SAU Community

Hr31 Coupe Rb26 (For Now)

DCIEVE

• 1 month later...

Final few bit's and pieces have come back from the powdercoater. Also received another pile of parts from the guys at garage7 including some heat control items (gold film, heat wrap etc), carter lift pump, sway bar end links etc.

heatcont_02.jpg

variouspcoated_01.jpg

main_hoop_01.jpg

Looking awesome Nick, it's changed so much since the last time I saw it in person!

By the way, where did you get your stuff powdercoated?? Looking to get my rocker covers done but haven't found a place in Perth who will do small jobs like that...

• 1 month later...

Hey Nick,

Awesome work dude, i have just recently joined the skyline world... Hope to take a lead out of your book... As i'm looking to do something similar to what you have done for entry to a local motorsport category.

• 1 month later...

A few more updates - this project has taken a back seat lately but I manage to squeeze an hour or two in occasionally.

Getting to like rivnuts - used them to mount the battery

c36688b1.jpg

Tried to make a start on the new fuel feed line but straightening it is as far as I've gotten

6591aba5.jpg

Battery isolation mounted on the shifter surround - looks close to the shifter but it's actually in third here.

b5e262b9.jpg

Another bracket - this one for the lift pump which is going under the boot floor.

b14370ea.jpg

Reading Harry's thread (http://www.skylinesa...136-dr30-build/) reminded me I need to sort out the rear camber so I pulled out the rear subframe only to find this :(

142b4672.jpg

e801c372.jpg

Steve May helped out with a new subframe which is off getting the standard bushes pressed out. Harry's mate Brae machined up these solid bushes for the new subframe (cheers mate!) - almost seems a shame to stick them under the car.

e577a654.jpg

Had some set backs fitting up all the adjustable front suspension gear so while I'm waiting for some replacement bits to be machined I got into one of the more enjoyable jobs - putting together braided lines.

0259b6dd.jpg

0d90cef6.jpg

303f80f2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Brae - yeh the subframe is a mess! After you mentioned it I gave Stewart Wilkins a call and now a camber/toe kit is on it's way - pretty much the same set-up the Gibson R31's used so hopefully it gives plenty of adjustment.

Also had some more machining done - new 4340 king pins for the adjustable LCA's after the ones supplied with the kit galled (forgot to use anti-seize, but seriously - who zinc coats critical fasteners!?).

587D0679-9F69-4867-B02F-0705FE18BB4C-121-0000000960E30CAF.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Vacuum lines for the two WG's has been a bit of work but it's coming together reasonably well and provided a nice break from lying under the car!

Almost done here, just missing one line and then I'll cover everything in firesleeve.

6DC3B636-98B1-4B19-883E-B78D10660685-6911-00000C68B6A704D4.jpg

Made a start on the intake side - completed the rail to FPR fuel line, tapped the old PCV so it can act as a vac source for the FPR (bottom middle) and also tapped the coolant bleed point for the header tank (bottom left).

298902F8-BE0D-4BD6-A67F-F5CDCEAF9168-6911-00000C688675622E.jpg

The new subframe to replace the butchered one had some surface rust so I've been cleaning that up before it and the trailing arms go to brad stacy. Driveshafts and diff will also get some attention.

4CC24B17-9D87-4C0B-9833-7C1A727197EB-2763-000004C5F6C9841D.jpg

The adjustable trailing arm parts

06DA5F0E-54A1-4047-B217-4A72C5D3ECE8-5833-00000A8F5787D077.jpg

Most of the front suspension bit's and pieces are in now as well.

3E6EC3C6-CA89-499A-9190-A0ED9D574119-2763-000004C5ED9AF2DC.jpg

very interested in seeing how the trailing arm bits go.

i got under the gibson 31 at the nats and saw they'd mounted theres on top of the subframe. i think for helping the roll centre?

I'll post more details once they're welded in but bascially the RHS welds to the end of the inner mount on the trailing arm after chopping the std end off. Should give 15mm of adjustment and I'll weld it in 10mm higher to begin with. It's pretty similar to what the Gibson cars have done but easier to adjust - I'm not sure if the Gibson cars re-mounted the outer as well?

Powercruise?

Not at this stage. Still needs an engine and wiring but otherwise pretty close. Also just found out it needs new driveshafts which aren't particularly easy to find...

0748C5DC-238A-4C99-B852-5C00CAB1C3C9-8819-00000F87D7D03CFB.jpg

sweet, yea those stewart wilkins adjusters are the go, look the goods

btw with the shafts ive heard u can use bits from r32s to rebuild them ? i cannot confirm this but its on my to do list

Edited by ydr030

Should upgrade to an R33 rearend. They're easy to find.

If I could find someone that I trust to do the work I'd consider it but unfortunately my preferred fabricator isn't interested. Given I already have a 2way mech diff, billet axles and coilovers to suit the current rear end machining billet driveshafts would be the next step. I'm reasonably sure breaking the diff mount and dragging the diff/subframe along the ground is the cause in this case...fingers crossed.

sweet, yea those stewart wilkins adjusters are the go, look the goods

btw with the shafts ive heard u can use bits from r32s to rebuild them ? i cannot confirm this but its on my to do list

Interesting!! I might grab some r32 shafts and see what's interchangeable - I'm assuming GTR? It's just the CV's that are the issue in this case - the shafts themselves are fine.