SAU Community

Guess I'm just old and fear change but this new format sux. Far more time consuming to navigate, The pages are not clearly defined as in half the time I find myself rereading stickys because there is no clear demarcation line between them and new posts, When I click on a series of multiple pics I cant simply move on to the next pic without having to reopen the whole thread again.

Some notice would have been nice too, Like others on here I was in the middle of negotiations via pm only to lose contact without warning.

No doubt we will become accustomed to it but as it stands I see nothing to like over the old format.

• Like 1
  • Nope 1

Can someone help me please. i switched from the mobile site to the full site on my phone and now can't go back.

How did you get OUT of mobile mode to start with? The mobile site sucks more than the old one used to, and I can't work out how to get rid of it!

Guess I'm just old and fear change but this new format sux. Far more time consuming to navigate, The pages are not clearly defined as in half the time I find myself rereading stickys because there is no clear demarcation line between them and new posts, When I click on a series of multiple pics I cant simply move on to the next pic without having to reopen the whole thread again.

Some notice would have been nice too, Like others on here I was in the middle of negotiations via pm only to lose contact without warning.

No doubt we will become accustomed to it but as it stands I see nothing to like over the old format.

+1 to all of this. This new layout is horrible. Please tell me there will be a skin that makes the board look like it used to. I'm really hoping this isn't a forced upgrade ala facebook.

Noel and Marc... you guys just got repped up by one each by the way. This new layout is so confusing that I clicked the button where the "quote and reply" button used to be, by accident.

i know private messaging isnt working as yet, but dose this upgrade mean old pm have been deleted?

No.

If you please read the update - it says we are in the conversion process.

It will take a day or two, and you'll get all of your stuff back :thanks:

I concur Noel, I have raised this in the Admin area.

One thing to remember is that the forum is currently running off the default "skin". So there is room for changes/enhancements in many areas yet.

There was notice given via Announcements, perhaps not everyone read it.

Emailing everyone could potentially bring down the site (55,000+ emails), so we have to rely on that really.

Overall, the stock/factory skin is bad. But this will be altered :thanks:

Duno about everyone else, but I liked the old theme/layout MUCH better.

What seriously pisses me, is then I click to open pictures in new tab, it opens in my current window and blocked out everything else :thanks:

Edited by Ten Four

What seriously pisses me, is then I click to open pictures in new tab, it opens in my current window and blocked out everything else :thanks:

Same here re: picture popouts....

As with any major overhaul...there will be bugs etc to iron out. But I think the new site is excellent...just will take a little getting used to.

Top work Christian and team!

• Like 1

yeah so far looks good, like other would have liked a thread maybe in each section.. if there was didnt see one, but yeah selling parts and now i cant.. but oh well cant complain...

going to have an area/ subforums for stores like on ns.com? Stores page I think it would be a good idea and good competition with Loz :thanks:

hey guys im trying to view a private converstation that was started but im getthing this error - [#10226] You are not allowed to use the private messaging system. and theres nothing on the help about it.

can any1 help?

• Nope 2

What about settings and PM/control panel? I can't find how to get there!

PM's are disbled atm.

christian please get rid of the attached pics opening in the same page flash thingy. linked pics from photobucket etc are alright, but the thumbnails are crap. cant even right click them to open in a new window/tab. hafta drag and drop. one of the most annoying features of browsing NS and i hate to see it here

Agreed. Done.

BTW performance on the new setup is excellent

Yeah, its much better. Did a lot of db/server optimising also.

Can someone help me please. i switched from the mobile site to the full site on my phone and now can't go back.

Um. Via a browser or the iPhone app?

i know private messaging isnt working as yet, but dose this upgrade mean old pm have been deleted?

No sir.

Heya. I kinda understand about the pages being clear but I dont understand what you mean about the images. There wad *so* much notice. Theres been announcements up for weeks, two weeks ago I posted saying that there'd be extended downtime coming up.

How did you get OUT of mobile mode to start with? The mobile site sucks more than the old one used to, and I can't work out how to get rid of it!

+1 to all of this. This new layout is horrible. Please tell me there will be a skin that makes the board look like it used to. I'm really hoping this isn't a forced upgrade ala facebook.

Noel and Marc... you guys just got repped up by one each by the way. This new layout is so confusing that I clicked the button where the "quote and reply" button used to be, by accident.

Is this only an aesthetic complaint? Is it only the colours and layout that you dont like or is there some functionality that irks you also?

Looks good, seems faster as well :nyaanyaa:

Thanks! :thanks:

What seriously pisses me, is then I click to open pictures in new tab, it opens in my current window and blocked out everything else :D

What about the old theme did you like? (And which did you use? Light or dark?)

Agreed about the pics, should be fixed.

• Like 2

hey guys im trying to view a private converstation that was started but im getthing this error - [#10226] You are not allowed to use the private messaging system. and theres nothing on the help about it.

can any1 help?

Read the announcement.

Same here re: picture popouts....

As with any major overhaul...there will be bugs etc to iron out. But I think the new site is excellent...just will take a little getting used to.

Top work Christian and team!

Thanks man! :thanks:

This is like trying to read a newspaper with 40 storys on the page and no headings.

On what forum view or topic view?

I'm trying to make this site friendly to everybody and if that means I have to pay a designer to put together some skins for us then we can do that. BUT to do that I need better feedback. Things like "This layout sucks, the old one was better!" doesn't clarify anything for me and wont help me work out the next round of changes.

Keep the feedback coming.

Its very vague in an over all context Prank. The old forum layout was far more compact and better defined. One could surf the page and immediately go to wherever the interest lay.

I personally would have preferred that other sections of the forum be left till last rather than the private message section. Its amazing how much negotiating and chit chat behind the scenes actually goes down in there.

The final call is yours but you asked for feedback and i am giving you one older user's opinion but the reason I stopped my rare visits to the ns forum was for the same reason. Its just not as user friendly as the old layout.

Its very vague in an over all context Prank. The old forum layout was far more compact and better defined. One could surf the page and immediately go to wherever the interest lay.

I personally would have preferred that other sections of the forum be left till last rather than the private message section. Its amazing how much negotiating and chit chat behind the scenes actually goes down in there.

The final call is yours but you asked for feedback and i am giving you one older user's opinion but the reason I stopped my rare visits to the ns forum was for the same reason. Its just not as user friendly as the old layout.

Ok cool. I have a couple of skins to trial this week, would like to get your feedback on them to see if they address your concerns?

Regarding the PM's, whether they were done before or after the upgrade is irrelevant because they would have required disabling either way. This way at least the forum can function while they are offline.

For the record, guys. The new forums gives us a lot more freedom with modifications, skins, etc. Nothing is permanent and I want everybody to be happier on the new system than the old one, so whatever you want (within reason :thanks:) we can look at trying to incorporate into the site.

The site is as much yours as it is mine.

• Like 1

Shan i'm using the browser on my android based phone. i was on the mobile site but then t the bottom of the page it had the option to return to the full site so i did that and now i can't find an option to let me switch back. it may be because there re no other skins available to choose from at the moment as i think that would be how i would do it (having the mobile site as a skin option).

As for what skin gets my vote, as long as there is a dark coloured skin i will be happy, lol. the layout and function of this setup doesn't bother me much as i'm on other forums that already use it and i find it easy enough to navigate.

Very minor issue I noticed, I didn't see it in the list.

When editing a signature, the old signature uses HTML style <a href... and other tags.

Hitting save on that will result in the html tags becoming text content (so my signature had <a href=<website>> text </a>, so you have to re-write it to the newer tags [url...] et cetera :thanks:

Not a major issue, just slightly annoying.

The upgrade & performance are great!

first of all, good work on the upgrade Christian thumbsup.gif the sites looking good and new little features are pretty cool, i especially like the how you can bring up the first and last post in a preview popup window without going into the topic.

a couple of things i've noticed since the change over. when viewing the site on the iPhone/Mobile site everyones avatars are actually there personal picture if you know what i mean. so when viewing your posts on the iPhone your avatar is, well i'm guessing its you with your baby.

and remember on the old version when there was a topic with multiple pages, there was that little box you could click on just before the page number links that would open a popup and you could type in a page number to load. thats not there anymore. not really a big issue and its no real loss, i've just gone to use a couple times tonight before realising it wasn't there.

keep up the good work Christian.

Edited by QWK32