SAU Community

JJR Coil Packs Vs Oem Vs Splitfire Vs Other

My understanding is that it's the basic advice for most cars. Have a gander at the spark plugs thread, it's pretty long but there are a lot of testimonials. As I said, everyone's experience seems to vary. But most seem to think that coppers are the way to go and though they may last longer changing them every 5000km is safe. Just doing it with an oil change. It's not hard to do with a bit of practice, gives you some regular feedback as to how the car is running and how each cylinder compares to the others.

Most importantly, if you use coppers and change every 5000km the ignition system works, and does so at it's best. So even though some people get hundreds of thousands of kms out of some cheap platinums, and some people get only a few thou km out of high priced iridiums, coppers every 5000km works.

What plugs are you using george?

General rule is run as bit as you can. Bigger gap means a more aggressive spark directly igniting more fuel. You might need to experiment, though someone on here might have better advice.

Note though, the more boost you run the harder it is to cross the spark plug gap.

thanks

i got new plugs also, which come pre gapped to 1.1mm, might leave them as is, go for a drive, hopefuly it doesnt miss. if it does il try gap them down accordinly.

yeah, if they missfire, just reduce the gap by 0.1mm each time until there's no missfire. then you know for next time.

i was running 1.1mm on 14psi with new yellow jackets. no problem.

Edited by Munkyb0y

What plugs are you using george?

In true noob fashion I don't actually know... :whistling:

They were put in by the workshop when I got my car tuned. They mentioned that the old ones where starting to show signs of wearing out & could cause problems with the boosted power levels later on.

I didn't mind seeing they just charged me according to my original quoted price & what ever they put it, it have being holding well for ~20,000kms.

• 2 months later...

So guys what's the general consensus on the yellow jackets now? Still running ok? I'm in need of new coil packs...

+1 for Yellowjackets

Had mine in for ~8months and 20,000km now after the old ones started to die. NGK Platinum plugs gapped to 1.1mm, no woes, now running 5psi and still good. smile.gif

So guys what's the general consensus on the yellow jackets now? Still running ok? I'm in need of new coil packs...

got a set in my r32 gtr, no probs running 1.1mm spark plug gap @ 18psi boost :)

Still going strong for me.

Mine are still all good :)

Had my YJs in my daily for over 2 years now and they're still going strong.

+1 for Yellowjackets

Had mine in for ~8months and 20,000km now after the old ones started to die. NGK Platinum plugs gapped to 1.1mm, no woes, now running 5psi and still good. smile.gif

That's the most direct and convincing question-answer sequence I've ever seen hahaha

lol well if you want to break the answers up, I did have a problem with one YJ coilpack after about 20,000km...but PW replaced it for me...then another went after that and they replaced that for me. Haven't had issues since. That's the kind of after sales service that puts my mind to rest when considering products. Would I buy them again? Yup.