SAU Community

Front Strut Brace ..does It Actually Do Anything?

Was always wondering what it's actually for ... I assumed to provide some sort of rigidity and I suppose it is. But reading some comments on a commo forum just before made me wonder if they're actually of any use or just add 10kg of dead weight to an already heavy front end.

One comment that made me lol was "its about as useful as an ejection seat on a helicopter" referring to the standard braces you see (factory options usually) that just tie the 2 strut towers together.

Actually the reason I've been contemplating getting rid of mine is because I used to have some rust around the strut towers that was removed and repainted about a year ago .. but has now returned. I'm thinking maybe the brace is somehow forcing the struts to 'bend' during cornerning in a way that opens up gaps and allows moisture to get trapped from below (or maybe the panel beater who fixed the rust just did a shit job)

Was always wondering what it's actually for ... I assumed to provide some sort of rigidity and I suppose it is. But reading some comments on a commo forum just before made me wonder if they're actually of any use or just add 10kg of dead weight to an already heavy front end.

One comment that made me lol was "its about as useful as an ejection seat on a helicopter" referring to the standard braces you see (factory options usually) that just tie the 2 strut towers together.

The commo fellas must have did a lot of research and development for that one... LOL!

Actually the reason I've been contemplating getting rid of mine is because I used to have some rust around the strut towers that was removed and repainted about a year ago .. but has now returned. I'm thinking maybe the brace is somehow forcing the struts to 'bend' during cornerning in a way that opens up gaps and allows moisture to get trapped from below (or maybe the panel beater who fixed the rust just did a shit job)

If your strut tower can "bend" that easily during cornering, your car would have fallen apart long time ago...

Probably just a shit panel beating job...

My understanding for a strut brace, is that they lock the strut towers into it's maximum stability point making the set up stiffer = More rigid = Better handling...

If it came from factory, I'd leave it.

:down:

From Whiteline:

"Chassis bracing maintains alignment angles and spring rates by greatly reducing body or chassis flex. In fact, it helps every component in the suspension system do its job properly and you can feel the difference through improved turn-in, sharper steering response along with greater steering feedback."

If they were useless they wouldn't be used in motorsport.

From Whiteline:

you can feel the difference through improved turn-in...

;) Absolutely, and it's noticeable within a corner or two!!!

I would also be checking for rust elsewhere, to see if your car is from 'a salt-pan in japan' > check VINS fasted if you haven't already.

Yeah I'm pretty sure the car came from a salty part of Japan...

I've already had some rust taken out ... rear inner guards where salt laden ice/snow would stick (I've seen it as I lived in eastern europe ..all cars have ice hanging off those inner guards during winter). That didn't come back obviously ..but yeah the entire underside has mild surface rust which I plan to do a once over with Penetrol as soon as the struts are done and I can find someone willing to let me use a hoist for an hour or 2 :P

As far as the panel beater goes ...he's redoing the struts under warranty so atleast it wont cost me anything. He said he's gonna get some "acid" (presumably phosphoric acid which i've googled and its commonly used to prevent any new rust forming) I just gotta find this Penetrol stuff and give the whole underside a good coat. From what I've read this stuff really does its job as long as you cover it all properly and don't leave any uncovered spots.

What's a good type of paint to use on the underside incl diff etc once I've applied this penetrol ? Something that won't crack or be easily broken by rocks and so on

The way our Skyline suspension is they definetely give an improvement from an Engineering perspective. Every car is different and depending on the way their suspension design is it may have a great improvement or a minor one. On R32's a rear strut brace is also a very excellent upgrade due to the way the struts mount (different on the R33's/R34's). A remember reading a book that recommended it as one of the first upgrades to do to a R32 from a suspension point of view.

Also you are on drugs if you think a strut brace weighs 10kg. Most are made from aluminium (or titanium if an expensive one) and would barely weigh 2kg. The heaviest part is ususally the mounts on the strut towers since they are usually steel. My Greddy one feels about 1kg-1.5kg as it doesn't use the conventional "full circle" mount on the strut towers.

Edited by PM-R33

agreed

I bought mine second hand, im not sure but I think its a cusco one and it weighs next to nothing.

Also felt a difference with the strut brace on. Looking into getting a rear strut brace sometime soon but things keep jumping ahead of it on the list of things to do lol.

With the R33, because the rear struts are mounted up inside of the parcel shelf it actually gives them a very good mounting position by using the complete parcel shelf for strength.

You can however fit a rear boot brace (which people refer to as a rear strut brace on the R33) however it would only marginally reduce body flex and really isn't that great of an upgrade. Just try and find a S2 GTST or GTR stock one for cheap since they come with them from factory (like in mine).

The GTR also has a lot more bracing on it over the GTST which if found second hand can be a slight good upgrade.

Edited by PM-R33

• 7 months later...