SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

I was using Motul xcess 5w-40 before i tried the gulf, basically in a nutshell.

Pressure would build up quicker with the motul oil

The gulf western made the car feel "lethargic", almost like it was slower to rev up

Otherwise that was it, it just felt different to drive....I mean I could be crazy and it could all be placebo, but there was definitely a difference in the way the car revved.

Ill see how i go with the Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40.

It's a different grade, of course it would feel different. How often would it be at hot oil temps this time of year...

Do you have an oil temp gauge?

Pouring new 10w40 into an engine today it was like honey...

Well both grades were rated the same, 5w-40 - is that what you are referring too scott?

The R33 GTR has the stock oil temp gauge, once the oil gets up to temp, it seemed to feel the same as the motul (100degree's). Just at lower temps it felt like i described. Where the motul was different at lower temps.

Its been a while since I had the motul in it, so looking forward to seeing how the Shell stacks up against the two, as its priced somewhat in between them both.

The cold weather makes the car lethargic on a cold start not the oil - particularly when you're comparing similar grades.

There may be a difference if someone snuck in some 40W70... :)

Edited by BuuBox

Sorry Booki, I just checked and you are correct, the GW synx 6000 is indeed 5W40, I checked the old Sougi 6000 accidentally which is a 10w40 and the Synx 3000 which is also a 10w40.

I haven't had any issues with any of these grades feeling lethargic, although I suspect the VQ's run a higher oil temp as standard.

I was using Motul xcess 5w-40 before i tried the gulf, basically in a nutshell.

Pressure would build up quicker with the motul oil

The gulf western made the car feel "lethargic", almost like it was slower to rev up

Otherwise that was it, it just felt different to drive....I mean I could be crazy and it could all be placebo, but there was definitely a difference in the way the car revved.

Ill see how i go with the Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40.

agreed.

see my previous post regarding motul vs penrite.

• 2 weeks later...

What gearbox oil should I use in my r34 non turbo?

Has notchy gear change and whines loudly in every gear( although I doubt an oil change will fix this)

• 2 weeks later...

Penrite make it clear on their website that the '10 Tenths Racing 10 (10W-40)' is a synthetic mixed of group 4 and 5 which is great, but my local doesn't stock it!

So I've got to settle for the HPR 10 (10W-50). I've tried searching this thread but can't find an answer as to what group Penrite HPR is.

Anyone know?

Penrite make it clear on their website that the '10 Tenths Racing 10 (10W-40)' is a synthetic mixed of group 4 and 5 which is great, but my local doesn't stock it!

So I've got to settle for the HPR 10 (10W-50). I've tried searching this thread but can't find an answer as to what group Penrite HPR is.

Anyone know?

i bought some at supercheap last time....

i really want to find a drum of it or a place that can fill a supplied drum/container, any clues?

Edited by Dan_J

I bought some Penrite Enviro+ 5W40 to try next change, full synth and SN rated so it should be fine with ethanol. 10 Tenths is hard to find.

Really most autobahns stock it regularly. I swapped from 10 tenths to royal purple and found it ran pretty well in the 33.

Anyone know?

There is also Premium 5 (5W-60)

If you local store doesn't have it, go to another one (if you can).