SAU Community

Silverstone, Ring, Monza And Spa In 8 Days

Roy

Ok, so after Milan and the GP we had to get a flight to Dusseldorf where we stopped for dinner. After a rather heavy dinner of pork, cabbage an potato we were fuelled up for the short drive to Spa. We headed off at dusk...

med_gallery_462_50_144251.jpg

Where we arrived at the hotel well after dark. So expecting big things from the next day we called it a night and crashed...

med_gallery_462_50_99916.jpg

Waking up in the morning the first thing I did was check the weather. Whilst it wasnt raining it didnt look great. Plenty of cloud cover meant there was little drying and could be pretty sure that many of the laps were going to be in the wet

med_gallery_462_50_102938.jpg

Heading off to the track in the morning in the hired Race Car Fiesta it would have been hard to get lost getting to the circuit...

med_gallery_462_50_414503.jpg

When we arrived at the track we were met with the usual abundance of GT3s and GT2s, surprisingly few Radicals. A few Astons, another Carrera GT (different from the one at Silverstone) and a white and yellow Z06 Vette which gave me serious wood. But of course, it seems it just isnt a European track day without the usual pit full of transporters...

med_gallery_462_50_127526.jpg

med_gallery_462_50_101157.jpg

med_gallery_462_50_88393.jpg

med_gallery_462_50_280502.jpg

med_gallery_462_50_240218.jpg

The car park was also full of cool cars, some were transport to the track, some were actually lapped, but they all looked cool with the Spa circuit as the back drop. (I am a geek and deadset it felt amazing just again standing in the Spa pits for the second year in a row)

med_gallery_462_50_123593.jpg

med_gallery_462_50_128313.jpg

med_gallery_462_50_86477.jpg

med_gallery_462_50_166810.jpg

med_gallery_462_50_27396.jpg

Edited by Roy

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So whilst waiting for our Lotus to turn up, we took a stroll around the pit complex and found some more awesome machinery. It was almost a shame that we were going to busy pedalling the Exige as it would have been great to go and sit out on track and look at these big dollar cars being driven. I have to say I have now driven a fair few track days, in Australia, UK, Nurburgring and Belgium....and this day had the highest standard of driving of any I attended. Sadly this day was not going to bag stories of overtaking uber cars...but instead will be remembered for being blown away by good cars and good drivers ! :)

It was not a day where cashed up guys just pottering around (well with the exception of one particular GT3) It was great to see good cars being driven to their potential. In the morning the conditions were very difficult and there were no crahes, breakages...and they were going quick in the damp! The day was heavily attended by German, Swedes, English and there was even plenty of Aussie accents around the place.

A car that catches my eye each time are the GT4 Astons, which seem to be common no matter what track you are at...

med_gallery_462_50_168033.jpg

These boys were all mates, and when the gaggle of GT3/GT2, Gallardos and Carrera GT came up on you, they were typically all bumper to bumper with one another having a play.

med_gallery_462_50_86418.jpg

med_gallery_462_50_92728.jpg

med_gallery_462_50_202854.jpg

med_gallery_462_50_133267.jpg

Was also good to see another Seat Touring Car having shared the track with a red one at Silverstone

med_gallery_462_50_294622.jpg

Edited by Roy

And then our bus finally turned up.... 2010 Lotus Exige 240. Completely std with the exception of it having a spare set of rims with AO48s in case it dried out...

med_gallery_462_50_11109.jpg

med_gallery_462_50_170912.jpg

med_gallery_462_50_60627.jpg

...and I was loving it...until i saw the Lotus 2-Eleven and Exige Cup 260 turn up...

med_gallery_462_50_295447.jpg

The Exige Cup 260 is caged up, runs the same AO48s, has re-worked adjustable suspension and shocks, more power and a little lighter.... a far sharper tool and had me wishing I had ponied up the extra cash and booked it.

med_gallery_462_50_262607.jpg

The first session was wet so Baron and I partnered up and I did 3 laps just to see how slippery it was and give Baron a look at the track. After that we were told that we had to share 5 sessions on the day, which meant it was going to be near impossible to get good running. Especially since the car was late getting to the track...but...thankfully my next session was just about dry and after which the track was given the all clear to go to semis.

This is my session on the stree tyres in the 95% dry track

After which Baron was lucky enough to get these....and he gave them a good workout too :)

med_gallery_462_50_134558.jpg

Edited by Roy

Yeh, I was typically the slow one....but even still there were a few cars that could have read the traffic better. All it takes is a small lift well before the braking area and the quicker cars will clear you leaving everybody space in the braking area and at the corner apex.... leaving everyone able to get on with having their fun with only the smallest of compromises to lap times.

That GT3 driver needs his testicle removed through his nose. This happened to me at Phillip island a few months ago I was ropeable after 5 laps behind him. It felt like Murder was warranted.

Love the video Roy. Thanks for putting it up. Makes me feel like I should have been there. :D:)

troy is modest, he was fairly hauling in the dry and pretty conservative in the wet with the 35K eu excess hanging over our heads (only covers your own car too).

awesome few days. Im in venice atm and short on time but will add some more bullshit about how awesome i was later on...

I'm simply staggered by the insurance excess..... what's a new one worth?

Could you theoretically purchase one, drive it around, and sell it for about the same outlay as hiring it?

Thinking the same thing really, Between two aswell wouldn't be such a bad deal with all the costs halved.

Of course, there is all the organising and running around this would involve not to mention having to resell.

Yeah, but the Baron, she's loaded with heaps of time on her hands..... and Briz, well, he'd just have to be flush too after doing the hard yards in India. :blink:

Shoulda just bought a Gallardo and shipped it back for compliance. :)

Yep that's exactly our thought. Buy an e36 m3 put a set of semis on it and use that and sell at the end. Shouldn't cost more than 2 or 3k euro and you could do a few track days and drive it everywhere in between. Exige is a big outlay thoug.

The exige was awesome. Great car. Even with the supercharged 240hp don I still reckon it could easily use at least 50hp more. By the last session we could hang with some pretty serious cars which is not bad at such a fast circuit like spa.

I wish i was doing well out of India. But the time tax man in two countries rapes me....exhange rate farks me from earning Singapore dollars not Aussie dollars...only good thing about India was my living costs were pretty low :down:

It was always my intention to buy a track car for Europe. With the 4 days at the Ring, 3 days at Spa and a day at Silverstone I could have bought a decent thing by now...the problem is maintaining the cars, putting petrol in them, storing them. Trust me, I have thought about it, have even looked at an E36 about 6 months ago. But the hire car makes it so easy to jsut arrive and drive and enjoy. No cost for tyres, brakes and generally fuel.

The excess is high, but it needs to be to be sure the level head stays on..... If my sister or mates living in the UK were car people then I would have bought something by now and left it with them. But they are clueless ad complain when i offer to give them a car to enjoy and garage...so god hekp me if i asked them to seel a car on my behalf when the time came....dont worry fellas. I am still hopeful something will pop up before Xmas and it will mean you can hire a silver R32 for SPA, Ring, Zolder etc :( but not your Fatz :(

Edited by Roy