SAU Community

Track Tires From Tyre Rack

Roy

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been enquiring about bringing over some Nitto NT-01s through Price USA from Discount Tire Direct. NT-01s are the same compound as Toyo R888s with a more aggressive pattern. They work out at $280 ea posted in a 255/40/17 which is the same price as Federal RSRs here.

I've been enquiring about bringing over some Nitto NT-01s through Price USA from Discount Tire Direct. NT-01s are the same compound as Toyo R888s with a more aggressive pattern. They work out at $280 ea posted in a 255/40/17 which is the same price as Federal RSRs here.

If the NT-01's perform anything like the R888, you're probably better off with the Federal RSR IMO.

I had a set or R888s on the 180SX. They were the worst performing semi I've ever used. By a country mile.

Edited by hrd-hr30

I had a set or R888s on the 180SX. They were the worst performing semi I've ever used. By a country mile.

what where you using them for? and what was the problem you had with them? Were they new ones or used?

They are the grippiest tyre I have ever used.... however I was using them for motorkhana on concrete on a 1200kg car. My only complaint was they had too much traction - I could not throw the front end a full 180 deg with them on. They had a lot more traction that my Federal RS's - I haven't tried RSR's yet, hopefully they are a bit softer and have more grip from cold.

My understanding is if you are doing circuit work with them it needs to be light (or 'over tired') car, otherwise they get too hot and go off. For short sprints, hill climbs etc they seem to work very well.

Edited by samstain

what where you using them for? and what was the problem you had with them? Were they new ones or used?

They are the grippiest tyre I have ever used.... however I was using them for motorkhana on concrete on a 1200kg car. My only complaint was they had too much traction - I could not throw the front end a full 180 deg with them on. They had a lot more traction that my Federal RS's - I haven't tried RSR's yet, hopefully they are a bit softer and have more grip from cold.

My understanding is if you are doing circuit work with them it needs to be light (or 'over tired') car, otherwise they get too hot and go off. For short sprints, hill climbs etc they seem to work very well.

grippiest tyre compared to what though? have you tried A050s or DZ03G or RE55s? comparing them to federal RS of course they will be better. they should be better than the RSRs too. but for a supposed proper semi they underperform pretty badly. for instance on an R35 GTR which was the last time I used a set they were slower around oran park (RIP) than the standard dunlop high performance road tyres.

No I haven't tried the A050s or DZ03G or RE55s, but I would expect a GG r888 to be gripper than a RSR - especially from cold - to say the 888 is 'the worst performing semi' and not as good as a RSR is a bit out there I would have though without a bit of background on where it was being used.

It depends what you are using them for and the power/weight/tyre size it has...

Fair enough 888's on a high power GTR doing multiple circuit laps are probably going to over heat and go off unless driven very accuratally, however if its a light or underpowered car they can work very well. Likewise if your doing hill climbs and autocross type events they come on very early where as and RSR can take at least a few hard corners to come on - at motorkhana the only time I really got the federals to perform was when my brother was sharing the car with me (2 spots up the queue) and it was a +30deg day.

I had a brand new set of 225/50r16 888's on my S14 for a while and the traction was unbelievable - with careful throttle control it would launch as hard as my brothers 99sti, where as even when new, the RS's were no better than a good road tyre when cold (hopefull the RSR's are slightly better).

anyway, im in the market for new tyres at the moment - tirerack do not do anything suitable for what I want (unless I change to 16" rims in which case I can get AO48's), what other online stores do resonable postage to aus? or has anyone had any luck with forwarding services?

Also, how have people gone with build dates - perhaps in the states turn over is large enough that is isn't a problem, but I'd hate to get supplied 4-5 year old tyres such as what often comes up on ebay in aus.

Edited by samstain

the point is, RSR is not a semi slick, and Toyo 888 is. The Toyo should be significantly faster than RSR, especially if you are using the soft compound.

Federal's semi slick is FZ201.

yep and he was comparing them to the RS which is another step below the RSR. the RS is just a road tyre with the RSR being the kind of 'cross over' high performance road/almost a semi slick type tyre.

either way of the proper semi slicks out there the R888 is way down the list. yes on light cars around 1000kg they perform fairly well but we are talking TRACK (circuit) tyres for skylines (1300kg-1600kg) with anywhere from 250hp to 800hp. the 888s are just not suitable.

I don't know of anyone having trouble with old stock from tyre rack. they are pretty reputable. but you're right, you need to watch out for people shifting 4 or 5 year old tyres as 'new' simply because they haven't been used yet.

The RS is just a road tyre with the RSR being the kind of 'cross over' high performance road/almost a semi slick type tyre.

The only differnece between the 2 is a slightly softer compond (180 V's 140 tread wear from memory) and a slightly stiffer sidewall on the RSR - that and the fact that the RS's are no longer made as far as I am aware, they were superseeded by the RSR a couple years ago. You might be thinking of the SS for thier 'just a road tyre'.

Edited by samstain

• 2 weeks later...

Has anybody tried the federal semis?

I;ve been running a set on the race car and they have been very good. hard to tell if they are better than the dunlop without back to back testing on the same day on new tyres....but I'm happy enough (especially since the price is sensible) that I will keep using them.

they are not generally available yet, hopefully they will be sooner rather than later!

like i said, I haven't run them back to back with the dunlops...

I have run the Federal Hards back to back with the Kumho Mediums, they were 0.3 sec slower at Morgan Park (1.20min lap).....very good result against one of the best softer tyres IMHO

• 2 weeks later...

Friend of mine just got a tirerack order today and he's a bit disappointed that the tyres he's received are 3 years old.

Perhaps that's something that people can ask if they are ordering.

3 years sounds like the edge of acceptable to me. I would be very unhappy if they are track tyres, roadies are probably ok for 3-5 years.

in practice, the amount of light and heat where they are stored are more important than time, but you obviously don't know how they were stored.

and with track tyres, the number of heat cycles (times you have raced on them) is more important than time or storage

The more tyres people buy from the US, the more expensive tyres in Australia will get. You need to support the Australian official importers of the tyres because the more they buy from Japan, the cheaper they can get them for which is why they are cheaper in the US. The more you buy from the US, the cheaper US prices will get in comparison to Australian prices. I really wish stoogebags would stop doing this.