SAU Community

Handbrake's R35 Build Part 2

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

engine out today. just a shell left now.

the boys have made some trolleys seeing as the car will be without a front or rear end for some time

going up tomorrow to see the boys.

Will be there to look at ur naked beast :D

WOW

this is one crazy build. all the best for this mate. not that you need it seeing as you have top quality shops doing all the work for you but WOW.

also the pic in your sic...do you have high res pic i could use as my desktop please?

For the pic go to downshiftaus.com.au and look for the mercury dyno day blog entry. Navigate to the high res image on flickr.

Re: dashboard, will see which pieces survive the development process, then all pieces will be up for grabs

I have Scott Beeton, a former F1 Aerodynamicist working on the design of the aero pieces.

He is currently busy getting the initial geometry prepared for the baseline GTR CFD simulation.

finally got to meet mark today!

after talking to him for abit, i got to say, he is really enjoy doing this.

u can actually feel the excitement from his tone when he's talking about the things they are going to do to his gtr.

Can't wait to see the end result.

And good luck with the Aero pieces.

*in a vin disel voice* not a bad way to spend $150k!!

You sir have just jumped into one of top ten car builds of all time. cudos to taking such a fantastic base and making it even better! Im sure this will stir many jealous souls. the end result should put this car to the standards or if not higher then the infamous mines vehicles.

cant wait to see the results!

please send my condulances to your wallet...but thank it at the same time!!

• 2 weeks later...

There's noise restriction on the track!?:blink:

Those pipe look sexy though.

Unfortunatley yes :(

I have to say this is THE only R35 I like anywhere in the world

It has actual development work done and Mr Handbrake doent have the big head of 99% of R35 owners

:D

There's noise restriction on the track!?:blink:

Yes unfortunately some tracks have noise restrictions, Lakeside is one of them Eric.

Went there last week with the stock exhaust on because of it.

Mr Handbrake doent have the big head of 99% of R35 owners

It's better not to have a big head, less chance of looking stupid when you get things wrong.

Unfortunatley yes :(

I have to say this is THE only R35 I like anywhere in the world

It has actual development work done and Mr Handbrake doent have the big head of 99% of R35 owners

:D

Mark certainly doesnt have a big head.

But i would say 99% is an very unfair BS generalisation.

How many R35's in the country? 300? i guess only 3 have their head screwed on right.

The rest of us ae dickheads i suppose.

Edited by LSX-438

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Latest Posts

• Hi Andy and welcome!  Got any pics of the customers cars you're talking about? 
    • Thanks for that Komdotkom Does anyone by chance know what the thread is on the end of the hard line of the GTST front brake system before it goes to the braided line - will need to get a fitting to put in there as you say. Could you do this with the caliper on the car? Just get the pistons all the way back with a spacer or even some clamps? Im running a 36mm disc and 18mm pads - the pistons are almost as far back as they can get but i think with some old pads and a wedge I can make sure. Just easier if the caliper is mounted to something.
    • The most important thing to do is to ensure that the pistons are fully back in the bores so that you can't get air bubbles forming behind them. If you've got AKB springs then you'll need to make some timber wedges to hold them back which is pretty simple - but you'll need wedges for bleeding anyway to stop the pistons moving up the bore. I'm a big fan of bleeding calipers from the 'bottom' because bubbles like to go 'up'. Since you're going to have the calipers off the car and mounted to some sort of fixture (unless you've got 5 sets of hands) I'd suggest that you bleed it by introducing fluid from both directions and with the caliper in both orientations. Get a barb for the end of your braided line and go to the chemist and get a 100ml syringe to force the fluid through with. You can use any old shit fluid for this (*new) because you'll displace it once you bleed the system properly later on with SRF or similar. Probably worth cracking the transfer pipe too just to be sure. Once you've got brake fluid everywhere and no more bubbles stick the caliper back on the car and bleed the fluid up from the caliper to the MC.
    • I've never had a T51R mod done on a turbo but can answer things to at least give you things to consider. Firstly, I'm pretty sure "T51R mod" is not going to be a completely standard identical design.  Different folks will make their own calls on how they want to make the sound, and different compressors and housings will give different amounts of space to work with as well - so the design and effect from company to company and turbo to turbo will be arbitrary.    In terms of "is it the same", no... it won't be, I'm pretty confident of that.   Whether it will have a negative (or NOT negative for that matter) effect really would be foolish of any of us to speculate on without any data.  Surge slots, or map width enchancement grooves basically bleed air from part way up the compressor out to the compressor inlet... effectively from the turbo's point of view it is an air leak that allows the turbo to be re-fed with the air that has been leaked.  When done "right" it can allow air that the turbo can't pump into the engine efficiently to spill back into the intake as opposed to cause a surge condition. Simply put, it has a direct effect on the efficiency of the compressor wheel.  When you are getting up to the maximum capacity of the compressor wheel the design of the intake and compressor rely on every bit of area of the inducer etc to work as efficiently as possible, if you have something literally designed to cause a leak of turbulent air (to make the sound) back to the intake it's hard to imagine there won't be some cost to the higher end of the flow capacity but I wouldn't dare even try and guess if it were either major, or academic.  Just bare in mind there will be an effect. On the "upside", I'm assuming you are going to be running the 1.05a/r hotside you had on the EFR9180 as you mentioned you don't want to do any fabrication work, and the 1.45 hotside DOES need the dump pipe (and as such, possibly exhaust) shifted as it actually pushes the turbine outlet further from the CHRA... its a huge housing.   I doubt you'll be able to safely push the 1.05a/r hotside on pump gas far enough for the 9280 compressor to actually start getting to the point you have to worry about sacrificing a bit of flow for sound. As you know, I'm a big EFR fan where it suits - unlike some, I just go on merits and suitability for setups and there are a lot of cases they are unbeatable.   In the case of where you're going though, I'm not convinced that line is the best thing for the job.  To do it right I'd either stay with what you have, as you're finding it's pretty hard to make the car more powerful than it is without sacrificing "something" - or do a "proper" upgrade to an all new beast that has the turbine flow to support what you are looking for, and arguably also has the T51R sound and vibe which I'm hardly going to throw stones at you for looking for... you'll remember that my turbo choice for my old R33 was absolutely influenced by the induction noise the GT3076Rs make haha.    Given the price of an EFR9280 and T51R mod, any work to get it installed and tuned to suit may turn out to give a result that makes you wonder if it was worth the effort - but if you're willing to spend that and not worried about massive gains, I'm pretty sure what you're proposing *will* give you some of that sound and probably stretch the power out a bit further in the rpm.   I've so far not heard any unmodified EFR sound "whistly" like what I'm assuming you're looking for, though.
    • Re trying to identify what it might (or might not be) a bit better, can you post up some good clear pics of the plenum and where it is bolted to the throttles/intake manifold/whatever is there. An rb26 inlet manifold does not bolt straight onto an rb25 head due to different port placement/shapes, so there is either some sort of adapter plate, or it is a 26 head