SAU Community

Iphone 4 - Anyone Taken The Plunge?

Beer Baron

so anyone grabbed a new iphone yet? I've had the 3g and I upgraded to the 3GS when it came out. It was a big improvement over the 3g that's for sure. the new one looks pretty cool. I'm supposed to be picking mine up tonight. :)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well I had a play the other day and I'm pretty impressed with the screen resolution. it's easily as good as the HTC desire which till now was the most impressive screen. also the 5mp camera with flash and HD video is very welcome as is the same processor as used in the ipad. it's a pretty good piece of gear and apparently the signal problems experienced in the just aren't an issue here in aus.

the main reason i'm keen to get one right now is my 3GS is playing up a bit now and having been dropped many times is looking a bit tatty too.

if the signal issues do turn out to be specific to the US, ill probably end up upgrading from my 3gs. Although its a great all rounder, as far as actually being a phone is concerned, ive always been pretty disappointed in the iphone so far. hopefully number 4 is a big improvement.

The Desire does not have the most impressive screen in the HTC lineup - that is the HD2's calling.

Friend of mine picked one up today

I'll await his report as he has a HTC HD2, for 8 months or so (same as i do), infact 6 mates of mine all have HD2's :)

Lets see if a backwards step is worth the hype!

The Desire does not have the most impressive screen in the HTC lineup - that is the HD2's calling.

Friend of mine picked one up today

I'll await his report as he has a HTC HD2, for 8 months or so (same as i do), infact 6 mates of mine all have HD2's :)

Lets see if a backwards step is worth the hype!

I would argue that point. I got an HD2 through work and gave it back after 2 days. I just can't go back to a winmo. the screen on it is fantastic but for clarity and 'vibrancy' the AMOLED(?) screen on the desire has it beat in my opinion. I would think twice about the HD2. it's certainly a very powerful smartphone and I had it on telstra and with nextg the net speeds were impressively fast for a phone but being stuck in winmo means it's a bit clunky to use.

if you can compare the desire and the HD2 display side by side. I seriously rate the desire's display over HD2 (and HD2 was the phone I was looking forward to most). but now I think the iphone 4 display takes the cake. it's pretty impressive.

I bet you were using the Telstra ROM - they are fken appalingly slow :D

You can get a 50% performance increase easily just by updating off Telstra's factory crap - no different to JB'ing and iPhone!

Few of the boys @ work have Desire's as well, both as good as each other for what i use :)

I've ordered an iPhone 4

but only cause I just got insurance money for my last phone and I like the browsing on the iPhones as well as the way the UI is. Ive had a play with one and they are faster then the 3GS and have a few nice new features like the camera, screen etc. But overall there pretty similar to the 3GS. As for signal loss... Well i cant really say it was a great test but I had a play with it with my finger over the 'special area' and tried browsing etc and it seemed fine.

But hey, maybe in the real world its not as clear cut

Anyway, my iPhone 4 is costing me $30 with my insurance so cant complain with a $30 iPhone 4 :)

There is nothing new to the iPhone that makes me want to buy it. They're releasing features that other phones have, the only thing they've got going for them is their App Store and Developer base.

The only real iPhone killer is Googles Android, and even that's not looking too promising. The Mameo or whatever it's called is a f**king amazing platform, but it's aimed at the nerds and not the general public. It's running an OpenSource styled development community by the looks of things, so updates and fixes are quick but you're not going to get lulzy games like AngryBirds or WeRule on it.

In summary; not worth it.

Edited by SKITTLES

I have been playing around with my girlfriends iphone 4 all week. She put her name down at a Vodafone store two days before release, signed up online, and it was sitting on her desk when she showed up to work on friday morning, I don't know why people were saying they were hard to get or why you would bother lining up in the cold on thursday night.

I wasn't an apple fanboy before, I have never owned an ipod let alone anything apple, I had my mind set on a HTC desire or HD2 when my contract runs out at the end of september, but after playing with both of them side by side I am 99% sold on the apple.

We were experimenting taking low light photos with both on sunday night side by side, the photos that were coming out of the Desire were rubbish with/without flash, iphone 4 with backlit sensor worked beautifully, as good as most point & shoot cameras.

Noise cancellation on the iphone works a treat, and the HD screen is beautiful to use, no smudges and really bright in all light conditions/angles. I probably couldn't see the value ugrading from the 3GS if i already had one but I would be struggling to find a good reason to buy an android now after using both.

As far as reception is concerned, yes its drops a bar depending on how u hold it, but I don't spend a heap of time talking on the phone and after its in a 1mm think case from Incipio.com the phone hasn't dropped out once, and doesn't feel too bulky.

I just want a phone with usable internet/maps .....................................and angry birds. Not too concerned bout 'killer apps' or having an open platform, I would much prefer to just pay for stuff & have it work perfectly instead of having to 'mod' it to get it to work the pay I want. I got too much other crap that I have to tinker with (ie, car).

My early adopter mate who is also a tech junkie bought his HTC desire two months ago, after playing with the iphone 4 he almost threw it against the wall. That kinda sold it for me.

iPhone 4 is useless man the new samsung galaxy has the best screen atm followed by HTC desire, I have had iphone 3g since release was going to get the iphone 4 but when I saw it in person wasnt impressed at all, felt like a brick screen nothing to amazing and processor speed is nothing that we haven't seen from the snapdragon 1ghz.

i hate apple and macs.. but i still think iphone is the best phone out the specs might not be the best but general user friendly-ness and the GUI / Apps / support is great

i hate apple and macs.. but i still think iphone is the best phone out the specs might not be the best but general user friendly-ness and the GUI / Apps / support is great

In the same boat as you although i reckon the samsung galaxy S has a decent chance but still leaning towards the iphone 4 even though it costs a bit more

I bet you were using the Telstra ROM - they are fken appalingly slow ;)

You can get a 50% performance increase easily just by updating off Telstra's factory crap - no different to JB'ing and iPhone!

Few of the boys @ work have Desire's as well, both as good as each other for what i use :P

Huge difference...it's your fault if you brick the phone, HTC aren't going to do it to you later.

well I went and got one on saturday. not much different to my old 3GS but I must say I do like the look of the 4 better, I do appreciate the improved camera (and it's greatly improved in shutter lag, picture quality, video quality, now has zoom, now has flash and now has front camera), I also like the improved screen resolution and quality and speed wise it's definitely snappier.

I'm in the same position. I am also a bit anti-apple but the iphone to me is the best current smart phone in that it combines a great mp3 player with super easy to use features like email, internet, good camera, lots of great apps etc. it's a winner. love the ipad too.

Huge difference...it's your fault if you brick the phone, HTC aren't going to do it to you later.

It's imposible to brick it. :woot:

I update mine probably once every 2-4 weeks depending on features/updates and similar.

Most "normal" people would probably only need to do it once every 6 months.

Not a big diff in my book.

well I went and got one on saturday.

I don't understand how some people can walk in and pick them up.

I've been waiting for my "rain checked" one since release date.

I'm getting pissed off.