SAU Community

Rb26 Into A Vs Commodore

Hey there,

Im looking for some advice. I have a VS Commodore which i no longer drive anymore and im looking seriously at putting an RB26DETT into it. For the time being i would want it to be pretty close to stock with a manual gearbox. My main questions are:

1. What will i need other than a front cut?

2. I have seen an RB25 in VS, is there much difference?

3. Who would be a reputable workshop to do this type of work?

Thanks for your help.

1. custom engine mounts, crossmember, gearbox mount, tailshaft, upgraded diff, suspension, brakes, wiring IE Everything on a commodore.

2. yes. alot of difference. Not in the way they go in, internally.

3. I wouldnt undertake this sort of project unless I could do most work myself. (welding, etc) Why? because its simply not economical to pay someone to do the work. That and its not rocket science.

Edited by Flipmo

Given a LS1 weights about the same, has more torque and will easily make good power...

Why not just go down that route especially considering you are paying a workshop.

If it was a DIY on weekends then fair enough, but paying workshop rates you should go the cheaper labour option...

School holidays thread?? hmmm :)

Anyways if your chasing power and your currently driving the V6 do a V8 conversion, you can buy entire donor cars for as little as $1500 a couple of weekends later you have yourself a V8 commodore and you might even be able to break even if you part out the donor car on ebay. Getting that approved is a piece of piss compared with engineering a LS1 or a RB26. And if you really want massive amounts of power for an extra 5-7.5k you can get an ADR approved supercharger kit and be cranking out 230kw+ at the wheels. All legal no worries for less than 10k if you do the work yourself. Compared with an RB26 conversion its a bargain.

mate, if you go through with the conversion, let it be for only one reason:

to piss off all the one eyed skyline nut swingers :D

*pleasedontbanmekthnxbye*

mate, if you go through with the conversion, let it be for only one reason:

to piss off all the one eyed skyline nut swingers :)

*pleasedontbanmekthnxbye*

+1

i've seen a 33 front bar on a commodore. brought a smile to my face. also the ease of fitting meant that a hsv front bar could be fitted to a 33. makes me wish i still had my 33 so i could put a commodore front bar on it to piss off all the people who think that skylines are the best car ever made, LOL.

lol @ all the Commodore hate on here. Sometimes you lot are worse than the bogans who scream out riceboy everytime they see an import...

Anyway, these projects are usually undertaken by A.) people with too much money and not enough possessions, B.) people who know how to do most of the work themselves, or C.) idiots. If you're not one of these then don't do it...

Bolt on supercharger/turbocharger kit for the win, LS conversion for the win, smaller displacement high revving engine for the loss (of money).