SAU Community

JJR Coil Packs Vs Oem Vs Splitfire Vs Other

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know the energy output of each of the competing coil packs?

Im trying to weigh up a set of LS2 coils to standard direct replacement options

i was touching on this subject in this thread i tried to start, but it looks like no one else measures outputs.. they only care whether they leak or not. at low rpm i was getting a peak output of around 28kV with good old oem coils that didnt leak

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/Co...ge-t333110.html

there is a trader on nissansivia.com selling nissan OEM coilpacks for $105 a piece

for a stock or even mildly modified application, i'd happily pay for a set of OEM coilpacks over splitfires or yellow jackets

WHich trader?

as in 105 x 6 = $630?

what are splitfires worth these days? i bought mine years ago

I bought my splitfires 3 years ago (dreaded R34 GT/GTt dying coils at 100,000km).

I've done 37,000km on the splitfires and going strong. What's the typical life of coilpacks?

Man i burn everytime i drive my car and try to give it a little gas.

I had the missifre problem about 1.5 yrs ago and went with the splitfires from CRD (less than 10,000k's so far), along with new spark plugs at the time and it fixed it.

But now the problem has come back and progressed to the point i cant even take off without heavy missifire let alone dial in some boost at higher rpm.

Has anyone else had such bad performance from a splitfire set?

Im gonna change the plugs again(they were iridium not coppers so should last alot longer than 6thousand k's though!)

Im gonna change the plugs again(they were iridium not coppers so should last alot longer than 6thousand k's though!)

Common myth. It's true in normal cars but HEAPS of people on here agree that they don't last much longer, but everyone's experience varies.

The usual solution is changing plugs every 5000km and using coppers...

I used to be a fan of Iridiums...bleh to that I say. They are good plugs, but unnecessary, and in our engines don't last anywhere near what they claim.

Well after swapping out the iridiums last night to the coppers performance is back up to par.

funny how after 10k's when theyre "supposed" to last like 60k, the tips of 3 of them had somehow dissolved leaving a gap of like 20

so its a +1 for the splitfires from me after all...

They probably do last that long...

NGK and co don't say anything about the performance of the plugs once they are there though...

This performance difference is always going to be more noticeable in a high revving performance vehicle, hence Iridiums are better suited to passenger vehicles as far as the long service intervals go.

Man i burn everytime i drive my car and try to give it a little gas.

I had the missifre problem about 1.5 yrs ago and went with the splitfires from CRD (less than 10,000k's so far), along with new spark plugs at the time and it fixed it.

But now the problem has come back and progressed to the point i cant even take off without heavy missifire let alone dial in some boost at higher rpm.

Has anyone else had such bad performance from a splitfire set?

Could be ignition module. I did the same as you, changed coil packs, changed spark plugs and changed coil pack loom. Each time it seemingly got better but would always come back. Turned out to be dud ignition module. Everyone seems to think that sticking splitfires in is a magical cure all for misfires. It's a load of garbage.

If you can afford it, get some new OEM coil packs. Otherwise JJR ones are fine. Splitfires are over rated. The people frothing about how splitfires are so great are just trying to justify wasting an extra $100 or so.

Nissan quoted me over $190 per coilpack, got 6 yellow jackets for $420.

Could be ignition module. I did the same as you, changed coil packs, changed spark plugs and changed coil pack loom. Each time it seemingly got better but would always come back. Turned out to be dud ignition module. Everyone seems to think that sticking splitfires in is a magical cure all for misfires. It's a load of garbage.

Coilpacks fading is a common problem on skylines though, it's not the source of every single misfire but it has solved the problem for a lot of people.

Nissan quoted me over $190 per coilpack, got 6 yellow jackets for $420.

Coilpacks fading is a common problem on skylines though, it's not the source of every single misfire but it has solved the problem for a lot of people.

Yeah but the poster has replaced his coilpacks not too long ago. I would definately be looking at other options rather than replacing them again. Wouldn't hurt to try a friends known good ignition module and see if it helps. Same for coilpacks, best to identify the problem before throwing money at it.

Yeah but the poster has replaced his coilpacks not too long ago. I would definately be looking at other options rather than replacing them again. Wouldn't hurt to try a friends known good ignition module and see if it helps. Same for coilpacks, best to identify the problem before throwing money at it.

Ahh ok, I see. I'd be doing ^^, the coilpack loom often goes too, but I'd be pretty keen on finding the problem before spending more

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

im gonna be ordering my yellow jackets tomorow, have developed a miss at 6000rpm :(

can you run a 1.1mm gap @ 18psi with fresh new coils? or with that sort of boost 0.8mm is best?

Common myth. It's true in normal cars but HEAPS of people on here agree that they don't last much longer, but everyone's experience varies.

The usual solution is changing plugs every 5000km and using coppers...

How much power (hence how modified) are those cars making?

I have a fairly stock car (with the basic bolt ons running 10psi) & the last time the plugs were changed was back in 09, when I got it dyno tuned (have covered about 20,000km since then).

Still no issues with misfiring or jerkyness (with those 2 year old plugs) when I put my foot down & it revs over 6k... & what ever coils are in there had no dramas neither (never changed since I owned the car 3 years ago).