SAU Community

Good Tow Cars?

Merli

clearly you dont have any friends who own a jeep( which is a good thing)... allthought they do awsome wet grass 4wd skidz before exploding

i say you buy one then in 3 years i can laugh at you and this thread

X2 Fatman. cuppla mates in the trade made the fatal mistake. Harder than aids to get rid of too.

clearly you dont have any friends who own a jeep( which is a good thing)... allthought they do awsome wet grass 4wd skidz before exploding

i say you buy one then in 3 years i can laugh at you and this thread

;)

i once drank half a slab of beer while a mate with a GC tryed to get the central locking to work so he could get it to grab his jacket

the road side service couldnt even unlock it

i was drunk it was funny

I think I'd still rather a Jeep GC noes.gif

man up and buy a Patrol. If cheap is one of your criteria an aftermarket turboed TD42 GQ can be had for less than the cost of the Jeep. Or the RD28 TD. GQ's don't rate highly in the wussy luxury department though. But if you are only hopping in it when you're about to race your car, a bit of hardening up won't f**kin hurt ya!

man up and buy a Patrol. If cheap is one of your criteria an aftermarket turboed TD42 GQ can be had for less than the cost of the Jeep. Or the RD28 TD. GQ's don't rate highly in the wussy luxury department though. But if you are only hopping in it when you're about to race your car, a bit of hardening up won't f**kin hurt ya!

wtc.gif

X2 Fatman. cuppla mates in the trade made the fatal mistake. Harder than aids to get rid of too.

A good friend of mine who is a mechanic at a jeep dealership told me if i ever bought one he'd kill me ;) They make him quite upset.

I have a V6 Crewman which I use for work. Towed the Z32 home from Surfers on a really heavy trailer.

It is so godamn frustrating cant tell you. The new V6 engines dont have the torque down low the old pushrod 6 did. The bastard spent a heap of time changing down gears. Fuel economy was crap. 16L/100K on petrol and 21L/100K on LPG ;)

Car was 1200KG, trailer must have been 700+. I hope I never have to do this again.

I am gonna have to build a 400kg trailer for the car to give the Crewman half a chance of pulling it.

But when i am not pulling the trailer/car, The CREWMAN is great, 500klms+ on a 71 litres of GAS cost $31 :rofl:

So it is a reasonable compromise I spose.

LOL @ how worked up some guys get defending/justifying their choices of tow vehicle! :)

was just having a bit of a dig, not worked up. you Jeep owners are a bit over-sensitive!

:) patrol for the win mine is fairly easy to drive and comfy on road but obviously u would have to have the Coils all round ive owned the cruiser aswell but still reckon the patrol is nicer to drive and all round tougher. but merli how u spend ur money and wat u get is upto u :D

Have a GQ 4.2 Dual Fuel (still carbied) Which has been in the family since new, it has been punished like nothing else (airborn too many times to count, used as a safety vehicle at rallies etc) and the probs are that the heads crack from the Gas (if you look after them probably not) and they get a bit of a rattle (hard to talk over in ours)

But from Bathurst to Albury and back (Empty trailer 1 way, car on the way back) it used the same amount of money to fill as a 3litre turbo Rodeo (first of the current shape) was a bit slower, but things like clutches, gearbox, Diffs etc will last heaps longer.

Ours has towed rally cars all it's life and the clutch and box were untouched until 250,000k+, (started falling out of 2nd) the clutch was still fine but replaced it anyway.

For value Patrol (4.2TD or Dual Fuel 4.2,4.5,4.8)

Or if you find a good one 80 Series TD Cruiser, I drove one recently and they are a better package (grunt and build quality), but still heaps more money.

So, serious question....with regards to the V6 commodores and their towing...

what if your towing say a 900kg - 1100kg car with a 400kg trailer, say in VX to VZ V6 that ok? or illegal or not??

how does one check?

Reason I ask is my Dad will be selling his immaculate VX berlina later this year and its too good to miss out on, and I have a little wiggles car, I mean MX5, so yeah, was hoping I'd be able to tow with that! :action-smiley-069:

Thoughts?

So, serious question....with regards to the V6 commodores and their towing...

what if your towing say a 900kg - 1100kg car with a 400kg trailer, say in VX to VZ V6 that ok? or illegal or not??

how does one check?

Reason I ask is my Dad will be selling his immaculate VX berlina later this year and its too good to miss out on, and I have a little wiggles car, I mean MX5, so yeah, was hoping I'd be able to tow with that! :action-smiley-069:

Thoughts?

See my post above re towing with a Crewman ute.

An MX5 on a 400kg trailer would be fairly easy for it. You can get a 2 tonne tow pack for a commodore.

Edited by Tektrader69

Had a look on carsales today, 08 Mitsubishi Triton single cab 2wd 3.2 TD for $18000.

Ive had my GLXR for two years now and have towed everything from Toranas to Commodores to Skylines to buggys, and its awesome. over 420nm of torque. Excellent turning circle and good fuel economy. Get 9ltrs to the hundred around town, under 8lts on the freeway and about 13ltrs with 1800kg on the back. Best thing it is comfortable. and has 10 year 160,000km warranty.

Reading this thread I lose any hope of the tow car and daily being the same car :blink: Where do you guys store all these cars? Assuming two dailies (you + missus), track car, trailer, tow car.... :action-smiley-069:

Reading this thread I lose any hope of the tow car and daily being the same car :( Where do you guys store all these cars? Assuming two dailies (you + missus), track car, trailer, tow car.... :action-smiley-069:

Are you serious? :blink:

A wife is like the PERFECT place to hide a tow car!!

"Honey, I really think we need to upgrade your vehicle. Spending so much time on the roads, I'm a little worried about your safety with all the crazy drivers out there. I'd like to see you in something bigger and safer..... Get you higher up and increase your visibility.

Something like a Twin Turbo V10 Touareg or Turbo Diesel Prado"

everyday car as well..... a second hand V10 Touareg TTDI....about $60,000......can pull a plane you know :action-smiley-069:

In all seriousness ....well had an ML55 with at least 2.5 tonne trailer and used to get 29-31lt's per hundred at 90km's on the freeway.....the same trailer with the Tourareg is 14-15lt's per hundred at 110km's..... only problem is you forget the trailers there sometimes. Not to mention the air suspension so that you never have to hand jack the trailer up.....just drop the car to the deck, reverse up and the raise it...job done.