SAU Community

-5's Vs Rs's On A Larger Then Stock Motor

Piggaz

So just to confirm, the consensus here on ultimate front half exhaust setup for a GTR is:

- Tomei Expreme Dump Pipes

http://www.kudosmotorsports.com/catalog/tomei-dump-pipe-tomei-expreme-nissan-skyline-rb26dett-p-601.html

- HKS Large Front Pipes:

http://www.rhdjapan.com/hks-stainless-front-pipe-nissan-skyline-gt-r-50314

If you like brand names then i suppose.

I mean there is nothing that a local fabricator can't do for less (ie front pipes).

So just to confirm, the consensus here on ultimate front half exhaust setup for a GTR is:

http://www.kudosmoto...dett-p-601.html

- HKS Large Front Pipes:

http://www.rhdjapan....line-gt-r-50314

I've got a set of the HKS pipes on my car and man are they sexy !

I mean there is nothing that a local fabricator can't do for less (ie front pipes).

Yup cool, I suppose its easy with the brand names as you can see what the goal is. Then you have the choice to get a local fabricator to do a similar design or pay for the brand.

What if you borrowed a set, took them to your fabricator and said can you make something similar ?

EDIT: Just saw that was what you said basically, Sorry.

Edited by Nee-san

my locally made dump pipe is 4" and was all of $500 inc external w/gate plumb back.

my locally made dump pipe is 4" and was all of $500 inc external w/gate plumb back.

Single turbo I assume - is that in stainless?

I very much see the point for getting it locally made by someone that knows what they are doing. There are many that don't, and usually the ones that will do it for next to nix.

I like the idea of HKS or Midori, or Racepace for that matter, in that it's likely undergone enough design and testing in-house before it made it to your car.

It's the little things getting custom work that *can* come back to bite you - cracks, vibration on other parts etc. Can quickly make the $300-400 difference in price no longer worth it.

The custom front pipe on my old Evo use to knock on the underbody bracing a little when turning right... pi$$ed me right off.

But obviously a single turbo 4" external wastegate dump is a lot less complicated and intricate then 2 smaller internal wastegate dump pipes.

Still good just saying its not really comparable. But I suppose it does at least give you some idea of costs.

Paul, when you taking your fridge out? bring it over my place :thumbsup:

Stop stuffing about and order the HKS V-Cam System... lol...$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yeah no worries. You pay for it and ill run it!

Single turbo I assume - is that in stainless?

I very much see the point for getting it locally made by someone that knows what they are doing. There are many that don't, and usually the ones that will do it for next to nix.

I like the idea of HKS or Midori, or Racepace for that matter, in that it's likely undergone enough design and testing in-house before it made it to your car.

It's the little things getting custom work that *can* come back to bite you - cracks, vibration on other parts etc. Can quickly make the $300-400 difference in price no longer worth it.

The custom front pipe on my old Evo use to knock on the underbody bracing a little when turning right... pi$ed me right off.

mild steel and yes single turbo however i can guarantee that there is a whole lot more metal in my dump pipe than in the little twins

mild steel and yes single turbo however i can guarantee that there is a whole lot more metal in my dump pipe than in the little twins

Yeah but its the number of bends and welds that is labour intensive. The price of a 4" 45 degree bend is what $25? Hourly labour rate would be $50-80?

http://www.kudosmoto...dett-p-601.html

- HKS Large Front Pipes:

http://www.rhdjapan....line-gt-r-50314

I have built a RB31/26DETT 824hp -engine hp

264 9.8 HKS

Tomei Dumps

3" x 2 (no mufflers)

530ft lb @ 2800rpm

22psi max

Garrett -10's

Ported std manifolds

BP98 with 10% methanol

Motec

I have built and own RB31/26DETT 455rwkw

264 9.8 HKS

Tomei Dumps

3.5" exahust 2x mufflers

1bar boost @ 4000rpm

HKS GTRS

Chinese Manifolds (soon to be 6 boost)

20psi (run out of injector and fuel pressure)

E85

PFC with Z32's

http://www.kudosmotorsports.com/catalog/tomei-dump-pipe-tomei-expreme-nissan-skyline-rb26dett-p-601.html

- HKS Large Front Pipes:

http://www.rhdjapan.com/hks-stainless-front-pipe-nissan-skyline-gt-r-50314

it is for me. that's the ultimate combo I've come up with after trying a few. and having seen results from many others too.

I will measure up the HKS pipes this weekend. I have a new set sitting in it's box but not at my house. will be able to get at them on the weekend.

oh, yes those pics on RHD are the correct HKS front pipes. one thing to note, they are quoting ID as 70mmX2 and single 85mm. most other places seem to quote OD which makes these approx 75mm X2 and 90mm single when comparing to other exhausts. I'll still measure mine this weekend, but those are the ones. best front pipes I've ever seen. have flex joint, have very, very nice welding, flanges welded on the inside, good quality stainless, extra thick flanges to help stop distortion and etc etc. they are the goods.

I have built and own RB31/26DETT 455rwkw

264 9.8 HKS

Tomei Dumps

3.5" exahust 2x mufflers

1bar boost @ 4000rpm

HKS GTRS

Chinese Manifolds (soon to be 6 boost)

20psi (run out of injector and fuel pressure)

E85

PFC with Z32's

Similar boost response to my setup.

RB26 hideck stroker 3.15lt (87x87.5)

Vspec 2 stock cams

Trust extension split dumps, Nismo cat and 80mm Nismo exhaust

0.8 bar boost with no boost controller, just a direct wastegate connection at the moment

Ceramic coated match ported manifolds

Ceramic coated HKS GTRS's

BP98

D-Jetro

Full boost at around 3800-3900. Makes boost around 2000 rpm in 1st or 2nd. Virtually no lag to speak of.

I still havent done a power dyno tune yet. Ive got a few more things to change and sort out on the car yet. My power goal is 450awkw. I'd be interested to know what final RPM and boost you ran to achieve your power figure.

Edited by GTRNUR

^^

Stock cams. I have been thinking about this a little over the lst few weeks. Are the cams alot of us guys put in too large? Everyone has their own views on this but alot of people are getting awsome results with cams on the smaller scale!

Cams is always an interesting debate, long argued, no real end result.

There are basically two ways of thinking.

- Larger cams, combined with a LOT of head work, oversized valves and all that $$$ jazz - works very well great power overall. You do seem to take a hit in lower RPM however.

- Smaller cams, combined with a minor tidy up - works well but gives better off/on throttle response & low RPM performance as a result.

Obviously the is about as gross of a generalisation as one can make without typing a thesis.

The bigger/flow will obviously be more efficient as RPM and perhaps make more power. Yet the smaller option will perhaps not make quite the same peak yet give you more gains on/off the loud pedal.

Depends what you are after really. Most Racepace GTR's here in Melb 2.6-2.8ltr run factory cams from what it appears. Bigger than that the advice is the 3ltr does like a little bit of larger cam love given the displacement alterations.

Syd seems a different view where everything is oversized (valves, cams, porting).

Issue is - all the results are on a dyno for both states. Now as my RB26 comparo from Racepace showed... The turbos virtually have identical boost/power graphs (-9 & -5). Yet on the street/circuit it is markedly different. It would be up to the owner to decide what they are after I guess.

Pity you weren't about over Xmas. I do intend to come up again in a month or two so I can show you the Mexican build lol.

Cams is always an interesting debate, long argued, no real end result.

There are basically two ways of thinking.

- Larger cams, combined with a LOT of head work, oversized valves and all that $$$ jazz - works very well great power overall. You do seem to take a hit in lower RPM however.

- Smaller cams, combined with a minor tidy up - works well but gives better off/on throttle response & low RPM performance as a result.

Obviously the is about as gross of a generalisation as one can make without typing a thesis.

The bigger/flow will obviously be more efficient as RPM and perhaps make more power. Yet the smaller option will perhaps not make quite the same peak yet give you more gains on/off the loud pedal.

Depends what you are after really. Most Racepace GTR's here in Melb 2.6-2.8ltr run factory cams from what it appears. Bigger than that the advice is the 3ltr does like a little bit of larger cam love given the displacement alterations.

Syd seems a different view where everything is oversized (valves, cams, porting).

Issue is - all the results are on a dyno for both states. Now as my RB26 comparo from Racepace showed... The turbos virtually have identical boost/power graphs (-9 & -5). Yet on the street/circuit it is markedly different. It would be up to the owner to decide what they are after I guess.

Pity you weren't about over Xmas. I do intend to come up again in a month or two so I can show you the Mexican build lol.

Its just funny what a little bit of extra capacity does. Then you have the theory or small duration and large lift.... IE a 260 @ 10.8mm.

Throw Marks car built by HKS in the mix and that has 1.5 OS valves with relatively small cams (264 @ 9.7) and all the fruit and makes the numbers.Hmm.

Ah you coming up again? Might have to get a few of us together and have 'one or two' beers *cough* haha :whistling: