SAU Community

[Closed] Borg Warner Efr Series Turbos

Lithium

I cannot see why people are still using twin setups. If garret cannot develop a rear housing for their gtx twin range, means to me that the problem is with the rear housing. It nearly cost me an engine in 6min of track time.

The setup that Piggaz is referring to is mine.

All I can say about the setup is that I should of done it earlier and not bothered with twin -5's.

IT'S FCKN AWESOME in all areas. Just do it and you won't look back.

• Like 1

Have tuned an Rb30/25 with 7670 twinscroll EG. Made approx 29.5psi @ 3050rpm. Found shaft speed was approaching its limit at 25psi up top.

Matt

Edited by BoostdR
  • Like 1

The BW EFR turbos have a speed sensor that you can install on them to measure the rpm of the turbo. They have upper limits of course. There's a pretty fixed relationship between boost, speed and airflow (from memory, don't scold me if i'm wrong!) so it helps with safety and getting a good handle on exactly whats going on in your setup

The exact same one that sits on the back end of -5's

Ok, but that was made in the 90's. Do you know why they didn't make a newer design rear housing?

With my setup, the turbo is making noise at 2000 and at 3000 it wants to rip your face off.

The BW EFR turbos have a speed sensor that you can install on them to measure the rpm of the turbo. They have upper limits of course. There's a pretty fixed relationship between boost, speed and airflow (from memory, don't scold me if i'm wrong!) so it helps with safety and getting a good handle on exactly whats going on in your setup

Boost and flow doesn't have a fixed relationship. That's why I'm maxing out at 25psi on a 3 litre. A 4cly 2ltr would prob take 30psi before maxing out.

Keeping under the speed limit stops the turbine falling off.

ah yes my mechanic did install the speed sensor for the RPM on the compressor wheel. also recommended I get one.

he said due to the lightweight material used on BW, its a good idea to keep an eye on how fast it is spinning so you don't break it!

just post the gtx turbos up here and I'll test them for you

So you can find out 1st hand how hard they will fail and prove me right about all the shit i been harping on about in the GTX thread? Of how GTX compressors wont work with factory location housings?

Garrett put these compressor wheels in their own housings for a reason mate ;)

Honestly Pete you will be making the right move taking the EFR route.

So what if the GTX wheels turn out to be a "tad better" (which i highly doubt) will the machining costs etc be worth it? The EFR will still punch holes in them from 800rpm - 8000rpm in every single way and the money spent on machining etc goes to a manifold for the single an intake pipe, a cooler pipe change and a dump pipe.

The offset in the price wouldn't be that much different (if going IWG .92) BUT i guarantee the result and the way the car drive will be 100% better!