SAU Community

GTR front lips - re posted

The Sherrid

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, guys it seems that there is more than enough interest for the lips. I am jsut sourcing a series 3 lip that is in good condition and i havnt forgotten about you prank.

If anybody would like to beat me to the punch and has a series 3 lip in good condition then let me know as the lucky person will get theirs for free!

I just had a very good email requesting the price of the carbon fibre lips.

In the original post I wrote that the lips would be $150 ea or $100 for 5 or more.

This price was for the fibre glass ones only

However the carbon fibre ones would be around twice the price. After checking the cost of materials The cost has been finalized to $300 each and $250 for 5 or more!

If anyone has any issues please contact me one way or another.

My appolagies if anyone has been mislead!

YES, Mesh confirmed. as i said i am sorry to let anyone down, it is not my intention to mislead anyone. I re - read the post and realized that i had made a blunder. I know its not difficult to read but i became a bit careless with the details of the buy and focused on the posting rules so i didnt have to repost and loose momentum with the interest.

I think its a reasonable deal for you guys and you may too if you do a little research yourself. I'm not offering a charity, I'm in it to make a profit and you guys should be in it to take advantage of the services i can offer.

Let me break it down to you

Material costs $47.65 per square metre (carbon fibre) - full sq mtr used for 1 lip

resin costs $5.00

mould release wax $1.00

clean rags, paint brusshes etc small costs $6.00

about 6 hours to make one, about $15.00 per hour - not included in cost

Clear paint $60 per litre - 250 ml used per lip

Spray painter to paint, block and polish 6 coats, and polish between every two coats to give a superior product. $100

so the total is now mmm let me do it for you, cost for a carbon fibre lip is $174.65

so for 6 hours work and some orgaisational work i get 75.35 that gives me $12.55 per hour. do you work for less than $15.00 per hour?

I dont know what you guys do for a job, but working in the race car industry, makes you a perfectionist. I too have a nice car and help with advice where ever i can to those without much knowledge. I am not a businessman here trying to make a fast buck and I dont make crap products!!!!!!

$250 sounds more reasonable than $300. You're up against genuine plastic lips that won't crack or shatter unless you pretty much smash the car. These can be bought 2nd hand (in perfect condition) for $400 (albeit not Series 3 design)...

And it's always hard to advertise one price and then suddenly double that price and not get customer dissention. It's human nature to feel ripped off and decieved.

The way I figured it was I was able to get the Series 3 style lip for $150, and if it cracked.... meh. Not a big deal... But now we're talking $250 for a lip that is quite liable to crack and shatter, it's still a bit harder to justify.

Just a bit of feedback from where I'm standing at the moment.

ph1: The carbon kevlar is again twice as expensive as the carbon fibre.

Merli: Ithankyou for being honest and feed back is nescessary for me to make something that will make your cars stand out and ofcourse add pride to your machine.

Just a short on the durability,

I have noticed that some may not be familiar with the durability of the materials on offer.

Fibre glass: The way in which the glass is layed and the amount of resin used determines flexability. If you request something to be very thick for example 8 to 10 mm thck then the likelyhood of it shatering is much greater. On the otherhand something very thin eg 2 to 4 mm thick is likely to flex alot but may tear so a happy medium between these two is what i try to achieve. If you damage the lip it can be repaired for $50 at most even if its in two bits. then ofcourse painting and re-fitting etc.

Carbon fibre: Is much more flexable and stronger (like 10 fold) in both aspects when applied with the happy medium aplication. but when fixed the repair will stand out like dogs balls because the criss cross pattern will be disturbed unless painted in a colour other than clear. It will still be smooth as a baby's but just the pattern will be disturbed.

Carbon kevlar is very similar to carbon fibre but twice as flexable and strong and also twice the price. It too will look ugly if a repair is needed unless painted in a colour other than clear.