJ graph, but again it's completely negligible. Coilpacks have to provide a current...it's not like different brands of turbo where you're going to end up with dramatically different results on the dyno. They seem to either work or they don't. The only inbetweens come from wear over time, but all brands seem to carry the same time/km warranty.

^ Just expanding on one point birds alluded to, multimeter testing would require a constant problem, but when I used to have trouble with the stock coilpacks they worked inconsistently, sometimes the car would run as normal, others it'd be missing all over the place.

Heat is a big factor in it. Boost pressure and RPM as well...keeping in mind that most misfires occur in the upper RPM range.

• 2 weeks later...

Really? Like everything these days? Thas fascinating.

The multimeter readings won't prove much vs. real world results IMO. I dynoed my S15 track car with Splitfires and then with YJs. This is a 280rwkw car on E85 and the differences were negligible when overlayed. Where the Splitfires achieved 3kw more at one point, the YJs would be 3kw higher at another point. In fact overall I was a little happier with the YJ graph, but again it's completely negligible. Coilpacks have to provide a current...it's not like different brands of turbo where you're going to end up with dramatically different results on the dyno. They seem to either work or they don't. The only inbetweens come from wear over time, but all brands seem to carry the same time/km warranty.

Thats an interesting input.... good to see they both have differance in application .... sorry i ment to describe a test for how they help up for stregth not power as in test the resistance between all................... the standard ones that i had the differance between working and missing was 1310 to 1410 it was funny to see .0100 was the diff between working and not ..... i would want to see how they all hold up for time .... how long they last

Nah not yet mate, my car is currently stranded at the workshop.

I'll fit them as soon as I get it back, re--gap plugs to 1.1 and post up the results.

Well these have been in for a little while now, going great so far. No missing at all up high.

• 3 weeks later...

Was runing around 18 psi on E85 with yellow jackets (255rwkw). Changed back to 98 and 15psi and have had to gap down back to 0.6mm due to a miss Grrrr Have also had 2 fail but replaced under warranty. Anyone running higher than 250rwkw with YJ?

So for those who've had yellow jackets fail, did they die completely or develop a missfire on high rpm boost (as per broken OEM's).

I've had mine in for about a year and just had the misfire reappear.

Mine died completely...well the car would start on 5 cylidners and take 5 minutes of warm up before the 6th one kicked in. Easy to diagnose...just swapped the coilpacks around until I found the dud.

• 2 weeks later...

after skimming through SAU threads relating to YJs v SFs, the common thing that gets brought up about YJs is the price difference, made in china, the odd YJ being returned and they still seem to do the job.

Im definitely keen to have this 'officially' tested to settle the argument(s) and to see the figures etc. But atm, I'm about $$$.. so YJ's will be my choice for when they need replacing.

*touch wood*