SAU Community

How Fast Is Your Stagea (really)?

KiwiRS4T

My main engine mod is the bigger exhaust (from front pipe to rear including gutted cat) and a bigger (Trust) smic and so far this is giving me 155AWKW. I have fitted the Jaycar boost controller and am now fitting the SAFC and SITC and will then tune it - but I'm not expecting more than about 160- 170AWKW until I get a new turbo to push it over 200AWKW. I have actually spent just as much money on the brakes and twice as much on the suspension and now i have a pretty zippy touring car but my first track day revealed

1. I need better wheels and tyres

2. My greddy speed cut thingy doesn't work so i still don't know how fast my car can go past 180km/hr

but more significantly...

3. Its slow off the line. Using just a stopwatch and the speedo my 80 to 120 time (done all in 2nd gear) is about 5.5 seconds which is comparable to the Holden Sportwagon Calais which also weighs 1850kg but is supposed to do 0 to 100 in 7.95 seconds (say 8) whereas even with booting the auto against the brakes I can't get much better than 11 seconds. Do other people with similar power levels get similar 0-100 times or is mine exceptionally slow? The 80 - 120 time is compatible with my current power level but I expected it to be a bit quicker off the line. A lot of fairly ordinary family cars can do better than 10 seconds. Has anyone else timed their car over 0-100 or 80 - 120? I am wondering if my Atessa is playing up. I'll change the ATF in it and give it a good bleed and see how I go after a tune.

My car pulls low 14's on the strip with 186RWKW (lighter, more power than 4wd) so should be in the 6 second range.

I have seen stock RS4 S1 stageas pull 16&17s down the strip which i would guess is near the 9-10 second mark for 0-100.

When you get it tuned get it up to 12 or so PSI. The SAFC in mine is running about -15% at 4500-6500rpm.

Where are you getting it tuned?

Edited by GorGasm

My previous stagea (series 2) had a larger turbo but still was only at 160awkw (9psi) and i had timed it 0-100 with a stopwatch (i know, not the most accurate way) and it was around 7-8 seconds. Sorry I couldn't be more specific but that should give you a rough idea.

When it had the stock turbo, the top end wasn't very strong. It was able to get up and going fairly quickly but kind of ran out of puff after about 4000rpm. After I upgraded the turbo, it was almost the opposite. More laggy, but once the turbo kicked in around 2600rpm it pulled pretty good. It would hit max boost around 3700rpm and would go strong all the way to redline.

Now I have an M35, and its a lot quicker than my series 2 (when it was stock). I'd say the M35 is quicker 0-100 than my series 2 was even with 160awkw, mainly due to the faster turbo spool and more torque.

anything over 8 seconds does sound a bit slow for a stagea (although i'm not sure of the series 1's).

my particular Stagea did low 15sec pass 3yrs ago (previous owner in qld) with just catback, pod and boost-T

done a lot of work since then, unlimited speedo even lol

should be 5.9 for 100m or there abouts, and 13.7-14.0 for 400m give or take

edit: plus Ive just collected all the Head work stuff (tomei poncams & lifters, 90mm throttle body, head internals), so should be good in half a yrs time

Just a pissy 500rwhp.

800-900 is mental, as are you, nice match really.

Not my car unfortunitly, but another forum members car. I do not want to steal too much of his glory

It will be a turbocharged nissan V8, so it should have plenty of torque.

Ps. I am only half mental. The full metal people are in Darwin :D

My car pulls low 14's on the strip with 186RWKW (lighter, more power than 4wd) so should be in the 6 second range.

I have seen stock RS4 S1 stageas pull 16&17s down the strip which i would guess is near the 9-10 second mark for 0-100.

When you get it tuned get it up to 12 or so PSI. The SAFC in mine is running about -15% at 4500-6500rpm.

Where are you getting it tuned?

The sparky at Torque Performance is wiring in my SAFC, SITC and LM2 afr meter (yes I would say it is typically RB rich at max revs as people report flames shooting out of the exhaust on the track day) so once I sort out some form of knock detection I plan to tune it myself. I expect to be able to put some more advance in low down - it goes like a rocket from about 5000 to 7000 but want a bit more zip in the midrange. When I get a better turbo and my adjustable exhaust cam gear fitted I will tune it as best I can and then take it somewhere (Soichi?) and see how much they can improve on my tune.

[later] Just got my car back - it appears to be running lean in the midrange - will see if I can remedy that with my SAFC or whether I need to turn up the fuel pressure.

according to blaZT cable and laptop mine does 0-100 in 6.35 . on a luke warm evening with my fat arse and 1/3 / 1/2 half a tank of gas . de cat cat back HDI fmic and RB20det wastegate actuator

mines not running very good at all atm, installed a cheapo boost controller on the weekend ( not turbo tech, got one of those on the way now tho) and in 1st and 2nd gears it jumps nearly up to 14psi at about 3-4000 revs then drops back to normal boost heading up to 5 -6000revs once you hit third tho it only gets up to 7psi and continues to bleed boost as the revs increase.......this is all on the lowest boost aswell

so yeah, they are cheap version of the turbosmart in-cabin boost controller, and yeh i dont know whether i just got a dodgy one or somethin but yeah i wouldnt recommend them..

use you'r imagenation :P

A C-130 was lumbering along when a cocky F-16 flashed by.. The jet jockey decided to show off.

The fighter jock told the C-130 pilot, 'watch this!' and promptly went into a barrel roll followed by a steep climb. He then finished with a sonic boom as he broke the sound barrier. The F-16 pilot asked the C-130 pilot what he thought of that?

The C-130 pilot said, 'That was impressive, but watch this!'

The C-130 droned along for about 5 minutes and then the C-130 pilot came back on and said: 'What did you think of that?'

Puzzled, the F-16 pilot asked, 'What the hell did you do?'

The C-130 pilot chuckled. 'I stood up, stretched my legs, walked to the back, went to the bathroom,then got a cup of coffee and a cinnamon bun.'

When you are young & foolish - speed & flash may seem a good thing !!!

When you get older & smarter - comfort & dull is not such a bad thing !!!

Us old buggers understand this one!

hehe if you want your stagea to feel faster, drive an old falcodore for a couple of months... :laugh:

I've got an old R30 and an old Patrol.

I had a new EA once, what a heepa. And it was a Fairmont Ghia.

hehe if you want your stagea to feel faster, drive an old falcodore for a couple of months... :laugh:

I've got an old R30 and an old Patrol.

I had a new EA once, what a heepa. And it was a Fairmont Ghia.!

HTF do I get rid of this duplication????

Edited by 66yostagea

I can say stock S2 does 0-100 in 7.03; repeated 3 times with the same results. I have gotten a ~7.8 with 3 people in it; completely stock, stall launch.

PS just had it dynoed at 130.9 RWKW (next time it's going on a 4WD dyno...)

Edited by DaveB