SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

Merli

well i use a bf xr6 turbo 6 spd auto ute to tow now, tows much better than my old fg xr6 sedan used to, much more stable plus much more room for tools, lunch, fuels, etc would go a ute anyday!

Get a wagon, even better!

Be warned, a manual is not certified to tow that much weight... no doubt it is just a warranty thing for people that abuse their clutch/gearbox, and has nothing to do with what it can actually handle as far as stability and stopping goes.

But if the worst happens, you don't want your insurance company going 'oh, sorry, your car is clearly only allowed to tow 1200 kg (or what ever it is), no payout for you'

Insurance companies can be assholes, I know a guy that ended up with a huge bill when his old shit box got hit by another car - and it was deemed his fault cause his backyard paint job was deemed to be the issue - not as easy to see as the original glossy paint apparently.

You don't want to give them any outs.

Edited by samstain

Having the capacity to tow something but not breaking the bank when doing it is something else. Depends on distances of course, petrol for short, diesel for long drives.

Caravan Trade and Industries Association of Queensland in conjunction with RACQ publish a comprehensive Vehicle Towing Mass Guide based on manufacturers' specifications:

Holden Commodore VU VY V8 s / ss Utility man / auto 12/2000-08/2004 500kg unbraked 1600kg braked #1 Load level hitch req'd over 750kgs. #9 Owner's handbook MUST be referred to for additional vehicle fittings when towing.

The only Commodores rated to tow 2100kg in that model are the auto sedan, wagon (ex VY factory LPG Wagon) and one tonner, and even then it has this condition:

#8 Max 80km/h over 1600kg.

Commodores and Falcons are simply not a great choice for a tow car.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if towing stuff is legal in Japan? So domestic models may not have manufacturer tow ratings. If they are rated at all, it's fair to say they unlikely to be any better than the local Falcon/Commodores which are rated to 80km/h max over 1600kg with load levelling kits and stuff.

Edited by hrd-hr30

So not a D22, mine sucked for towing, even when almost brand new. I had my WRX (early shape) on a light weight trailer for and all up load of about 1900kg, and it couldn't maintain 80kp/h into a slight headwind, and going up hills was even worse, I took it to Nissan, and they gave it a clean bill of health, it got run on a dyno and the figures that it made where line ball with the stated outputs for the engine as well.

Y61 Patrol 4.5 litre petrol big girl,,,she tows like a gem,,,.

Not like the crappy falcon wagon swaying/wobbling box of shit we killed. It did last 4 years but was a pathetic tow vehicle under load. I couldn't ever sleep while the boss women was at the wheel,,,not that she can't drive,,,I just didn't trust the car.

Sure the Patrol chews the juice but is as stable as and accelerates up most hills,,,we tow about 2000k usually (car and trailer).

Admittedly she not our daily driver,,,so fuel is not an issue and we will buy the 4.8 litre one when this girl has run her course.

Nissan all the way.

Cheers

Neil.

I have a 2007 chevy 2500hd 4x4 with a Duramax with all kinds of upgrades for sale here in the US if interested? It'll tow anything you'll give it. Shipping might be costly though.... Just throwing it out there.