SAU Community

The Goods On Oils

PHaT MR30

New Skyline owner here, stock 1990 GTS-t Just did an oil and filter change, it needed it badly, was starting to make lifter noise and the old oil was quite black. Went into Repco to check what they had, and came out with 5L of their own brand (blended by Penrite) semi synthetic 10-40W, a filter and a bottle of Nulon engine oil flush, all for pricely sum of $49. Put half the Nulon in at the car park and drove it 4km gently home, then put the remainder in and idled for 10 mins. Drained for 30 mins screwed in the new filter and refiled with the Repco oil.

No more lifter noise, idle is smooth as and free revving, engine only has 60 000 on it and still seem nice and tight, oil pressure at idle is just above 2 and just under 4 when revved, oil consumption is next to zero.

Any opinions on Repco Semi Synth 10-40? Since this motor is quite fresh should I be looking some 5-30 for my next change, or should I stick to the 10-40 since I live Qld.

Cheers

Mike.

Edited by Missileman

Any opinions on Repco Semi Synth 10-40? Since this motor is quite fresh should I be looking some 5-30 for my next change, or should I stick to the 10-40 since I live Qld.

Cheers

Mike.

Can you post some specs on it? I honestly wouldn't trust something like that, they probably have developed it to undercut their other products and make a decent margin on it. Semi synth sounds av.

I would go for one of the full synths mentioned in this thread for $59, you don't need the engine flush crap.

Couldn't find a spec sheet at the Repco site, so the only information available is what is written on the package...

if its one thing ive learnt from owning a skyline, you cant go buy cheap shit like that, its generic repco stuff, you aint driving a commondor or ford anymore, these cars are performance!! I used to own a commondor and the oil was like $20 but now owning a skyline I get the good stuff $65 5litre bottle of 4100 MOTUL, you cant run cheap semi synth in ya RB, thats just a heads up, even if you do, you will probably have to change it more often

Couldn't find a spec sheet at the Repco site, so the only information available is what is written on the package...

if its one thing ive learnt from owning a skyline, you cant go buy cheap shit poo that, its generic repco stuff, you aint driving a commondor or ford anymore, these cars are performance!! I used to own a commondor and the oil was like $20 but now owning a skyline I get the good stuff $65 5litre bottle of 4100 MOTUL, you cant run cheap semi synth in ya RB, thats just a heads up, even if you do, you will probably have to change it more often

I mean even the cheapest oil out there is going to be fine for daily driving, it is only when you are out tracking it or giving it a good run through the hills that you want to better oils that don't break down and burn. However when the price difference is so tiny, you might as well get a known really good oil like Motul 8100 but don't spend more than that, eg the chrono oil etc which is over $120, that isn't value for money.

Leave it in there until next change, but next time go something a bit more quality.

The car is my new daily drive and it has an auto transmission so it's likely to never see a race track, a nice brisk run up mountain road is another story. At $36 including a free oil filter and being produced by Penrite convinced me to give it a try, if I can find the $60 full synthetic without having to travel too fare out of my way then I'll give it a go next change.

Edited by Missileman

The car is my new daily drive and it has an auto transmission so it's likely to never see a race track, a nice brisk run up mountain road is another story. At $36 including a free oil filter and being produced by Penrite convinced me to give it a try, if I can find the $60 full synthetic without having to travel too fare out of my way then I'll give it a go next change.

Go to your local autobarn, get the gulf western synx-3000

Probably one of the best semi synths out there and i rate it better than the nulon full synth

Will be on my 3rd change shortly

I get the good stuff $65 5litre bottle of 4100 MOTUL, you cant run cheap semi synth in ya RB, thats just a heads up, even if you do, you will probably have to change it more often

lol, motul's 4100 range IS semi-syn (that's what the "technosynthesse" on the bottle means)

not that there's anything wrong with semi syn, you need a mineral content to run ethanol based fuels like e85 and i ran my old 25 on 4100 turbolight for 3 years @ 300rwkw before it popped

if its one thing ive learnt from owning a skyline, you cant go buy cheap shit like that, its generic repco stuff, you aint driving a commondor or ford anymore, these cars are performance!! I used to own a commondor and the oil was like $20 but now owning a skyline I get the good stuff $65 5litre bottle of 4100 MOTUL, you cant run cheap semi synth in ya RB, thats just a heads up, even if you do, you will probably have to change it more often

what about all those RB30 powered commodores and R31's that are still going perfectly fine after 1 million k's running on Coles brand oil

it isnt a Bloody F1 motor

what about all those RB30 powered commodores and R31's that are still going perfectly fine after 1 million k's running on Coles brand oil

it isnt a Bloody F1 motor

My 31 loves the $13 gulf western oil!!!!!

My 31 loves the $13 gulf western oil!!!!!

I put USED skyline oil in my barina lol, I never dump the oil, I just keep topping it up and it burns it. Put about 10L in there in the last 6 months.