SAU Community

My Skyline - Stolen!!!!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mack.. I just called famous classic as I was adding someone to my policy. They said if the person is older than me its not an issue, I just supply them some details and walla the car is covered for them too.

If you could insure the car under someone elses name and then anyone could drive it the polcies would be twice as much! They are doing you a favour by giving you insurance.

Thats good to hear then.. Famous have always been friendly and well priced, and thats why im with them. Hopefully i wont have to make a claim through them..

But i think i didnt explain myself well in my comments and they were a bit misunderstood..

cheers for clearing it up for us Carlo!

Congrats Harun, this all smells a bit fishy though?

you cannot hand your keys over to anyone unless they are named on your policy and or are an automotive repairer.

My new boss called me while I was on site in his car today and asked if I left my keys behind for the skyline I said yes but no one can drive it because they are not covered.

He wanted to let the 20 yo trainee to drive it to a job and I had to say no, that sucked, but that's the way it is.

Good to hear u got it back, and it doesnt seem like it has been fingered...

How silly was the bloke who stole it? He went from slacks ck to wynumm and then back to kingston (back past the other way from where he stole it for ppl who dont know bris..).

Does the car feel dirty, i would be so iffy about that, i would clean it about 5 times, just to get the scum vibes out of the car hehe...

hope all is well... i am with famous myself and i might have a read of the policy sometime to see how it is covered when i hand the keys to someone - it has to be in there... bottom line....

That is F*&cking good news, you getting your car back and that they caught the P*&cks who took it.

I wonder how many people are insured with Famous on this forum? (i am one of them) It would be good to get numbers...

If anybody gets d**cked by them (I not saying thats going to happen or has happened :-})

I am sure the majority of the members here would like to know about why so we can all avoid the same issues...

I dunno, but even if it is not in the policy directly, there is always a clause about 'duty of care'. By handing your keys to someone else, that is directly increasing the risk of theft, as it is now relying on that person to be responsible for your cars security. Not exactly similar, but kinda like letting someone else drive your car. The risk is that the other person could be anyone. They are not questioned, as the owner is, when opening the policy, about previous insurance, driving and criminal history.

It is similar to with home insurance, whereby leaving the front door unlocked, 'if proven' can make your policy null and void.

An example is on a much smaller scale, but when I was studying I used to sell mobile phones. We used to offer insurance..... had many many arguements from customers over the years and witnessed them with the customer speaking to the insurancecompany, when they would have claims rejected because they didnt take 'necessary actions to reduce the risk of theft'. There was a stage there, when people were sitting at tables on footpaths outside cafes, and people were riding past on roller blades and snatching phones off the table. Also many cases where the customer had left phone on seat of car, or in a car kit cradle, and as it was in full view, they would not be covered.

It was annoying to see, as many honest people were denied insurance, and it wasnt their fault. When on the other hand we would see people coming in, sometimes a few times, doing 'insurance jobs', with us knowing that they were doing dodgy insurance claims, but because they knew the right thing to say, they got approved straight away.

Hey, Im not having a go at you RNS11z, but this is how I interpret Famous' response... again, as stated, we havent got all the details, but this is prob where they are coming from.

Anyhow, Im glad you got your car back unharmed, you were very lucky, especially with those mods and times.

Will

True,

but they only charge what they have to, to cover risky cars and risky drivers. An average 30 year old is a hell of a lot more likely to drive round safely in a camry when after a small incident may be repaired in 3 days for $1500. Whereas a 19year old with a moded up skyline, will no doubt have more chance of a crash, but then may take 6 weeks to get his 400R front bar, pearl paint, damaged front mount imported and finished for bout $4000. But as usual, all us honest people who drive safely will be affected by the few that do not. But thats life...

Hey im not saying to lie to insurance companies, because their initial job is more so 'not' to pay the claim if they can, so they will investigate the incident. If you lie then it can put you in a worse situation down the track as it will effect your policy now, and other policies if you have history of refused claims.

My point was just to look at the whole situation, and was mainly due to people having a go at famous, but from the little information that we have, I dont think that famous can be given a bad reputation because of this particular incident. Obviously people on this forum are all waiting for some claims to be paid by Famous to confirm that the policies are sweet, but I dont think this can go down as a unfair, unpaid claim based on the circumstances.

Will

Dont worry Ive paid over $3000 per year with a $3500 excess, so insurance companies are C&%ts to me too, but I was only trying to make a point from their perspective

Ok, let me clear a few things up here. In regards to Insurance costs, service and help with my claim from Famous Classic Car Insurance's, it was done professionaly and couldnt be better. Unfortunately in the contract there is a few loop wholes one of which my theft fell under. I did not in no form or way hand over the keys to a theif nor was there any damage done to the car during the theft. As Gizmo73 mentioned, there are a couple of examples which may/ can refuse your insurance company to pay you out.

I can not state the exact way my car got stolen but if you can peice the puzzle then it will frighten many performance vehicle owners who leave there vehicles over night at the spray painter, pannel beater, mechanic, tyre shop, valet parking and etc.

The guy who stole my car haS not been caught yet those his accomplasses have. They wont go to jail though they will be charged.

will post more then i have time as i dont have regular use with the internet any more.

Harun

Thanks heaps for the update Harun - and congrats on getting your car back

I have been reading through every page of this thread and it has been interesting to see how many people are now alarmed because of issues with Famous Cars (I am one of them). But as Ben has rightly asked, no-one as yet has owned up to having made a claim about a total loss with Famous.