SAU Community

Filling The 6 Sp Getrag

Darren83

Hi Guys,

I know the getrag have been covered quite extensively, but so far i have not come across any threads that i can find on the issue.

Went to my mech to top up additional RP Synchromax of 1 ltre from the side ( the gearbox itself) as previously the supplier ran out of RP.

Driven the car for about 30 mins from my place to the workshop, mech jacks the car up and loosens the drain plug. He is absolutely surprised as to why the oil is draining out as previously he only filled in 1 litre in and it should not be draining out as the level of oil is only half ( He put his finger in and felt its half full)

As he previously have seen the GETRAG boxes opened up, he realized there is a connecting hole from the transfer case to the gearbox. Ie anything more than 2 litre that is filled from the gearstick, excesses will be flowed into the gearbox section.

Im just wondering if this is true ,and if anyone has completely drained all oils ( from transfer case and gearbox) and fill the full 4 ltrs of oil straigt into the gearstick. It was abit notchy before i reached there, but once the full 4 litres is filled in from the gearstick, i do realize gear change is very smooth.

Any similar experiences from you guys?

Thanks

i didnt know the gearbox shared the same oil, r34gtr i worked on recently has seperate fills. redline yellow in the box and redline aft in the transfer.....

the fact that both oils are probably red in your car, you could have no oil in the box.... and way to much in the transfer.

i didnt know the gearbox shared the same oil, r34gtr i worked on recently has seperate fills. redline yellow in the box and redline aft in the transfer.....

the fact that both oils are probably red in your car, you could have no oil in the box.... and way to much in the transfer.

Yeap, they share the same oil, to add to that, when we drain the oil from both gearbox and transfer case, they both had the exact same color and oil thickness(very subjective though). And yes the colors are red from factory.

If (currently) there is absolutely no oil in the gearbox, should i be experiencing a very notchy feeling?

Didnt fill in any oil from the side, all 4 litres is filled from gearstick, the connector hole will overflow the excess to the gearbox.

You 100% sure about that? the transfer should have auto-transmission fluid in it..

The transfer is using an ATF specification fluid, ie the RP Synchromax.

Just need to know if, filling via the gearstick really does overflow to the box and will overflow the right quantity.

You do realize, when you are filling through the gearstick with a GTR, you are filling the transfer case, not the gearbox as what would happen with a RWD skyline?

Also the notchyness can be attributed to not using the proper fluid for the Getrag box as it expects ATF fluid (V160 from Toyota, same as what used in the Supra's 6 speed Getrag) not a gear oil.

You do realize, when you are filling through the gearstick with a GTR, you are filling the transfer case, not the gearbox as what would happen with a RWD skyline?

Also the notchyness can be attributed to not using the proper fluid for the Getrag box as it expects ATF fluid (V160 from Toyota, same as what used in the Supra's 6 speed Getrag) not a gear oil.

Yes, i realize im filling the transfer case, and im sure the fluid is proper (RP Synchromax) and the notchiness is only prior to the oil change.

After the change, its smooth and alot better.

However, the issue to note here is if by filling the full 4 ltres in the gearstick, will that 2 litres be flowing over to the gearbox, as the mechanic have sworn when he opened up the gearbox, there is a connector hole between the transfer case and gearbox,

as already stated when filling through the shifter you are filling the transfer. there should be a seperate fill and drain for the box.

Yes, i realize im filling the transfer case, and im sure the fluid is proper (RP Synchromax) and the notchiness is only prior to the oil change.

After the change, its smooth and alot better.

However, the issue to note here is if by filling the full 4 ltres in the gearstick, will that 2 litres be flowing over to the gearbox, as the mechanic have sworn when he opened up the gearbox, there is a connector hole between the transfer case and gearbox,

just had the transfer case off the R32 GTR and it's completely sealed from the gearbox. There is a hole in the back of the box but it goes into the space between the box and the transfer case where the g'box oil lubricates the driveshaft connection in to the transfer case oil pump. This space is still sealed from the transfer case itself.

Here's a pic of the plate that separates the case from the box. The top hole has a seal and is for the striking rod, the one below has the oil pump for the transfer on the other side and the driveshaft from the box goes in here, the other is for the front drive shaft.

hope this helps

post-48345-1284585498_thumb.jpg

This is however a Getrag - different to our R32 / R33 5-speeds.

Seeing that is uses ATF instead in the gearbox instead of gear oil it is conceivable that the Getrag has a connection between the two.

Maybe PM someone like Snowman - I know he has dealt with the 6-speeds.

maybe the seals on one of those connecting holes is blown.

btw why did a "mechanic" put more than 2l of oil in a transfer case?

Thanks for the reply guys, when the mech tried to add in more oil at the side, (via the fill plug) oil is already leaking out, his explanation is that it shouldnt as previously when he opened the fill plug, the oil is still below the mark, it shouldnt leak out.

He put more than 2l of oil in the transfer case because he is under the impression that the oil will flow into the gearbox once the transfer is full.

He put more than 2l of oil in the transfer case because he is under the impression that the oil will flow into the gearbox once the transfer is full.

i think you'd want to know that he's absolutely 100% certain about these things, rather than "under the impression"