SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

flushing oil does thin down the oil though which does make it drain easier/better..I do it often but not always..and you dont need to put it in with different oil just put it in your engine with your old and run for 10 minutes before you drain

Undo sump plug, go have beer, cup-of-tea, have a chillax, change filter etc... Then do up plug and keep going.

Prolly would skip that step.

Some people swear by it, but it's not necessary if you're using decent oil and changing it regularly. Not all carbon deposits in the engine are the "devil", any deposits for example smoothing out imperfections in the cylinder lining will be removed, which will subtract from engine performance and longevity.

Agreed, but I think he's referring to flushing out the old oil using motor oil, not an engine flush/detergent.

why would an rb need an oil flush? there probably one of the cleanest engines you'll find in most cases..

if anyones interested , been using the royal purple now for 4000kms, no oil usage and still a nice brown tinge, good oil pressure too :thumbsup:

why would an rb need an oil flush? there probably one of the cleanest engines you'll find in most cases..

if anyones interested , been using the royal purple now for 4000kms, no oil usage and still a nice brown tinge, good oil pressure too :thumbsup:

My RP, in the same car, came out better looking than my sougi. Doing another change today. After this last bottle of sougi, Ill be giving motul 300v a try.

for what its worth - last change i let my rb25det drain for an hour - was barely dripping (1 drip from the drain hole evey 20-30 seconds) took the used oil bucket away - chucked another bucket underneath and left it for another 8 hours (went to sleep)checked the bucket in the morning, i was amazed, there was a considerable amount of oil that had still drained into the bucket.. at a guess id say 250ml .. its a bit overkill for 250ml or so..

What's your idea of "better"?

It wasn't as black and burnt looking and didn't smell as strong. They don't smell like burnt oil, just a very petrol smell in them but it was stronger in the sougi oil. Maybe its the difference between the viscosity of the oil?

Viscosity can be a factor, but Sougi is a detergent heavy oil and is commonly mistaken for having "burnt" or "broken down" due to the black appearance. The reality is closer to it having done something of a flush to your engine. I've seen the oil turn black after 1000km in a perfectly healthy engine...far from broken down. Of more concern to me, would be an oil that looks the same coming out as it did going in - after 5000km of high temperatures in a carbon heavy, high revving engine. This being said, Royal Purple is a very good oil, so I'm not at all saying anything to the contrary...it's just that misdiagnosis of oil condition is common when using rules of thumb such as colour or smell. Keeping in mind a burnt smell can be misleading too, when oil is a vessel for removing buildup and contaminants, which are the result of combustion - texture is probably much more important. All this being said, it is very unlikely for any oil to have broken down or burnt unless you have exposed it to severe operating conditions or maintained a service interval for too long.

Hai guise, probably will be changing my oil tomorrow :].

From reading various pages of this thread, I have come to believe Sougi is the way to go :O.

But M5000 is no longer made (neither is S6000 which seemed more than I need anyway?), so I'm thinking of using Syn-X 3000, 10w40? Car is R34 N/A btw. Would this be sweet?

Ty for any advice :cheers:

Viscosity can be a factor, but Sougi is a detergent heavy oil and is commonly mistaken for having "burnt" or "broken down" due to the black appearance. The reality is closer to it having done something of a flush to your engine. I've seen the oil turn black after 1000km in a perfectly healthy engine...far from broken down. Of more concern to me, would be an oil that looks the same coming out as it did going in - after 5000km of high temperatures in a carbon heavy, high revving engine. This being said, Royal Purple is a very good oil, so I'm not at all saying anything to the contrary...it's just that misdiagnosis of oil condition is common when using rules of thumb such as colour or smell. Keeping in mind a burnt smell can be misleading too, when oil is a vessel for removing buildup and contaminants, which are the result of combustion - texture is probably much more important. All this being said, it is very unlikely for any oil to have broken down or burnt unless you have exposed it to severe operating conditions or maintained a service interval for too long.

what do you mean by carbon heavy? with 5000km changes and premium oils and fuels why would there be much carbon in the engine?

what do you mean by carbon heavy? with 5000km changes and premium oils and fuels why would there be much carbon in the engine?

You should have seen my spark plugs after 300km. I was rich as f**k, this shit was snow flaking off. This lasted for about 800km so this could also have altered the colour of the oil coming out and he probably means that say per km of driving, an aging/modded RB will produce more carbon in comparison to other cars. Quite normal I believe for a modded engine running richer fuel mixtures. The more fuel you burn, the more carbon deposits there will be. I too wasn't saying sougi was a bad oil, but as you said, I misread the oil just going by the old bull you hear about the darker it is the more burnt it is. I feel good knowing that it is cleaning my engine.

Hai guise, probably will be changing my oil tomorrow :].

From reading various pages of this thread, I have come to believe Sougi is the way to go :O.

But M5000 is no longer made (neither is S6000 which seemed more than I need anyway?), so I'm thinking of using Syn-X 3000, 10w40? Car is R34 N/A btw. Would this be sweet?

Ty for any advice :cheers:

pm birds, he has some left i'm thinking.

i'll be grabbing another few bottles of his stock when my allowance comes in.

All engines run rich, that carbon build up in various places, oil removes it. I think I've read a few times that rb engines are particularly carbon heavy, not sure if that's just the stock tune, or the stock tune's reaction to common mods, the engine design or all of those listed.

pm birds, he has some left i'm thinking.

i'll be grabbing another few bottles of his stock when my allowance comes in.

hmm yeah, perhaps for next time, though. keen to get it done tomorrow :P

my mate is insisting magnatec will be all good, but this thread seems to hate it XD.

as such, syn-x not too bad you reckon?

Edited by kaitoukid

Baha magnatec, worst thing I ever did to my skyline. Was going to put it in for 1000km just to give the engine a wash out with a cheaper oil, ended up taking it out after a few hundred because it sounded like ass and hated to rev.