SAU Community

JJR Coil Packs Vs Oem Vs Splitfire Vs Other

So I am in the market for coilpacks as apparently I have a missfire problem, can anyone tell me how I can test WHICH coilpack(s) is faulty in my R34 NEO??? Meaning later down the track if I need to return a failed coilpack under warranty that I just bought, I do I find which is the dud one?? cheers

So I am in the market for coilpacks as apparently I have a missfire problem, can anyone tell me how I can test WHICH coilpack(s) is faulty in my R34 NEO??? Meaning later down the track if I need to return a failed coilpack under warranty that I just bought, I do I find which is the dud one?? cheers

Depends on what's wrong with it. Try checking the resistance of the primary coil in each one (you'll need to know which pins to check, and i'm not even sure if its possible on integrated ignitor coils like you have - depends on how their wired internally). Other than that, look for any arcing, which will happen if the insulation is flawed. Many people fix arcing issues with silicon or electrical tape. Search the DIY section for details on the insulation fix.

Thanks mate ive done the taping of my coilpacks already with high quality silicon tape and it still misses bad so its definitely not an arcing issue but the internal coils are shagged, just need to find out which one..

lol well if you want to break the answers up, I did have a problem with one YJ coilpack after about 20,000km...but PW replaced it for me...then another went after that and they replaced that for me. Haven't had issues since. That's the kind of after sales service that puts my mind to rest when considering products. Would I buy them again? Yup.

It appears that from a warranty perspective...

* Yellow Jacket will honour w'ty

* Superspark will honour w'ty

* With Splitfire, it's like pulling teeth

I think your Q is directed towards Birds.

Usually, one initially looks for a flared scorch mark around it's body emanating from a pit hole that may be visible; perhaps not.> indicates arcing as Adam said.

If a couple in that set are gone, it's best to replace all.

• 5 months later...

Hey guys dont mean to bump an old thread but thought ide ask anyway.

Ive had my drift car for about a year, have only taken it to the track about 5 times so far, its an r32 gtst, rb20det, nistuned @ 15PSI and making 240ish RWHP, i pretty much am limiter bashing this thing at the track most of the time, hitting 6500-7500rpm regularly.

twice at the track its cut out on me, feeling almost like it completley turns off mid drift for a split second and splutters like crap shooting flames out of the exhaust.

So my question is, out of the 3 or 4 main brands out there including OEM, what are the actual BEST items that survive the most punishment, im not worried about price i just want a good product, im leaning towards OEM but am worried that OEM once might last the longest for normal driving but not for drifting or thrashing?

They all perform much the same and have the same failure rate - search all brands and you will see success stories and issues, so there is no "clear winner" brand to go with in terms of expected longevity in a modified car. Consider also, that most people who buy aftermarket coils don't have issues with them and you won't likely hear from them - it is naturally going to be the 1% or so who DO have issues, who will come on here complaining or asking for help.

IMO, go with a brand that is likely to help you out should something go wrong down the track...the last few pages will offer good insight into this.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, have found a genuine OEM coil pack seller for $320 PER SET (which sure beats $190 each) have also found new coil pack looms for $100 delivered.

I am not tossing up between YJ ($420 set) and OEM ($320 set) I've just read this whole thread, confused with some contradicting statements regarding OEM vs SF vs YJ for high hp applications.

I'm of the mentality that std parts are good for std power, what are thoughts on longevity of OEM coils 400hp+ ?

Id be very suspicious of a set of mew OEM coils for $320/set. They are most likely fakes.

I run YJs and have done so in 2 different cars for over 4yrs now, They arent extreme machines. My older stagea, which had a mild 380hp and my R34 GTR has around 460hp and the YJs are perfect. Ive had the YJs in the GTR for around 2 months now.

Theres heaps of guys on here running YJs at over 400hp and have done so for a while now without any hiccups.

you won't be the last person to buy a knock off with a genuine part number.

good luck however. good call if they are real but I highly highly doubt it

Have a look at the item number, the bloke is adamant their genuine, if not i guess I could always return them using PayPal?

Basically, all coils are copies of the OEM ones but this is the worst when they try to pass off a product as genuine by stamping Nissan logos etc all over them.

They go to great lengths to do this.

I dont know why they dont just come up with their own brand like Superspark, Splitfire and Yellow Jackets have done.

Just saw this, you mean with the nissan logo/ stamp?

yellow jackets here I come

I've been using Splitfire coils on my SR20DET and they work great...more stable and strong spark. gotta be careful when dealing with electrical stuff... get quality products and not cheap knock offs esp china made ones.. =)