SAU Community

Ford F6 Typhoon Vs R34 Gtt

I used to think the same about Aussie cars till I saw a 2004 Monaro win the Sandown 500 one year, yeah it was modified to the hilt but it beat out GT3 Cup cars, Lambos, Ferraris and even GTR's fell in its wake, Sandown is a power track but still.

The thing is, the other Nation's Cup car competitors weren't allowed to be modified to the same extent as the Monaro, under the guise of "parity". The Monaro was running the V8 out of a C6R, which is a purpose-built endurance racing engine, with a sequential box whereas the other vehicles were basically running light/medium tune versions of street engines with the stock gearboxes.

When I saw them at Eastern Creek I remember seeing the Euro supercars doing a reasonable job around the corners keeping up with the Monaro, but then getting smashed down the main straight.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What do you want the car to do, Shane?

If you want something with a tough coupe shape with a reasonable amount of poke that'll do a pretty good job on sweeping corners, get the GTT.

If you want something that'll let your rear passengers alight without you having to get out, have the power to pin you and 3 of your mates to the backs of your seats when you're burying the boot but not feel like you've dropped a cylinder when you're part throttle at a sensible RPM, get the F6.

Personally, for a daily driven car that's the only one I own, I reckon a slusho F6 with an APS Phase II kind of ADR and EPA compliant powertrain upgrade, and coilovers/swaybars to go with a decent set of wheels, would fit the bill pretty damned well.

Something basically like this. His 1:11 at the handling-loving Wakefield Park (which is comparable to Winton, for the Victorians) on S-Comp tyres is impressive for any road car with light tune bolt-ons and a cop-deflecting stock exhaust, let alone a 1700kg sedan that apparently "can't corner".

What do you want the car to do, Shane?

If you want something that'll let your rear passengers alight without you having to get out, have the power to pin you and 3 of your mates to the backs of your seats when you're burying the boot but not feel like you've dropped a cylinder when you're part throttle at a sensible RPM, get the F6.

Thats what I want. Not for my mates, but just for the occasions (and there will be plenty) when I will need to seat passengers. I drove a Falcon AU for my first car and the four doors really make a difference. Going to the two door Skyline would frustrate me sometimes.

As for cornering - I don't plan on hairpin turns everyday. I just want something that has very good bite on the straights and can corner fairly well. There is a 350RWKW 2005 MKII F6 currently on sale for $32,000 which I am currently looking at. Also looking at a few 34 GTT's plus have an import broker on the lookout at the auctions in Japan.

PS as a result of this thread I have brought the XR6T in to the equation basically because of the reasonable power and cheaper price. Considering I havn't driven turbo or supercharged vehicles before, I do have in the back of my mind that if I buy the F6 I will get in to trouble playing with too much power. I drove a 190rwkw turbo vehicle yesterday on private property....and f*** me thats alot of power already.

FG F6 will be my new car. Cant compare a R34 and an F6... the F6 is far superior even though i have a soft spot for the R34 (hoping to buying one for my brother in a few weeks).

Its an easy choice, laps faster than an evo X at phillip island stock and way quicker than a r34 so none of this falcoons dont handle..

No NO NO.... V8's are dead.. even Ford know this the Boss has less torque and kw then the Turbo engine and the v8 is a heavier engine. Makes you wonder why they call it the Boss, it has less power then the HSV LS3. hehe had to throw that in. ow an most important fact.. More expensive REGO!!

yeah keep dreaming....the fastest drag cars in the world are v8s. nascars are v8s, v8 supercars, sprint cars v8s, V8s are here to stay and f**king cool no matter what any turbo 6 fan believes,,,when you only start your car once a week there is nothing better than that v8 rumble to your ears, yanks have v8 trucks that run quicker than euro sports cars...seriously a v8 is, has, and always will be the shit that says, i am man hear me roar..........screw rego screw petrol bills...listen to me roar....The Boss, well everyone knows thats sales pitch.....but they manage to squeeze 1200 ponies out of stangs with TT and the same engine..

The turbo 6 is a tough car, but at the end of the day. not tuff enuf..........And like i said, i dont care what the times say, cause i dont see times everyday, but i do hear that V8 ROOOAAAAARRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it sounds so good..........

FTR i did say get an SS, best bang for your buck money can buy, or even WRXs usually eat these falcons...

Edited by doozooby

Thats what I want. Not for my mates, but just for the occasions (and there will be plenty) when I will need to seat passengers. I drove a Falcon AU for my first car and the four doors really make a difference. Going to the two door Skyline would frustrate me sometimes.

As for cornering - I don't plan on hairpin turns everyday. I just want something that has very good bite on the straights and can corner fairly well. There is a 350RWKW 2005 MKII F6 currently on sale for $32,000 which I am currently looking at. Also looking at a few 34 GTT's plus have an import broker on the lookout at the auctions in Japan.

PS as a result of this thread I have brought the XR6T in to the equation basically because of the reasonable power and cheaper price. Considering I havn't driven turbo or supercharged vehicles before, I do have in the back of my mind that if I buy the F6 I will get in to trouble playing with too much power. I drove a 190rwkw turbo vehicle yesterday on private property....and f*** me thats alot of power already.

Buy the FORD...They go hard and I reckon it would suit you :)

Edited by doozooby

yeah keep dreaming....the fastest drag cars in the world are v8s. nascars are v8s, v8 supercars, sprint cars v8s, V8s are here to stay and f**king cool no matter what any turbo 6 fan believes,,,when you only start your car once a week there is nothing better than that v8 rumble to your ears, yanks have v8 trucks that run quicker than euro sports cars...seriously a v8 is, has, and always will be the shit that says, i am man hear me roar..........screw rego screw petrol bills...listen to me roar....The Boss, well everyone knows thats sales pitch.....but they manage to squeeze 1200 ponies out of stangs with TT and the same engine..

The turbo 6 is a tough car, but at the end of the day. not tuff enuf..........And like i said, i dont care what the times say, cause i dont see times everyday, but i do hear that V8 ROOOAAAAARRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it sounds so good..........

FTR i did say get an SS, best bang for your buck money can buy, or even WRXs usually eat these falcons...

dude you are smoking some good shit.....

i have 4 v8's in my possesion (including a bbc) atm so no im not biased either way but your argument is moot / invalid. yes cool but the V8's are eclipsed by cooler engines like V10 V16 V12's radials are the coolest.... best is purely in the eye of the beholder.

dude you are smoking some good shit.....

i have 4 v8's in my possesion (including a bbc) atm so no im not biased either way but your argument is moot / invalid. yes cool but the V8's are eclipsed by cooler engines like V10 V16 V12's radials are the coolest.... best is purely in the eye of the beholder.

Yeah true.... but they are all VERY expensive.....sorry but bang for buck V8s rule, the 350 chev has had more development than any engine in the world....and they are still making them

Maybe after you sink a couple of grand into the suspension. Otherwise, its still more a grand tourer than a touge weapon.

It depends on what the OP is after. If its just a street cruiser with a lot of poke, an XR6T with the same suspension mods you'd inevitably do to the Skyline would corner well enough...but pull a lot harder and be more practical.

How "professional" do you need to be to sidestep the clutch while banging the engine off the cutout?

If its anything like most of the bosses I've had over the years, it's because it makes a shitload of noise but doesn't do any meaningful work.

A non-GT-R Skyline isn't exactly some kind of ultra-fast halo model that'll make millionaires turn their heads and melt the panties off the ladies. The only people it attracts are pimply-faced youths who don't realise its missing front driveshafts, and the cops.

It's just the a car that isn't even good enough to be a taxi in its native soil, with a hairdryer on its small motor and the rear doors welded shut.

I realise only too well my car is missing a front drive shaft. One of the very reasons I purchased it actually.

If you are referring to the 2 litre powered 32 with the plastic gearbox there may well be some merit in your argument but the much maligned 33 is an entirely different animal.

With a bullet proof drive train and an rb 26 engine minus 40/50 cc's and one turbo plus a way better chassis than the 32 the whale is a brilliant platform for a modded rwd import.

With minimal outlay on suspension upgrades it can be made the equal of most euro's and literally smash the arse off any locally made offerring. You can throw suspension mods at an Xr6 till the cows come home but nothing will overcome the fact that it weighs 1800 plus kilos on a chassis that isnt in the same league as even a 15 year old skyline number.

Time at the track only bears out what I am saying, The local product can have shitloads of coin spent on it both in engine mods and the handling department but they always come up short against similarly specced imports both jap and euro awd and rwd.

I realise only too well my car is missing a front drive shaft. One of the very reasons I purchased it actually.

If you are referring to the 2 litre powered 32 with the plastic gearbox there may well be some merit in your argument but the much maligned 33 is an entirely different animal.

With a bullet proof drive train and an rb 26 engine minus 40/50 cc's and one turbo plus a way better chassis than the 32 the whale is a brilliant platform for a modded rwd import.

With minimal outlay on suspension upgrades it can be made the equal of most euro's and literally smash the arse off any locally made offerring. You can throw suspension mods at an Xr6 till the cows come home but nothing will overcome the fact that it weighs 1800 plus kilos on a chassis that isnt in the same league as even a 15 year old skyline number.

Time at the track only bears out what I am saying, The local product can have shitloads of coin spent on it both in engine mods and the handling department but they always come up short against similarly specced imports both jap and euro awd and rwd.

i think you should check out a FG's F6 lap times..... you will be shocked.

Yeah true.... but they are all VERY expensive.....sorry but bang for buck V8s rule, the 350 chev has had more development than any engine in the world....and they are still making them

i would say the opposite if you want to waste alot of money for just the sound go ahead (i do :P ) but bang for buck a turbo come will almost always come up better. i tune alot of ls1 and ls2's (smattering of modular fords 5.4) and quite a few xr6t's and the xr6s shit on the v8's for dollar per kw.

good case is the std FG f6 laps lineball with a W427 VE commodore... w427 is nearly triple the price :)

Hey look I am not biased, v8 have there place and sound good but as Trent said bung for buck turbo beats v8.

Ferrari may use v8 but which one of those cars just mentioned will beat a z tune?(Turbo 6)

And by dead I mean in the low end market and high end in the future.. I mean give it 20 years and we probably won't even use combustion engines, we won't need to

(although will miss the sound)

A small turbo engine is just 10 times more practical then a larger engine n/a car, better fuel economy but just as much power if not more when you want it.

This is just my opinion and we can all like what ever style of car, engines, bikes etc that we want just stating a few truths.

Firstly, I was referring to the R34. You know, the car mentioned in the title? 2.5L in a 1400kg is small.

Secondly, in the context of what you quoted I was just making an observation to the person who wrote off the F6 as a taxi that your cooking model Skyline isn't exactly a Radical with rear seats and rego either.

I can't think of too many 2WD turbo Skylines that will do 1:11 around Wakefield Park with a short list of bolt-ons that doesn't even include a cat-back exhaust, and S-Comp tyres?

I had a quick flick through the last few pages of the Circuit Times thread:

R33 GT-R doing 1:11 on slicks

R33 GTS-t doing 1:10 on R-Comps

R33 GTS-t doing 1:13 on R-Comps

The latter 2 are similarly "light tune" in the powertrain and suspension, but both were also running R-Comp semi slicks compared to the S-Comps on the F6 I linked to earlier. I'm not sure how the F6's 1:11 is "coming up short", especially given that Wakefield is a handling track rather than a power track.

Firstly, I was referring to the R34. You know, the car mentioned in the title? 2.5L in a 1400kg is small.

Secondly, in the context of what you quoted I was just making an observation to the person who wrote off the F6 as a taxi that your cooking model Skyline isn't exactly a Radical with rear seats and rego either.

I can't think of too many 2WD turbo Skylines that will do 1:11 around Wakefield Park with a short list of bolt-ons that doesn't even include a cat-back exhaust, and S-Comp tyres?

I had a quick flick through the last few pages of the Circuit Times thread:

R33 GT-R doing 1:11 on slicks

R33 GTS-t doing 1:10 on R-Comps

R33 GTS-t doing 1:13 on R-Comps

The latter 2 are similarly "light tune" in the powertrain and suspension, but both were also running R-Comp semi slicks compared to the S-Comps on the F6 I linked to earlier. I'm not sure how the F6's 1:11 is "coming up short", especially given that Wakefield is a handling track rather than a power track.

Light tune is a bit of an understatement dont you think. 160 something kw's as opposed just over 300 kw's in the ford. :P

knock a couple of seconds off for the semi's and even that underpowered slug is still within a gnats cock of the ford.

The skyline can be put together in that guise for around 10/12 kay including the purchase price of the vehicle. That leaves an awful lot of loose change to bring it up to the power to weight ratio of the Henry, Any way I look at this there is no value in the ford from a performance point of view.

I am planning to be down at Wakie in the first 1/4 of this year in my lowly gtst, I hope there are some fords to play with.

v8 are dead?

maybe someone should tell that to ferrari? 360, f430. f430 suderia and the new 458 are all v8

AMG Mercedes (C63, E55, E63, CLK63, SL63, The list goes on)

Audi (RS4, R8, S4)

BMW (M3, 750i,550i,650i)

Chevy Corvette ZR1 (Yes I know its supercharged) anyone who says that car is slow or doesnt handle is just plain wrong, its cheaper in the states than a GTR and will actually beat it around it around the Nurburgring

V8's are where performance cars are currently at and will be for quite some time. Yes Aussie and American V8 are big and stupid and dont make the power a european V8 but they can still be weapons none the less. I dont know if you've seen the Maloo and The Vauxhall badged Clubby R8 go around the Top gear test track but the pulled out some very impressive times only tenths of a second off fully fledged 200k+ cars like the current M5, 997 Carrera S.

True Story...

A typhoon over took us coming off the on ramp onto a quiet freeway so we tailed him, It had a big exhaust and a middle aged bloke behind the wheel ,there was 2 blokes and a big dog in our car. We hear a huge howl and he starts moving, so we tailed him in a 33 which has basically an exhaust and 11psi, so nothing special .Lets just say that he couldnt shake us, and we actually started to overtake him when, at 5500rpm in 5th gear, the power died suddenly, not sure if it was fuelcut or something(can anyone answer this??), we also nailed him through some roundabouts...After seeing this i decided to buy the 33... ;) ..

The typhoon is great car on paper and pretty damn good on the black stuff too, but the coupla people ive known with unmodded xr6t have had problems..no doubt due to floggin the ring off em...

Skylines seem to be more reliable and can cop more of a hiding..

If your sensible and not going to flog it silly, the ford would be fine and has alot of potential if you wish to mod it

It is also more comfortable if your a large fella and easier to get girls in the back

haha what a thread...

if you have to ask that question, then go with the ford. Simple as that.

What do you want to know, the ford is faster - thats pretty obvious. actually, its a LOT faster...

The thing is, its still a ford. And thats why I say "if you have to ask" - because comparing a ford family car (that goes a bit faster and has better suspension than the base model) with a nissan turbo sports coupe is just silly. They are for completely different purposes. The GTT will be more fun, but the F6 may well be more practical. Its unlikely you'll get both in the one car.

A better option could be a 32 or 33 GTR. That way you'll be able to spend whatever on power and be guaranteed the power will find its way to the ground.

Dont bother going for more power in the ford, the wheels will just spin more.

If you're just after an all-round "nice" car that has a bit (ie. a lot) of go when you want it, get the ford. The skyline is a very different car for a very different type of person.

I'll put it another way: your passengers will get a better ride in the ford, but you'll have a better (ie. more involving/fun) drive in the skyline ;)

just my opinion. i've only been driven IN an F6 so take it with a pinch of salt. They are a very nice car as far as features go. very comfortable too. But they're not a sports car.