SAU Community

Hypergear Turbochargers and High flow Services Development thread

OH. I missed the bit where you edited my post.

IMHO difference will be next to zer0. All assuming the IWG isn't actually hindered by reducing it to a V-band out.

If the drain pipe is of concerns I would heat wrap the dump and put reflective race tape on the drain hose.

OH. I missed the bit where you edited my post.

IMHO difference will be zer0.

If the drain pipe is of concerns I would heat wrap the dump and put reflective race tape on the drain hose.

Done already and so far so good. It's also to lowest part of my exhaust so was thinking about modifying it to be higher or make a dump in v-band and sell my bell mouth. Might just leave it and modify from dump backwards

So you not going to test the stainless mani remade in steampipe first before delivering a verdict?..i thought it would pick up

spool made in steampipe due to retaining heat better?

cheers

darren

I think you would find the stainless would retain the heat better than the carbon steel :)

Done already and so far so good. It's also to lowest part of my exhaust so was thinking about modifying it to be higher or make a dump in v-band and sell my bell mouth. Might just leave it and modify from dump backwards

Also thinking about this. Following the recent discussions on the JJR bellmouths not matching up to the gasket and possibly being a restriction, I decided to pull mine off to double check and low-and-behold, mine is the same. I could clean it up with a die-grinder, but I'm considering just having a custom dump pipe fabbed up, possibly in 3.5 or 4".

Stao, how hard would it be to convert the G3 Type-A rear housing from the OEM 6-bolt pattern to a V-Band or even 5-bolt flange?

I could clean it up with a die-grinder, but I'm considering just having a custom dump pipe fabbed up, possibly in 3.5 or 4".

Stao, how hard would it be to convert the G3 Type-A rear housing from the OEM 6-bolt pattern to a V-Band or even 5-bolt flange?

Keep me in the loop if your going to get one made. Stao wants a photo of mine when I'm home to confirm rear housing model. Hopefully can just bolt on the rear adaptor

I ground mine out a bit and tapered the edges but still not 100% happy with it. It also has an inner skin that has lifted in sections prob due to the 1000c + temps it saw 4 years ago when it Chernobyl'd

Edited by t_revz

I also run a JJR dump and was very disappointed in the way it was when it arrived, I ended up die grinding massive amounts of metal out of it and had to reweld the flange as the pipe is welded inside.

But either way the car is going great with the high flow, I've done the first drift day in it (well 2 days, qr drift matsuri) and survived, even drove too and from the track :)

For a budget style drifter the high flow is perfect, I'm running stock injectors and around 210rwkw at 14psi.

The turbo and engine performed perfectly all weekend, and only problem was fuel surge on big right hand corners in third (surge and pump currently being fitted) and also killed my diff lol

Massive thanks again to stao

Well when you all get ready to sell your JJR dumps, someone PM me... I need a cheap dump...

Just saw they are only 180 in mild steel or 200 in stainless from just Jap. Cheap as

I won't feel bad hacking mine up now. Might cut a new flange at work and transfer it over

i think stao should offer his own dump to suit his own rear housing

then develop an iwg setup that works really well

if he can make a turbo for $1k then he should be able to knock out some cheap dumps

^ Exactly.

One of the best things about a HG is that it bolts on and is zero hassle.

Photos of Stao's adapter next to an OEM gasket shows his machine work is second to none and is as good as it can get in terms of being matched to the gasket. You cant ask for better.

Now that we know that JJR quality has gone down hill for the 1 piece dumps all we need to do is find an alternative. My money is on the Xforce.

^ Exactly.

One of the best things about a HG is that it bolts on and is zero hassle.

Photos of Stao's adapter next to an OEM gasket shows his machine work is second to none and is as good as it can get in terms of being matched to the gasket. You cant ask for better.

Now that we know that JJR quality has gone down hill for the 1 piece dumps all we need to do is find an alternative. My money is on the Xforce.

Mine is 3 years old now, so I wouldn't say it's a thing that has happened recently.

If you're gonna change the dump/flange pattern, you may aswell follow through, do it properly, and go external gate.. F*ck it, why not get a 6 boost while we're at it..

Perhaps this is why Stao makes these turbo's the way he does (Affordable and simple).

Why does changing the flange pattern mean you should go external gate? I don't see how it makes anything harder? Right now you buy a HG turbo, and it's pretty much a requirement to have a dump pipe as well if you want the numbers. So you need to buy a turbo and a dump in either situation, why is it any harder to have a different flange if it's coming in a package?